Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East England & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 01/03/14

Snowangel-MK

Posted

Aww CK, I am sure you are the perfect Fairy Godfather. :)  I hope the day goes well for you today. Currently 6.3c here this morning which is quite warm compared to of late.  It's been raining at some point as my windows are wet. Today we are going out for Sunday lunch today, so looking forward to no washing up afterwards. :) Have a good day everyone.

Chilly Milly, I don't think you would want to see me dressed up in my tutu :-). Sorry about all the spelling etc mistakes above, I blame the wine last night.
  • Like 1

Posted

Morning all. It's another reasonable start to the day here with the sun doing it's best to brighten things up through some fairly thick cloud.

Apart from that I am 'looking forward' to yet another thoroughly boring day here in the wilderness. Have a good one folks.Posted Image

Edited by Bluebreezer54
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Not sure, but it might be Rossby waves.

Ah, thanks, CR. I just looked that up and it mentioned a guy called 'Arvid'. That was it....The Arvid Effect. Posted Image I knew it had been named after someone.

Carl-Gustaf Arvid Rossby was a Swedish-U.S. meteorologist who first explained the large-scale motions of the atmosphere in terms of fluid mechanics.

Atmospheric Rossby waves describe the large scale meanders in the jet stream and are due to the variation in the Coriolis force as air moves north and south. The waves were first identified 1939 by Carl-Gustaf Arvid Rossby and are fundamental to understanding the global circulation and its natural variability. It has been known for some time that variations in tropical heating associated with anomalous rainfall acts as a source of Rossby waves. Furthermore, theory says that Rossby waves can only propagate where the ambient flow is westerly. This is why the westerly duct in the tropical East Pacific is critical in bringing wave energy into the deep tropics where it can activate weather systems and feed the Atlantic jet as described in this paper.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/media/pdf/n/i/Recent_Storms_Briefing_Final_07023.pdf

Edited by MKsnowangel
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Morning all

Bit of a lie in today (which was nice) and on my second cuppa already O.o so I may be a bit lively for a while later, sure some beer will have the opposite result later this evening (no work tomorrow yippee).  Dull is the best way to describe todays weather so far, cloud as far as the eye can see and I can see the trees are quite excited so it must be a tad breezey too, shed temp thingy tells me it is 8.0oC out there at the mo.

What ever your doing today, I have it is a good day (unless your about to spend a lot of money on a wedding).

• Like 3

Posted

post-10773-0-72298300-1393755764_thumb.j

It's taken a couple of strong black coffee's and a walk in the fresh air to get me properly awake this morning.... I must have slept like a log !!  

Anyone want to buy a T-shirt....

post-10773-0-36706000-1393755730_thumb.j

....I know where there are some going cheap Posted Image

www. shop.dailyexpress. co. uk/lifestyle/fashion/clothes

• Like 3

Posted

Just checked the MO forecast for today and tomorrow and that is indicating a lot of wet for me, so running the charger out to the car now whilst it is dry, last thing I want to happen is it the car not starting Tuesday morning.

Whilst out I can confirm it is still dull and cloudy and quite windy as well but feeling less cold, infact rather mild I would say, looks like my potential walk to the next village a bit later may be a wet one.

Posted

Where are you all? (just coz it is Sunday, it is not a day of rest you know!!)

Anyway just checked the radar and rain is not here yet, but can see a quite potent band of it moving in from the west, so expect it to be squally and wet later today.

Going to add some stuff not weather related here in WHITE as AJ put me on the naughty step again a few days ago for posting non weather related stuff, and checking to see if this gets under the radar Posted Image

Edited by Jax
  • Like 2

Posted

Damn, just rescued the charger and extension reel as the rain arrived (well it is drizzle for now), and quite blowy out there too, can see the rest of today is going to be unsettled weather wise.

In other news, my phone is down to 35% charge after 2 days O.O, that is rather low as I do not use it that much, it is on charge now for my wander later.

Posted

I expect it'll be here soon then Jax. I've been busy baking this morning. We have scones and a Madeira cake is in the oven.

Walk to pub may be cancelled for lunch as not sure if eldest will be able to sit for the length of time it takes for a meal to arrive and then be eaten. Scratching head for alternative now.

Expecting the dog walk later, to be pretty damp. :(

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Chilly Milly, I don't think you would want to see me dressed up in my tutu :-).Sorry about all the spelling etc mistakes above, I blame the wine last night.

The moment you mention to caterers "it's a wedding" their prices go up 50%. We did a cunning trick by combining my Mum's 80th birthday party with our wedding reception (we'd married at a registry office the day before).

Boy were the caterers p'd off when they realised... we spent the money on this brilliant Swing band called Swervy World instead.

• Like 4

Posted

I expect it'll be here soon then Jax. I've been busy baking this morning. We have scones and a Madeira cake is in the oven.

Walk to pub may be cancelled for lunch as not sure if eldest will be able to sit for the length of time it takes for a meal to arrive and then be eaten. Scratching head for alternative now.

Expecting the dog walk later, to be pretty damp. Posted Image

Leave the eldest behind and go to the pub anyway *evil grin*

Posted

Just checked the MO forecast for today and tomorrow and that is indicating a lot of wet for me, so running the charger out to the car now whilst it is dry, last thing I want to happen is it the car not starting Tuesday morning.

Good grief man, have you ever considered just buying a new battery ?? It would probably work out cheaper than all the electricity you are using to charge the current one on an apparently weekly basis. Posted Image 

The sun has finally given up the fight here and it's now overcast with the wind picking up a notch or two. Still at least it's Spring. Posted Image

Posted

Good grief man, have you ever considered just buying a new battery ?? It would probably work out cheaper than all the electricity you are using to charge the current one on an apparently weekly basis. Posted Image

The sun has finally given up the fight here and it's now overcast with the wind picking up a notch or two. Still at least it's Spring. Posted Image

I am saving up for a new one, honest guv, just the car (or KA) has so many electrics it needs to be a posh beefy one it seems with lots of oms or summat, and they are not cheap :(

Bugger, non weather related post, OK OK, errrm, it is getting a tad brighter here now (I know, I am amazed too), but not expecting it to last looking at the radar.

Hiding more stuff in the *white space* to see iff it passes the mod radar....hummmmm

• Like 2

Posted

Have you got a carvery near you ? .....it might be a quicker alternative to the pub if you go after the lunchtime rush is over - the Toby one here you can get a carry out and eat it at home !

Just trying to decide what to have to last me until the roast lamb tonight.....I thought I could manage on just coffee all day but the fresh air and exercise has made me hungry Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted

The latest low pressure system and its associated frontal system bringing rain and wind spreading eastward through the UK, this will be nowhere near as stormy as what we’ve been getting…..

post-10773-0-19140700-1393763720_thumb.j

........ there are no signs of any significant cold or snow, in fact conditions should turn much milder and more settled for this region later next week Posted Image

• Like 3

Posted

I am saving up for a new one, honest guv, just the car (or KA) has so many electrics it needs to be a posh beefy one it seems with lots of oms or summat, and they are not cheap Posted Image

Lol. Fair enough Jax but a brand new battery for the Ford Ka is widely available for less than 30 quid from a number of sources, including the likes of KwikFit. I drive an all singing, all dancing 2.4 Volvo which has just about every gadget you can imagine , and a brand new battery for that only set me back £65.

With all due respect do you not think you might be going for a false economy,  by draining every last drop out of your knackered old battery ?

I hope you don't take my post the wrong way, it is well intentioned.

Back to the weather, and it's now a grey old day here.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

Afternoon each. Bright and breezy here....(that's the weather, not me) :) We did have a frost overnight I think because when I went out for my last ciggie, the roofs were white.

I got up and immediately started on the painting....just two walls but I'm k#$€+!?d. And cheap B&Q paint doesn't help. Aaaaaagh! Never again.

Sooo, just catching up on posts folks. Hope you all have a good day. Enjoy. :)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Cloudy and quite windy here in the SW burbs this morning, some threatening dark grey skies so far have not delivered rainfall, but I think we might make our walk along the river to Kingston a bit earlier to avoid the likelihood of the heavy wet stuff. Will be interesting to see the water levels after a few weeks' break. Last night it felt like a cold November evening out walking the dog, all frosty and clear with our breath visible; my son was wishing we could fast-forward to Halloween and Christmas, and I was wishing for a cold, snowy winter if we do so!

Yesterday we were at the Mountbatten Centre in Portsmouth for my son's first Special Olympics athletics event of the year. The tiny Kingston team put in a good performance; my son won his running heat and did well against some incredibly fast runners in the relay. The breeze outside was distinctly cool with some impressive cloudscapes. Here's a pic of the view north towards the A3M (I think!).

Posted Image2014-03-01 15.24.32.jpg

Great view of Portsdown hill, to note, a great vantage point to look for incoming imports Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards,Hot Thundery nights.

I am saving up for a new one, honest guv, just the car (or KA) has so many electrics it needs to be a posh beefy one it seems with lots of oms or summat, and they are not cheap :(

Bugger, non weather related post, OK OK, errrm, it is getting a tad brighter here now (I know, I am amazed too), but not expecting it to last looking at the radar.

Hiding more stuff in the *white space* to see iff it passes the mod radar....hummmmm

Ask local scrap yard for a battery.

Have had three over the years and all have lasted long enough till I changed cars.

£15 compared to £75 from Halfrauds.

Nice to see some dry weather forecast for the weekend, should feel warm in the sun.

Edited by 80sWeather
  • Like 1

Posted

'noon all. well vacuuming done, laundry done, shopping done, dusting done, dog walked done.... im done!

:lol:

getting greyer and greyer here. rain not far off i suppose. chilly wind and 9C here.

least got clothes on line earlier and they just need a short tumble to dry off :)

curry for dinner. she who must be disobeyed was convinced into cooking for a change. (although it was made last night)

hope all are well :)