Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Flowers through the year

4wd

Posted

The first ones here are always snowdrops which are ridiculously abundant.
They've been helped to spread in the past as the local 'Big House' were keen on gardening and the grounds are awash with them in the grass - but very little else in the grounds there now.
They do spread happily from seed on their own if they like the situation.
A well drained hedge bottom suits them very well.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I find a fairly basic compact digital does a surprisingly good job set on auto for these sort of close-ups.
The compactness of the camera is an advantage in itself if you want to be in awkward spot like on the ground for these.

Posted

Crocus don't thrive here, they can't cope with the wind and the flowers are invariably destroyed.
Daffodils are well ahead but still need at least two weeks even for the earliest type to open.
So the other obvious plant is Bergenia.
This looks so tough - and the plant is - but the flowers are quit tender, and often damaged by frost since they are usually opening in March.

Posted Image

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snow and a good Thunder & Lightening

?

Hello knocker. I'm not sure what you are questioning, it looks like a Dahlia :-). Anyways, not sure I am in the right forum..I considered the gardening thread also, so forgive if not, and mods feel free to move if so. My photography is generally more abstract macro in nature, but thought I'd share some of my flower photography with you all. Best Alix.post-18906-0-15714300-1396046268_thumb.jpost-18906-0-82890800-1396046308_thumb.j[post-18906-0-42538900-1396046469_thumb.jpost-18906-0-00750800-1396046558_thumb.jpost-18906-0-15451100-1396046637_thumb.j

post-18906-0-50439900-1396046686_thumb.j

• Like 2

Posted

Hey Alix. Would you be able to name the flowers in the pictures you have taken? I only recognize one or two and curious to know what they are.

Nice pic btw :-)

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Things are progressing rapidly now, but the most striking flowers are still the daffodils here.
The dales of the North York Moors almost all have significant numbers of wild daffodils - most famously in Farndale where they have taken over large areas by the River Dove - and are a major attraction from late March until late April.
They have crept from a nearby stream out into the Graveyard at Church Houses for example.
These are all wild ones - a quite distinct rather pettite form compared to the showy varieties that are planted.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted
  • Location: inter drumlin South Tyrone Blackwater river valley surrounded by the last last ice age...
  • Weather Preferences: jack frost
  • Location: inter drumlin South Tyrone Blackwater river valley surrounded by the last last ice age...

?

Annual Rudbeckia ?

Edited by be cause

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Posted

Coming up to peak flowery meadow season here.
These are fairly common but I do have one field with a few special ones.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image