Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West/Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 27/2/14 18z----->

A.J

Posted
  • Location: Taunton Somerset(term time ) Sudbury, Suffolk weekends and holidays hoping to make Suffolk permanent soon ) . .
  • Weather Preferences: thunder/lightning ,gales and warm sunny weather
  • Location: Taunton Somerset(term time ) Sudbury, Suffolk weekends and holidays hoping to make Suffolk permanent soon ) . .

The rain came down and didn't want to stop ! Our tv arieal decided to fall down over night too .

All good fun :unknw:  well sort of .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Really does feel like November out there, in fact rather like the majority of the October-March period with a wind blowing and heavy rain at present. At least the rain here has come at either end of the day with a largely bright and dry day. Really hoping for thunder tomorrow as it's my last day in N. Somerset before returning to Egham where no doubt the weather will go into sleep mode.

Posted

Woke up to pretty torrential rain and just looking at the radar it seems only the lucky ones will see sustained sunny spells today. Some places might end up with impressive daily rainfall totals due to large and slow moving showers.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Woke up to pretty torrential rain and just looking at the radar it seems only the lucky ones will see sustained sunny spells today. Some places might end up with impressive daily rainfall totals due to large and slow moving showers.

There was a few crackers overnight. There was one around midnight, then again around 3am.

10.8mm yesterday, 5.8mm of that fell from the initial front yesterday morning, the other 5mm was from 9pm until midnight last night. I have had another 8.4mm since then, probably more through today. It's saved me watering the garden, as it was getting a bit dry, the pond has topped right up too, almost flooded again.

Currently 11.2℃ with some sunshine, cloud bubbling up though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Several rumbles of thunder from a passing cell to the north of here, probably in the direction of Bristol. Skies looking very menacing that way.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

I suppose its unlikely but could we be facing another rainfall total of triple digits this month. I have received 74.2mm thus far in April, almost over half of which has fallen during the preceding 48 hours. Only March, excessively dry compared to usual has bucked the trend. I said the following in my status updates and it sums up how I feel about things right now, anybody feel the same or am I just being a miserable so and so, probably. :rofl:

DiagonalRedLine said.

The weather's being a bit of a grumpy ol' thing at the moment.

I replied in kind.

yes, A Max of 9.8c two days ago and much rain ever since. Gloomy skies, a lack of sunshine and some 35mm leaves me weary. Looking forward to a cold clean Northerly at the end of the week, not exactly. That would simply be another cruel twist in the latest UK climate saga. Mind you, it is what it is and Thankfully I'm able to shelter from the nuisance rainfall. Poor ole farmers and wildlife I say, unless things improve into May it could be another nasty Spring despite being pleasant to begin.

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Another deluge just now but alas no Thunder, at least for now. The sun did show its face briefly and perhaps aided some convection. 14.8mm today thus far and counting. Still raining as I type this.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together

Just driven back from Dartmoor where the weather was pretty miserable. But the worst was on the m4 near home... Rain of biblical proportions from Bristol onwards.. We all slowed to less than 40 at one point and I thought the wipers would fly off they were on full speed.

Posted

Just driven back from Dartmoor where the weather was pretty miserable. But the worst was on the m4 near home... Rain of biblical proportions from Bristol onwards.. We all slowed to less than 40 at one point and I thought the wipers would fly off they were on full speed.

Yep PB, at least us Newburians decided to share the 3/4 of an inch around we received today. A wet ole end to the month for sure.

Posted

Rather a dreadful day so far! I was expecting a grey/misty start but to have it still dull and grim nearing 13.00 is very unexpected! Added to which there have been sharp showers/drizzle on and off all morning as well as an Easterly breeze which is keeping the temperature at just 11.7c currently.

I do notice thundery activity has sparked off near the South Coast so maybe it will brighten up soon. The showers this morning were certainly convective in nature so I assume above the murk the cloudscape is interesting!! One thing I haven't fully grasped weather knowledge wise is how convection can occur/survive above low cloud and murkiness when the ground conditions are cool.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

Still misty on the hills across the valley ..Cloudy but bright at times. Fine. Settled. 11.5c.

Posted

Reading all your reports and watching the radar carefully. My parents from Radstock (hello Gibby and Artdemole) are staying in our holiday flat in Sandbanks (hello Mapantz as the nearest current poster (and Karlos also)). Can't work out if they are better off weatherwise at home or in Sandbanks (if worse off in Sandbanks it will inevitably be my fault....).  Keeping fingers crossed for some sunshine amongst the showers so they can get out and about; watching BBC weather this morning, it looked as if they entire south coast would be growing its own rain today, let alone Mapantz's garden and pond.

Uxbridge is cloudy and humid with the odd bit of blue poking through; perhaps we can grow you chaps some convection to send in the right direction if the sun can stay out:)

EDIT: Just checked the radar, looks like you're growing it all by yourselves; I'm not jealous...

Edited by Reefseeker
  • Like 1

Posted

Reading all your reports and watching the radar carefully. My parents from Radstock (hello Gibby and Artdemole) are staying in our holiday flat in Sandbanks (hello Mapantz as the nearest current poster (and Karlos also)). Can't work out if they are better off weatherwise at home or in Sandbanks (if worse off in Sandbanks it will inevitably be my fault....).  Keeping fingers crossed for some sunshine amongst the showers so they can get out and about; watching BBC weather this morning, it looked as if they entire south coast would be growing its own rain today, let alone Mapantz's garden and pond. Uxbridge is cloudy and humid with the odd bit of blue poking through; perhaps we can grow you chaps some convection to send in the right direction if the sun can stay out:) EDIT: Just checked the radar, looks like you're growing it all by yourselves; I'm not jealous...

Hi Reefseeker! I'm right on the edge of the fun & games at the moment, hopefully over the next few hours, I may get something. :)
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms

Quite a few rumbles of thunder around here at the moment.Looks like it might tip down in a minute.No lightning yet.

• Like 2

Posted

Cloudy here but the sun keeps popping through the clouds. Wonder if it will hold off before I pick princess Tbags up from after school clubs?

Posted

Quite a few rumbles of thunder around here at the moment.Looks like it might tip down in a minute.No lightning yet.

Latest radar grab show that they're steering west now, give it an hour and we maybe in business!post-15177-0-62545100-1398692434_thumb.p
  • Like 2

Posted

Some beefy downpours out there and I think the 100mm monthly total could be breached once again in Newbury. All pushing slowly Westwards from Central Southern England to effect other parts over the coming hours. Three rumbles of Thunder as I type and recent monsoonal rain with a rain rate of 73.8mm per hour being achieved, although it seemed heavier still.

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, tornados

Suns out, quite warm, lots of cloudscape

Sat in garden wondering will it storm, better not as i am housebound, so it will have to be music to my ears, not Oh!! awww! lightning, Booom .. gets a snapshot on camera :) lol

Edited by Cyclonic
  • Like 1

Posted

My Netatmo station just issued a level 2 rains warning, it's all close to me too lol

post-15177-0-13042800-1398696691_thumb.p

Edited by Mapantz

Posted

Bad flooding in Newbury on my estate and I imagine on others in the area too. Keep the reports coming as I'm sure there will be more tales of large rainfall totals and the inevitable flooding of land and property.

Posted

Bad flooding in Newbury on my estate and I imagine on others in the area too. Keep the reports coming as I'm sure there will be more tales of large rainfall totals and the inevitable flooding of land and property.

15.6mm in an hour at Bournemouth airport, 12mm in 20 minutes.
  • Like 1

Posted

15.6mm in an hour at Bournemouth airport, 12mm in 20 minutes.

Thanks for that Mapantz, a memorable day for some parts I reckon with at least some T&L to boot. The problem is that water table levels are still high and drains are easily overwhelmed in the downpours. Nothing too remarkable I guess but there ought to be some impressive footage out there later.

Posted

I would assume it's just surface water flooding, rather than river flooding?!