Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

southern ireland

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snow, hurricanes

just wondered why southern Irelend/Eire weather outputs across tv, radio etc are left alone. i realise that it's a different country but it's a neighbour and a beautiful one at that. the sw tip of norway is fit for coverage on all bbc forecasts but Eire almost ignored. maybe it's a money or political issue. but from where does our weather come? in winter, mostly a more westerly direction. it first lets rip on s ireland ie an almost realtime indicator that  a storm or whatever is about to hit the UK. the internet helps for access to whats going on weatherwise in Eire but I for one would like the bbc to give a nod to our fantastc neighbours. mine's a guiness

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

BBC - British Broadcasting Corporation. The clue is in the name! Why should they give forecasts to a country who don't watch the BBC or pay a licence fee for it?

Edited by Nick L

Posted
  • Location: Mostly Watford but 3 months of the year at Capestang 34310, France
  • Weather Preferences: Continental type climate with lots of sunshine with occasional storm
  • Location: Mostly Watford but 3 months of the year at Capestang 34310, France

BBC - British Broadcasting Corporation. The clue is in the name! Why should they give forecasts to a country who don't watch the BBC or pay a licence fee for it?

No that is nit picking - everybody has access to UK TV programs and I often listen to RTE Lyric - quid quo pro :)

Posted
  • Location: inter drumlin South Tyrone Blackwater river valley surrounded by the last last ice age...
  • Weather Preferences: jack frost
  • Location: inter drumlin South Tyrone Blackwater river valley surrounded by the last last ice age...

Ireland has been united on Netweather until now . Can we  not keep it that way ? 

I live less than a mile from the border and would rather it stayed open  !

Posted

Excuse me I am an Irishman who watches the BBC on a regular basis tut tut. Met Eireann only cover the 32 counties of Ireland as well, Saying that there is alot of co-operation between Met Eireann and British Met Office.

just wondered why southern Irelend/Eire weather outputs across tv, radio etc are left alone. i realise that it's a different country but it's a neighbour and a beautiful one at that. the sw tip of norway is fit for coverage on all bbc forecasts but Eire almost ignored. maybe it's a money or political issue. but from where does our weather come? in winter, mostly a more westerly direction. it first lets rip on s ireland ie an almost realtime indicator that  a storm or whatever is about to hit the UK. the internet helps for access to whats going on weatherwise in Eire but I for one would like the bbc to give a nod to our fantastc neighbours. mine's a guiness

thank you for your complimentary comments about my country.Posted Image

Posted

Not to forget of course Valentia was one of the first British observatories around 1870 and still plays an important role today.

Of the larger first-order observatories, eight were originally proposed but pressure from the Treasury meant that only seven were established, with the promise of some fifteen years' funding to maintain them, by which point, it was believed, sufficient data would have been collected materially to improve knowledge of weather patterns over the British Isles The seven observatories of the reconstituted Meteorological Office were spread across Britain and Ireland: two in Scotland, at the universities of Aberdeen and Glasgow (the proposed eighth would have been in Wick or Thurso in northern Scotland); two in Ireland, at the Armagh  observatory and on Valentia Island; and three in England, at Falmouth, Stonyhurst College in Lancashire, and Kew in London, the hub of the network.

Only the observatory at Valentia was set up, funded and staffed by the Meteorological Office itself; all the other sites were maintained by local scientific bodies. The Meteorological Committee considered the distribution of the sites to be 'as well distributed over the area of the British Isles as was compatible with the existence of an efficient local scientific superintendence'  The seven observatories were to collect a wide range of meteorological data, and with the help of self-recording instruments would provide a wealth of information that would 'exhibit the changes in atmospheric conditions which pass over our islands with absolute fidelity, and will thereby throw a totally new light on the study of the weather', and would be 'of the greatest importance to the advancement of Meteorological Science  and thus also invaluable to the nation.

Edited by knocker