Sign in to follow this  
knocker

Norway had their driest January ever

Norway had their driest January ever, with no precipitation at all at several locations, e.g.: Bodø, Narvik, Harstad, Tysfjord, Fauske. The record dry conditions sparked January wildfires that destroyed over 200 buildings, a highly unusual occurrence for January in Norway.

http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/comment.html?entrynum=2636

Aye, we had all their rain down in England! :lol:But another consequence of the jet stream running Atlantic cyclones across Britain rather than up between Scotland and Iceland as 'normally' happens.

Hi

I've just done some work on what was the wettest place in Europe during winter 2013/14 and I found it to be Eik Hove in southern Norway.

I did notice that it was the wettest place despite a good three weeks of January were it was more or less dry!

The reason it was so dry is that a ridge of high pressure over Finland effectively blocked any lows in the North sea from crossing in to the Baltic as they had done in December (when we were on holiday there).

xmetman

post-16956-0-20856500-1393606905_thumb.p

Edited by xmetman

Interesting that the rare snow comes after their warmest Spring on record, with an anomaly of +2.3C.http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/sotc/global/2014/5

I'm guessing summer must have started pretty hot for them too, as the plume that skirted us went straight through Europe up into Scandinavia.