Sign in to follow this  
cheeky_monkey

Morbid or Fascinating

Now not sure whether this is true or not?..but apparently you maybe able to have a bar code on your gravestone etc and then have app that will tell you all about the person...their lives and what they did etc. Have you ever walked around a grave yard and wondered who these people were what they did and what they liked?

Now not sure whether this is true or not?..but apparently you maybe able to have a bar code on your gravestone etc and then have app that will tell you all about the person...their lives and what they did etc. Have you ever walked around a grave yard and wondered who these people were what they did and what they liked?

When I visit the graves of deceased family members I do often wonder about all the other people buried there -what they were like and what they did.I wouldn't necessarily be against such a system but I would never use it myself; the intrigue for me is actually not knowing, or even wanting too. Sometimes it's best not to know.

My missus can, and does spend hours loitering in graveyards, wondering about their residents. She's well weird like that but it's harmless, I guess. Removing the mystery would kill her fascination stone dead (get it?) tho', I reckon.

Nothing weird about that. Graveyards are fascinating places and if your interested in the subject they can tell you an awful lot about the social history of your area.

You notice around here in the old sections the huge number of young men and children legacy of mining in the 18th and 19th century. Plus typhoid, TB, etc. There is one quite poignant stone. now unreadable, in Camborne churchyard. Three young children blown up at Dolcoath Mine in 1868.

There are also three Celtic Crosses with an interesting history.

post-12275-0-06387000-1393310714_thumb.j

Edited by knocker

I love graveyards and old cemeteries. The one in Norwich near my flat is beautiful and a haven for wildlife. I have spent many a happy hour or two just walking around the many winding paths photographing trees and monuments. I find it relaxing, peaceful and up-lifting. And I've even walked through it at night with a friend when it's been locked and climbed over the gate. That was fun. :)

Thats great but would you like to be able to read a short/long biography about the person's gravestone you are looking at..or urn or even bench you are sitting on? Personally i dont visit graveyards except once a year when i used to take my wife to put flowers on her uncle's grave every Xmas..then i would just read all the head stones around and about and wonder what kind of life these people had..where they came from and what they did etc..the same with old photos or old film footage..i often wonder what ever happened to all these people who are now long gone?

Apart from the fact we are running out ground to plant people who would compile this biography and from what sources?

Apart from the fact we are running out ground to plant people who would compile this biography and from what sources?

you would create your own biography for all to read.

you would create your own biography for all to read.

Ah,an autobiography. Sanitized version.

Sounds novel but weird - who would have the time or inclination to roam a cemetery with an app to check up on the lives of unknown dead people. If I had a deceased relative and spotted a stranger standing there apping the details of the life of a lost relative I'd be thinking "what the hell are you doing.."

Sounds novel but weird - who would have the time or inclination to roam a cemetery with an app to check up on the lives of unknown dead people. If I had a deceased relative and spotted a stranger standing there apping the details of the life of a lost relative I'd be thinking "what the hell are you doing.."

I think the term "gone but not forgotten" comes to mind here... maybe some people would want future generations to know who they were and what they did etc the whole thing would be voluntary if you wanted people to know who you were thats up to you..if you dont then you dont have to..its not mandatory. Say for example you found a long lost relative from 150 years ago you would know their name etc..but would you actually know anything about them?