Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales, The Midlands and Southwest England - Regional Weather Chat

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms
Smartie, on 18 Jul 2014 - 09:30, said:

Yep, non event in these parts last night but it's tonight I'm interested in.

Yeah, fingers crossed. If you believe the BBC we have an 18hr widow from mid-night tonight for storms.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Although there wasn't anything overly amazing about the storm we had last night and it went through fairly quick, it was nice to have a night storm again as its been so long since the last night one I saw! I just hope that tonight is like last night, where the intense storms cover a much wider area than anticipated and us in the west still have a chance to see them :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Speaking to a supplier down on the south coast they had some epic storms last night, however we saw nothing except for a couple of distant flashes, which could have just been the local speed camera  :rofl:

Lets hope we see a real storm Saturday!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, snow and more snow

the BBC forecast is utter tripe.  they forecast it to be sunny today in Northampton and it is currently tipping it down.  had i known i would have covered my tender pepper plants.  so much for the multi million pound super computers.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms

Speaking to a supplier down on the south coast they had some epic storms last night, however we saw nothing except for a couple of distant flashes, which could have just been the local speed camera :rofl:Lets hope we see a real storm Saturday!

I can't be believe you didn't get anything, up here it was constant lighting deep rumbles for about an hourFromey Edited by fromey

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.

the BBC forecast is utter tripe.  they forecast it to be sunny today in Northampton and it is currently tipping it down.  had i known i would have covered my tender pepper plants.  so much for the multi million pound super computers.

Give the bbc a break, as they've already mentioned the atmosphere is so volatile right now the it's hard to pin down exactly where showers/storms will break out, it's a little fool hardy to take exactly what they say and show as gospel at times like this.
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

The storm last night was the best I have seen in years. It was made even more dramatic by the fact the streetlights were off so we could see everything so spectacularly. We had constant thunder and lightning for about 90 minutes, which woke myself and my husband and two boys although somehow the girls slept through it all! Totally awesome.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, snow and more snow

Give the bbc a break, as they've already mentioned the atmosphere is so volatile right now the it's hard to pin down exactly where showers/storms will break out, it's a little fool hardy to take exactly what they say and show as gospel at times like this.

Yes i understand that, but looking at their forecast today there was not even the slightest mention of rain, thunderstorms or anything apart from sunshine until later on tonight.  If they are so unsure because of the unstability of the atmosphere then err on the side of caution and don't put 'sun' symbols as the forecast for the entire day thats all i am saying.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

I can't be believe you didn't get anything, up here it was constant lighting deep rumbles for about an hourFromey

Yes I looked at the radar playback and seems that most went Frome way before storms re-intensified a little towards south wales.

I just hope we are not too far west for the action Saturday I am working but it would make for an interesting day if some real storms move through here.

Posted

Even my wife got excited at losing a few hours of sleep due to the storm lol ! I have been telling her in the 5+ years that we have been together that what I want is a STORM, that distant lightning or nearby odd flashes and rumbles are ok, even good at times, but not great. Midnight until 2am last night was GREAT! Watchig lightning from 4 separate cells to the W/SW/S merge into frequent and at times almost constant lightning, including some crackling CGs with shotgun thunder and anvil crawlers that take your breath away!

5mm of rain which was good for the flowers, but the weirdest aspect was a near on gale force wind for over an hour after the storm while the temperature was still above 20c at gone 2am!

epic fail number 2.......Wifey and kids have just told me that we had a cracker of a storm here.........and I, the local storm nut,  slept through it!.....  :cray:  :cray:  :cray:

You mean they didn't wake you so you could watch?

• Like 2

There was frequent lightning last night with only a few lulls from about midnight to 4am. Most was distant though, mainly to the E and later to the W with us in the middle with pretty much nowt but the odd closer flash and rumble. Even though it was mostly distant probably the most lightning I've seen in about 15 years, the flash count must have been in the hundreds. Shame we didn't get anything overhead but a pretty light show anyway.

Edited by Bobby

Posted

22c here in Nottingham. Anyone else wondering how we will make up 8c in just 4-5 hours?

Posted

22c here in Nottingham. Anyone else wondering how we will make up 8c in just 4-5 hours?

Easy once the sun burns through, has gone from 20.8c to 23.9c here in less than half an hour of sunny spells as the cloud has begun to burn off.

Posted

Easy once the sun burns through, has gone from 20.8c to 23.9c here in less than half an hour of sunny spells as the cloud has begun to burn off.

Hope so, because at the moment it's just an average summer day, feels cooler in fact with the strong breeze.

Didn't bother with the camera until later on when the storms were flizzing away, kinda regret it now as I could have had some nice shots if I tried. Will have a proper go tonight if we get anything. One photo at least:

Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted

I woke up at 3.30am but not thunder but wind,thought it was raining.Then around 4am a thundery mid layer shower west sheet lightning.Then another one to the south verging to a thunderstorm,long deep rumbles lasting upto 1 to 2 mins,CC.And finally after looking out of the window for an hour,I got up see the final thunderstorm which came from south it came overhead,rain on the radar was very heavy,but got 4mm it was pretty light, best storms so far this year and saw CG going into blue sky :clap: more to come tonight. :D

Been mostly cloudy all morning low cloud.

20c and humid.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted

Nottingham - still 22c

Valley (Northwest coast of Wales) - 23

Liverpool - 25

What is going on in the east midlands...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

Disappointed in amount of rain fall.. 1.5mm.. Will change  soon... 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

Disappointing storm last  night.  Only distant flashes and rumbles.  Worked out the closest it got was about 4 miles away.  Yet my friends in Abergavenny reported a big storm there overnight.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Cloudy and windy day here, the sun keeps trying to break through the cloud though. Warm and humid, 21.6C with 65% humidity. Im surprised the meto have their amber warning as far west as they do, trying not to get my hopes up for seeing something tonight in case it does all stay east lol

Posted

The sun is starting to burn through now, and the heat is building accordingly.

Current temp is 25.6°C with a (very juicy) DP of 18.5°C

Humidity is 65%

Bish

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Notably warm across Wales last night. Here the minimum of 17.8c was the highest I have recorded (previous record 17.2c) , and at times after midnight it was above 19c. Even higher minima at other places such as:

Pembrey Sands 19.5c

Trawscoed 19.1c

These the highest in the UK last night.

http://www.ogimet.com/cgi-bin/gsynext?lang=en&state=United+K&rank=150&ano=2014&mes=07&day=18&hora=12&Send=send

Edited by TonyH

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: High pressure and NO WIND! - Rain over snow any day.

Pretty cool here.

Cloudy and 21 degrees, 1012.0 pressure which has risen slightly from last night but nothing major. 19mph wind apparently.. Feels like a slight breeze.

I don't think last nights storm was anything special.

For me it was more of a windstorm with distant lightening.

The best one was last month I think when it came over from France and stayed strong as it moved across the uk.

It was right above me and so loud vibrating the floor!

I don't want anything tonight as I probably won't sleep again :( does anyone know if something is planning to pop up over Brean/Weston?