Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East England & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 15/02/14

Snowangel-MK

Posted

'ning all Posted Image

i was going to suggest a new game last night, but thought it might be in bad taste. was going to call it "pick a tree" simple rules. just pick a tree near you that you would bet on been blown down in the wind... i managed one of the few i picked

been a lovely day today, weather wise, got dog out a few time in the sun and dry. wind not so bad this afternoon and last walk a little while ago was dry and chilly. he loved the sun today

What a lovely looking dog #sends pats#. Ours was sunbathing in the car as the sun shone through the window on the way to Sandbanks this afternoon, we sometimes wonder if he suffers from Seasonal Affective Disorder in the winter, such is his desperate hunt for any tiny patch of sunlight.

Drove in and out of rain, sunshine and some powerful gusts on the way down. Amazing scenes of flooded fields far into the distance the further south we got, but no weather-related road closures. The beach at Branksome Chine looked stunning with huge waves driving in off the sea, will post some pics tomorrow. When we arrived at our flat, a huge tree at the back had been uprooted and crashed right across the garages smashing one of them to pieces leaving bricks spread throughout the tree and all over the ground, and the door crushed to half its size. Quite amazing the power of it.

• Like 5

Posted

Posted Image

96 chart

shows dry at that time

weak north west flow

we look to get some rain in the afternoon

but too early for specifics

120 when here

Posted

Posted Image

that front is slow moving

so the previous chart for wednesday would probably end up dry

if the high pressure to our north loses it strength

the low might head further north

however that chart is full of heavy rain again

going to wait until at 84 to comment

• Like 2

Posted

heres 120 on ukmo

Posted Image

different to the fax chart

ecm at 120

Posted Image

similar to the fax but missing second low

gfs

Posted Image

again low in different place

i am going to see where the fax chart goes on monday with this

not convinced on anything showing at present

anyway gotta go now work again tomorrow

goodnight allPosted ImagePosted Image

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

What a crazy night last night was, probably the strongest winds of winter 13/14! Also that sink hole in Hemel is about 5 minutes walk away from where I work on the industrial estate!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Hi K,

It was an afternoon thing here. We had an initial burst of squally rain in the late morning, which cleared by lunchtime(ish) to sunshine and much lighter winds for a very short while - something of a false dawn... Then, as the centre of the depression (which travelled in an easterly direction) passed to our north (the centre went through the North of England or South Scotland) we went under the isobar squeeze to its south, leading to two or three hours of very, very strong winds - way worse than yesterday, in the mid to late afternoon.

By six o'clock that evening, the worst of the winds had moved on, but left travel chaos. They definitely weren't an issue the next day.

Many people have forgotten the Burns Storm, probably because it was only just over two years after the '87 Great Storm. A way to remind some of it, was that a famous casualty was Gordon Kaye, from 'Allo 'Allo, who was severely injured by some advertising hoarding, which crashed through his car windscreen.

I have a photo somewhere, of my garden shed being destroyed by it, taken by my late mother. A pretty good photo, considering it was shot on a crappy old instamatic camera. I'll try and locate it and upload in the next couple of weeks. Posted Image

Yes I was working just up the road from where the hoarding hit him. There were no trains home when I got this phone call from a friend to say she'd brought her car in that day did I want a lift home.

so we set off out of London down the A3. The winds were so powerful that they'd warped, battered or even blown off the massive metal exit signs Thankfully the A3 was almost deserted but we his some minor flooding just by the lake beside the road near Cobham.

• Like 1

Posted

Morning all, hope everyone's well. Bright sunny morning, no wind, might have been a slight frost, haven't written those words to often, this dreadful winter. 'Ole still there, nothing in it today, apart from a shiny new valve, very impressive and looks expensive, on Friday I saw snow outside my house and it laid, therefore I think I could claim the lead in the snow depth competition, assuming that when they froze the water pipe the exhaust from the excess liquid nitrogen counts? Hope that's not overtime for the legal begal?

Off to see the grand kids down in sittingbourne today, so will have to find the earplugs :-) hope the M2 has recovered from its sink hole otherwise might take a lot longer than normal.

Have a good stress free day, enjoy the nice weather, and I hope the damage if suffered recently ain't to bad, and those who are feeling or have loved ones feeling unwell, they make a recovery when they feel the sun on their faces. Have a great day.

Don't believe some companies just had an email in from a very nice range of of hotels advertising their latest special offer, waterside experience, I think I seen enough water.

Edited by Charltonkerry
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Morning all

A bright a sunny one here, blue skies and no rain, the wind has gone, we even have a light frost, so plan for today is to give the car a top up charge, maybe I will nip out for some milk for the week ahead (must have my tea in the morning) and take a wander to the next village to assess the damage at my family home and the paddock ( the roof where the geese live has been taken off by the wind I am told, no sure on the stables though).

Whatever you do today, I hope it is an enjoyable and safe one.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Storms and epic cold snowy winters

Morning all. Nice sunny day for a BIG change, Slight frost this morning that makes a whopping "4" frost's this winter. Anyway enjoy this very brief calmer snap...Looking at output towards the end of the month there is not really any sign of a change im afraid it's very much looking like back to the norm by the end of the week...Relentless.Posted Image

Posted

morning  all  nice quiet day!!! the wind might have gone for  the  moment but i see on the met weather app rain for most days this week  so not much  change for the poor people who got floods and storm damage

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny; chilly and sunny; thunderstorms; extreme

Not much news from the south coast on here today but I would imagine going by the Bognor cam last night they took a bit of a battering - this is Brighton seafront where the shingle beach is now on the prom !

Posted Imageimage.jpg

Superb photo :)

Posted

Did someone say it is school holidays again?

How long for? and w00t! as it means I can drive through town in ten minutes not forty again for a while.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Morning all - lovely bright and sunny start here, managed to catch up on lost sleep too so that's a result :-)

Happy Sunday - it's going to be a very relaxed one here !

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Wind, Rain, Sun.....but mainly cooler weather!

Similar scenario here. Blue sky and sun.

Marvellous :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy, windy, cold.

What a stunning day!! Everything looks decent with a ray of sunshine on it, apart from rain stained patio doors !!

Have a fantastic day, truly wish we could get weeks like this and dry out flooded regions.

The birds are very active today and have already scoffed all of the seed I put out, with help from squirrel...

• Like 6

Posted

Have been out clearing the garden of the storm re-arranging that took place, car is charging, pruned the buddliea back and enjoying the chance to be outside without a wetsuit on for a change, more still to do but thought I would take a break before the next stint outside.

• Like 3

Posted

What a glorious day! it makes you feel good, and I can't wait to get outside either. Posted Image

Temp currently 7.3c but feels warmer in the sunshine.

Happy birthday today to Suburban Streamer, you have lovely weather for it. Posted Image

I have relatives over today and am cooking a roast beef dinner.  Scrummy.  Have a good day all, whatever you are doing!

Oh and Jax, you only have one week to enjoy the easy journey before the school runs start up again. :p

Edited by chilly milly
  • Like 4

Posted

Oh and Jax, you only have one week to enjoy the easy journey before the school runs start up again. Posted Image

I will take it and hope it gets the blood pressure down before it all starts again :lol:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados

beautiful day here today,going to take advantage and have a stroll through alexandra park with the missus and kids,might even venture to the hungry horse for some mid-afternoon lunch,have a great day guys,looks like the onslaught starts again soon

• Like 1

Posted

Morning all,

beautiful sunny start, the garden is beginning to show the signs of spring despite having to put up with two naughty puppies who have taken a liking to to eating daffodils and primroses (should have been their names) and digging holes in the very wet grass.

Posted Imagedgs 003.JPG Posted Imagedgs 005.JPG

very bad girls who are now banished indoors where they are enjoying the warm spring sunshine.

Posted Imagedgs 001.JPG

It's been a long week but have managed to sleep past 8am on both Saturday and Sunday mornings (unusual for me) which has recharged my batteries somewhat.

Enjoy this lovely weather while it lastsPosted Image

Nice pics and bet you still love them all the same :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

Mornin each. It's a beautiful day here with the clearest, blue sky and lovely sunshine. Seems wierd being so quiet and still out there after all the noise and chaos of the last couple of days.

We need more days like this for the poor flood victims so it can dry out now.

Hope you all have a good,and relaxing day. Enjoy. :)

Edited by Keraunophile
  • Like 4