Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East England & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 15/02/14

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Cold.

Evening all. Fab day here today. Lovely sunshine from the word go here today. Light winds and a gentle warmth in the air. Oh how I hope we have an early and warm start to spring this year.

Just completed my first 15k run of the year, now for a cool down and maybe a cheeky beer. Have a great weekend guys

• Like 2

Posted

I wonder how many tonnes of rock salt are sitting around council depots at the moment, funny how one year we nearly run out and then this year it was sand bags in short supply.

Indeed, it was a bit of a scandal at the time as due to there being "no more snow forever", councils were not encouraged to have stocks of salt, leading to a bizarre situation in our area where all the deliveries to B&Q etc depots were suddenly cancelled and the salt commissioned by the government. My opinion is that somebody got climate change (another subject entirely, and with some huge uncertainties) mixed up with weather. Not for the first time, if we remember spring 2012's drought (" we can expect this to be a frequent occurence") followed a week later by the summer that never was. Bad advice or poor judgement?

OK, I'm done now. Sorry

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Indeed, it was a bit of a scandal at the time as due to there being "no more snow forever", councils were not encouraged to have stocks of salt, leading to a bizarre situation in our area where all the deliveries to B&Q etc depots were suddenly cancelled and the salt commissioned by the government. My opinion is that somebody got climate change (another subject entirely, and with some huge uncertainties) mixed up with weather. Not for the first time, if we remember spring 2012's drought (" we can expect this to be a frequent occurence") followed a week later by the summer that never was. Bad advice or poor judgement?

OK, I'm done now. Sorry

It's simple. The MetO is a quango and it tells its paymasters (the government) what the government wants to hear... if they can't in all honesty do that and still be taken seriously by the public, they shave bits and pieces off and spin it. We are paying a LOT of money in green taxes and any way the Govt can justify this daylight robbery and continue to collect it and can be justified is very good news (for them).

Every heard of that saying "Whoever pays the Piper, calls the Tune"?

Edited by Iceni

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy or sunny but not too hot!

Hello Charltonkerry,

Thanks for your reply. You are perfectly safe as her indoors is totally computer illiterate. she can just about turn it on, but that is as far as it goes! she has no desire to use the PC. She even gets annoyed when I start to read out posts from this site as she thinks I spend too much time reading about the weather especially when I start to read postings out aloud to her!

She once went into the Halifax to set up a new account and decided on an internet one- God knows why. The assistant there got her to log in- an ordeal in itself and she then had to go through various security passwords, but forgot to write them down. The lady then asked to log in again to show her how to interrogate her account, but of course she could not. They had to start the whole process over again and that did not go without mishap. By this time the queue was almost out into the precinct. In the end the lady tactfully suggested that perhaps an internet account was not for her.

Weather related- light shower on the way back home this evening, but a bit on the chilly side.

Kind Regards

Dave 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Hello Charltonkerry,

Thanks for your reply. You are perfectly safe as her indoors is totally computer illiterate. she can just about turn it on, but that is as far as it goes! she has no desire to use the PC. She even gets annoyed when I start to read out posts from this site as she thinks I spend too much time reading about the weather especially when I start to read postings out aloud to her!

She once went into the Halifax to set up a new account and decided on an internet one- God knows why. The assistant there got her to log in- an ordeal in itself and she then had to go through various security passwords, but forgot to write them down. The lady then asked to log in again to show her how to interrogate her account, but of course she could not. They had to start the whole process over again and that did not go without mishap. By this time the queue was almost out into the precinct. In the end the lady tactfully suggested that perhaps an internet account was not for her.

Weather related- light shower on the way back home this evening, but a bit on the chilly side.

Kind Regards

Dave 

I reckon learning to use a computer is just like learning to drive a car. You either can do it or you fail every driving test into your 40s - it's nature's way of saying, this technology is not for you.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

I would prefer it if the met office kept it zipped and just stuck to 7 day forecasts, they have proved that they haven't got a scooby about long range forecasting. The difference between them and the james maddens is millions of pounds from the government. Extract from daily mail

Weathermen are worthless (so give them £10m more)

By David DerbyshireUPDATED: 08:28, 12 May 2011

The Met Office’s seasonal forecasts are worthless and failed to help Britain prepare for the coldest start to winter in 100 years, MPs said yesterday.

Its long-range predictions ‘do not provide a firm basis on which decision makers can act with confidence’, the report into December’s snow chaos found.

But despite giving a damning verdict on its forecasting, the Commons transport committee urged the Government to give the Met Office an extra £10million in funding.

• Like 1

Posted

It's simple. The MetO is a quango and it tells its paymasters (the government) what the government wants to hear... if they can't in all honesty do that and still be taken seriously by the public, they shave bits and pieces off and spin it. We are paying a LOT of money in green taxes and any way the Govt can justify this daylight robbery and continue to collect it and can be justified is very good news (for them).

Every heard of that saying "Whoever pays the Piper, calls the Tune"?

It was certainly a concern that Slingo could come out and blame climate change for a jet stream phenomenon that a Met Office scientist said could not be attributed to AGW at all. As you say, this government and the previous one do well out of this for the moment in taxes, despite hurting the poorest most with energy bills. If, as some seem to believe, we are heading into a cooler period - the unusual regional weather, hot or cold, wet or drought - supposedly a symptom of this, you can bet that they won't bother reducing the taxes, having already found something else to waste our money on.

OK, so maybe my rant hadn't quite finished. Oops. Rained a bit, Wasn't expecting that, to be fair. Just a small blob on the radar.

Posted

BlimeyClaret, is my wife a bigamist, yours sounds identical to mine. Similar circumstances to you, she decided she wanted her own bank account, goodness know why, she's got full access to all our joint accounts and knows all my private account access details, so I pointed out there was no need, even the woman down the bank agreed she had access to every penny off mine, but no, her sisters got their own account and she wanted one.

Eventually, the time arrived and we went down to open an account, and being very important people :-) we got shown to a private room, (they assured me it wasn't to prevent her indoors from scaring the kids, when she looked at them), ain't I'm pleased she don't read this, I be brown bread (think that what they say in Essex, well they do in eastenders. Anyway back on subject to my off subject post, we signed up for like you an Internet account, so we go through all the pass words, but obviously coming from Kent, we remembered them, we got home and I showed her, how to turn the computer on, how to log in etc., she looked at me in total bemusement and asked me in her silly I don't what your talking about you total thicko voice, where's my passbook, so I can pay my money in and take it out. I tried to explain she asked for an Internet account and it could only be accessed via the Internet, and the admitted that I was a total idiot and was all my fault.

I now have to do all her on long banking for her, which basically means transferring money from our joint account into her account, and if we get short transferring it back, god knows what this has achieved but she happy, and I'm still a thicko, but in already knew that. I really thought she was a one off, but she obviously isn't, and to be fair that has slightly disappointed me.

Iceni, re learning the computer and driving, with her indoors I totally agree, she can do neither, she was in her 30's with 3 young kids and we had no money, she decided to learn to drive (30 years ago now) and it costs us a lot of money to try to get her to pass her test, to be fair she was a good driver, one day she announces to everyone, she will never be able to drive, and promptly gave up, leaving me to chauffeur her around for the rest of her life, and her to lug pushchairs, kids etc around on the bus. If she had set her mind to it she would have passed her test, same with the computer.

Edited by Charltonkerry
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Storms and epic cold snowy winters

Well that's what my house looks like after the sink hole appeared, Water draining well though.

Posted Image

Not really..Its Collège de Valleyfield, Quebec, Canada.

Look at the bridge to the right..Bugger that.

• Like 5

Posted

Daily express saying they predicted the winter correctly, thanks to their 'expert forecasters' what bull****Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image   Winter will be 'drier than normal', Met Office claimed...but the Express knew truth DAILY Express long-range weather forecasters warned a severe winter was on the way months before it turned out to be the wettest on record.

Long range forecasters used by the Daily Express including Vantage Weather Services and Exacta Weather had seen signals that, to the contrary, above average precipitation would fall.

In line with usual winter blocking patterns, which allow cold air to flow in from the east, they said we could be in for record amounts of snowfall..

The Daily Express did not rule out the possibility that should the weather be milder than average, we would indeed see this fall as rain - which ultimately it did.

Jonathan Powell, forecaster for Vantage Weather Services, said: “We always maintained it was going to be a wild winter with very high precipitation.

“We said at the beginning we would either be knee-deep in snow or knee-deep in rain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

Well that's what my house looks like after the sink hole appeared, Water draining well though.

Posted Image

Not really..Its Collège de Valleyfield, Quebec, Canada.

Look at the bridge to the right..Bugger that.

Seen this picture before, the university exists but the waterfall and bridge are not real, nice painting though!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Storms and epic cold snowy winters

Daily express saying they predicted the winter correctly, thanks to their 'expert forecasters' what bull****Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image   Winter will be 'drier than normal', Met Office claimed...but the Express knew truth DAILY Express long-range weather forecasters warned a severe winter was on the way months before it turned out to be the wettest on record.

Long range forecasters used by the Daily Express including Vantage Weather Services and Exacta Weather had seen signals that, to the contrary, above average precipitation would fall.

In line with usual winter blocking patterns, which allow cold air to flow in from the east, they said we could be in for record amounts of snowfall..

The Daily Express did not rule out the possibility that should the weather be milder than average, we would indeed see this fall as rain - which ultimately it did.

Jonathan Powell, forecaster for Vantage Weather Services, said: “We always maintained it was going to be a wild winter with very high precipitation.

“We said at the beginning we would either be knee-deep in snow or knee-deep in rain.

lassie, No one could of pre forecast the true outcome of this Winter so far. The weather will do what it will do,Its just sadly unfortunate there has been a very high price to pay for many from this pretty extreme event. We really need a decent summer now and hopefully a longish one,Which will help a lot above and below ground.

• Like 1

Posted

I'd like to see where in any of that hyperbole there was any mention of anything in the Express before late December apart from "100 days of snow". If they "didn't rule out" that it would be milder, it was only because they didn't mention the possibility at all. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

They said a severe winter re snow, I still ain't seen none. Don't remember reading anything about wind storms and flooding, at the beginning of winter.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

What the heck is this ? .....keep watching the cloud !!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtube_gdata_player&v=i1BU9jwgbtY

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

What the heck is this ? .....keep watching the cloud !!http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtube_gdata_player&v=i1BU9jwgbtY

Wondered why my home delivery was late.

dry here, bit windy and feeling cooler again.

Just finished watching skyfall, gutted at who they killed off.

• Like 1

Posted

fax updates are coming out earlier

monday night

Posted Image

Posted Image

could get windy for a time

some heavy thundery showers overnight into morning

these will move quite quickly due to the wind

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

tuesday

Posted Image

winds strong to gale force

south west maybe veering west later

rainfall

Posted Image

Posted Image

looks like a day of blustery fast moving showers

temps

Posted Image

Posted Image

around 8 degrees but feeling a lot colder when in any showers

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

tuesday night

Posted Image

Posted Image

winds westerly but slowly easing down

expect some showers which may be heavy but fast moving

there will also be local areas which miss the showers altogether which would more likely be the far north of the region

temps

Posted Image

5-6 degrees

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

wednesday

Posted Image

a cold westerly wind and under much colder 528 dam air

rainfall

Posted Image

Posted Image

showers from the west look like dying as they move towards us

temps

Posted Image

Posted Image

reckon a cold one here

around 5-7 degrees and will feel a lot colder in the wind

thats it for now

will post up the ensembles later

• Like 6

Posted

Another fantastic post JP Posted ImagePosted Image

• Like 3

Posted

They said a severe winter re snow, I still ain't seen none. Don't remember reading anything about wind storms and flooding, at the beginning of winter.

Exactly alexisj9, i hate the way this paper twists things round to always sound like they are right. It was snow all the way for them, no mention of mild and record rain, they take the Tut

• Like 1

Posted

Daily express saying they predicted the winter correctly, thanks to their 'expert forecasters' what bull****Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Winter will be 'drier than normal', Met Office claimed...but the Express knew truth

DAILY Express long-range weather forecasters warned a severe winter was on the way months before it turned out to be the wettest on record.

I think we all know the Daily Express is cannon fodder when it comes to attention grabbing headlines... Let's hope Joe Public will no longer be sucked into the tripe they post about the weather too!
  • Like 2

Posted

i'd just like to point out that even james madden has admitted he got it wrong on his own website!! some thing the Daily Fail, failed to mention......

• Like 2

Posted

my internet has gone poo (putting it mildly) so if it go you will know why