Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East England & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 15/02/14

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

this is the 'what is everyone having for dinner tonight, forum' isn't it?

it might as well be.......on topic, it was a showery day........dinner topic, Italian  chicken tonight, free range chicken, stuffed with ham and parmesan cheese, topped with a sun dried tomato sauce, chopped spinach, mozzarella and red pepper.....I made it myself......actually that's a blatant lie, but I did cook it myself....nom nom

here's a couple more weather terms for you ...

Slizzle   (sleet and drizzle)

Shizzle (sh*tty drizzle)

Edited by ajpoolshark
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

this is the 'what is everyone having for dinner tonight, forum' isn't it?

If we lived in Bobtown Pensyvania we could all be enjoying a free pizza :-) http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2562431/Chevron-apologizes-residents-small-town-fracking-exploded-burned-five-days-leaving-one-dead-coupon-free-PIZZA.htmlpost-10773-0-61311300-1392919924_thumb.j
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

it might as well be.......on topic, it was a showery day........dinner topic, Italian  chicken tonight, free range chicken, stuffed with ham and parmesan cheese, topped with a sun dried tomato sauce, chopped spinach, mozzarella and red pepper.....I made it myself......actually that's a blatant lie, but I did cook it myself....nom nom

here's a couple more weather terms for you ...

Slizzle   (sleet and drizzle)

Shizzle (sh*tty drizzle)

oven chips and chicken wings here, not even free range wingsPosted Imageno better than a mc donalds, i feel inferior Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

oven chips and chicken wings here, not even free range wingsPosted Imageno better than a mc donalds, i feel inferior Posted Image

Nowt wrong with chicken and chips!

The burning question though is..

"Will it snow.....ever again?" Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

remember the good old days   The big freeze — Nov-Dec 2010

Posted Image

Since late November we've seen a prolonged spell of severe wintry weather.

During this time, government organisations, businesses and the public have relied on the Met Office to provide accurate forecasts and weather warnings so they can plan for what's ahead. 

Some feedback we have received

In a public survey back in November following a heavy snow warning, 80% of people surveyed said they were aware of the warning and 95% of those found the warning useful.

Earlier this month, following the severe snow in Scotland's central belt, a member of the public writing on The Scotsman's website said: "The snow WAS forecast on (the Met Office) website yesterday afternoon for midnight 3am 6am etc. They are not always right but they were with this one."

At the same time a Scottish council said: "The service that you have provided to us, continuously for the past 10 days has been excellent, effective, and very accurate, and we are very satisfied with it."

Earlier this week (w/e 24 December) the Daily Telegraph's leader column said: "The weekend's heavy snowfall was forecast with something approaching pinpoint accuracy by the Met Office."

Finally an airline sent a message recently to say: "The info has been good and the forecasting, actually, has been quite impressive!"

Big freeze facts

The first time a cold spell was mentioned on our website was in our 30-day forecast issued at the start of November - it provided early indications of the onset of a cold spell from late November.

Since the cold spell set in our website has delivered millions of pages every day, peaking on the 20 December when Met Office web pages were viewed around 13,000,000 times.

Forecasting snow, and accurately predicting where it will fall, poses a tough challenge for forecasters. The sheer number of snowfall events over a prolonged period of severe weather created a very busy time for our weather experts.

To give an idea of how we've done over this time, here's a timeline of the severe weather and our assessment of how we've done.

Met Office big freeze timeline

24-25 November 2010

First blast of snow showers, mainly affecting Scotland, North East England and Northern Ireland. Up to 20 cm on the East Pennines by the end of Thursday.   Posted Image 26-27 November 2010

Polar weather system brought further widespread snow to most parts of the country including the South West and Wales. Further snow everywhere on Saturday. Posted Image 28 November 2010

Record minimum temperatures giving the coldest November night on record in Wales and Northern Ireland. More snow in the North and East.  Posted Image 29 Nov-3 December 2010

Relentless snow showers over much of the North and East giving 20-30 cm of lying snow in South Yorkshire and around 40 cm in Lincolnshire.   Posted Image 3 December 2010

A brief, milder spell began in most places.   Posted Image 6-8 December 2010

The snow and cold returned in northern and eastern areas. There was snowfall across the Central Lowlands of Scotland, causing major problems for the transport network that lasted several days.   Posted Image 9 December 2010

Widespread disruption in North West England as slightly warmer air resulted in rain showers falling onto frozen ground, just before the morning rush hours.  Posted Image 16-17 December 2010

Arctic blast from the north starts the second long phase of cold weather with very heavy and frequent snow showers for Scotland, Northern Ireland and Norfolk.   Posted Image 17 December 2010

More significant snow for Northern Ireland, along with parts of Wales and the South West. Posted Image 18 December 2010

The snow affected southern areas, with significant falls around London leading to airports being closed. Posted Image 20 December 2010

An intense band of snow moved across South West England, giving an extra 15-25 cm in places. Posted Image 22 December 2010

The system that caused problems on 20 December re-activated across the Midlands and East Anglia, with 10-15 cm in places Posted Image 26-27 December 2010

A marked change to milder weather pushed across the UK from the west preceded by rain falling on frozen surfaces.

• Like 4

Posted

Southernman has gone back to work and has just called me from Reedham to say it is very windy there and is chucking it down with rain.Don't hear anything here, but then someone seems to be drilling in the vicinity so I can't hear much else.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Thames Valley Police

Flooding –West Ilsley & East Ilsley

Thames Valley Police would like to raise awareness of the current flooding incident in West Berkshire affecting the West Ilsley and East Ilsley local areas and potentially lower down the valley.

Due to the heavy rainfall and saturation of the land, groundwater level which is rather unpredictable is rising at a considerable rate. We are taking a multi-agency approach to quickly respond with our partner agencies to deal effectively with this emerging issue of flooding and we are deploying our resources to monitor and mitigate the effects of the flooding to these areas.

The military are assisting the police and other agencies to put in preventative measures and sandbagging precautions are currently put in place to protect flooding of properties in East Ilsley.

A number of partner agencies are currently involved in pumping water as part of the flood relief efforts in the West Ilsley area. This water is being pumped to a nearby stable and onto the land, which is running as part of the natural water course. The pumping flood relief efforts are having an impact on the surface water only and having minimal impact on groundwater flooding in East Ilsley.

The impact of the increased levels of the groundwater is contributing to the rise of water levels in East Ilsley and risk of flooding of this area in the West Berkshire LPA.

Chief, Insp Cecilia Agger, silver commander said: “Groundwater is rising which is causing flooding, this is due to saturation of the land and surface drainage systems being at full capacity.

“We are working with the military, Royal Berkshire & Fire Rescue Service, Environment Agency and other partner agencies to put in place preventative measures and sandbagging to protect at risk properties.

“I would like to reassure residents we are acting quickly, assessing all risks and taking a multi-agency approach to resolve this emerging flooding risk. Please do not contravene or ignore any road closures put in place, for your safety.

“We aim to ensure there is a minimal disruption to residents but please note there will be some disruption to travel and we would advise residents to look at the West Berkshire Council website for any updates on the road closures.â€

• Like 1

Posted

ecm at 192

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

uppers 850

Posted Image

note the 500

Posted Image

wet yet not stormy

fi though as surrey says

will be back later

its a take your pick with these but i am leaning towards ecm now Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

We've got 65,000,000 kids round so it's chicken nuggets and chips all round except for me and niece who are veggie heads. :)

Re' weather....it's dark, dry and still but a tad chilly.

Enjoy your meals, everyone. :)

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

We've got 65,000,000 kids round so it's chicken nuggets and chips all round except for me and niece who are veggie heads. Posted Image

Re' weather....it's dark, dry and still but a tad chilly.

Enjoy your meals, everyone. Posted Image

Chuck them a party like this too

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Cold.

Homemade chicken soup for me tonight. Trying to have a main meal at lunch and lighter evening meal. Onto the weather phaaa bit drizzly, bit sunny, bit windy.... Off out for a run now....

Ps what's happened to Coast - haven't seen him posting on here lately?

Posted

MEMORY LANE STILL, would love to see a chart like this again, time running out though.

Very cold air of Arctic origin pushed down across the UK from the north during Thursday 16 to Friday 17 December at the start of the second spell of severe weather bringing snow showers to northern Scotland, Northern Ireland, west Wales and south-west England (30 cm at Betws-y-Coed, Snowdonia and 23 cm at Edenfel, County Tyrone on the morning of 18 December, for example).

Figure 5: Synoptic situation at 1800 GMT on Thursday 16 December 2010. A cold front is followed by a bitterly cold Arctic airstream over the UK.

Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Not for the right money. Posted Image

fiver?

Homemade chicken soup for me tonight. Trying to have a main meal at lunch and lighter evening meal. Onto the weather phaaa bit drizzly, bit sunny, bit windy.... Off out for a run now....

Ps what's happened to Coast - haven't seen him posting on here lately?

we are all getting worried in the lack of coast I must admit.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Storms and epic cold snowy winters

Evening peeps......God I hate preparation for stock take it's soooooooooo boring,Earlier starts and later finishes along with a manager from HELL. Anyway what's this about Earthquakes in the South West.

Posted Image

Colder night tonight as well.

Posted Image

Edited by Jason T

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Storms and epic cold snowy winters

This picture is so good..I love it.

Posted Image

• Like 5

Posted

From the daily expressPosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image ignore jonathan powell, he isn't a proper forecaster, but our very own Mike Kipper is even quoted.

Jonathan Powell, forecaster for Vantage Weather Services, said: “There is another bout of wind and rain on the way and it will continue into next week.

“Gusts could hit 60mph in exposed regions and we are looking at more heavy bursts of rain, which in the south is going to be bad news as flooding is still an issue.

“The bad news is there is no sign of this wet and windy picture coming to an end and we could see further downpours into April.â€

Forecaster and former BBC broadcaster Michael Fish said the jet stream, responsible for the relentless storms over the past three months, is once again gathering strength.

He said: “The jet stream will once again strengthen and feed low pressure systems towards us, at the moment they don’t look as intense as we’ve been battered with this year so far, but there’s plenty more rain and wind on the way.â€

• Like 1

Posted

update for now

tonight

look outside Posted Image

tomorrow

Posted Image

a breezy westerly flow and will feel chilly

rain

Posted Image

Posted Image

looks mainly dry

however do not rule out some late pm light showers re the fax chart trough

temps

Posted Image

around 6-8 degrees

will feel chillier than of late

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

tomorrow night

Posted Image

a breezy but not strong westerly flow

rainfall

Posted Image

i see light showers the far north and far south of the region

the rest look dry

temps

Posted Image

Posted Image

looks like cloud and a slight breeze will hold off a frost

will be cold though and not far from freezing where the rain avoids

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

saturday

Posted Image

a breezy but not strong south west flow

rain

Posted Image

Posted Image

dryPosted Image

temps

Posted Image

around 6-8 again but will feel chilly in the wind

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

saturday night

Posted Image

winds increasing

south westerly around 40-50 mph

rainfall

Posted Image

the odd shower being driven in overnight but looks mainly dry

temps

Posted Image

chilly around 4-5 degrees but no frost likely

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

sunday

Posted Image

still a fairly strong south west wind

40-50 mph

maybe a 60mph on coastal areas

rainfall

Posted Image

looks like some showers rattling through the day

however there will also be plenty of dryer slots

so overall could be worse

back later

john

• Like 5

Posted

show me yours and i'll show you mine for boiled carrots in water

Sorry you just made me spit coffee all over my keyboard :D :D

**innocent look** do you really think I'd reveal all for your carrots? :p;)

• Like 1

Posted

Sorry you just made me spit coffee all over my keyboard Posted ImagePosted Image

**innocent look** do you really think I'd reveal all for your carrots? Posted ImagePosted Image

my carrots organicPosted Image