Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East England & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 15/02/14

Snowangel-MK

Posted

Given the contamination, not into the mains supply, I trust, which is what most people seem to use to wash their cars, and would thus only add more water. I see your point about evaporation and transpiration, although the latter's not going to be that substantial at this time of year. 

It's a pity we can't utilise it in some way. All that free water going to waste.  I have an urge to build a water mill now and generate my own electricity.

• Like 1

Posted

We had bamboo in our front garden which was here when we moved it.  It's gone now, but the thing was a bloody menace.  It came up in all different parts of the garden away from the big bush, and started shooting in our neighbours too.  And it grew so thick and fast, if you didn't keep on top of it, it would block the path completely.  It was too big to dig our and we had it professionally removed.  Wouldn't grow it again unless I had a 'big' garden.

So, am I right in thinking more rain at the weekend?  I was really hoping to get out in the back garden for a tidy up then. 

Hi Chilly

We've got some black stem bamboo in massive pots and that's the only way really to keep it in check - it looks great but does need a bit of watering in the dry times (whatever that means!)  I agree that I wouldn't plant it out unless I owned most of China.

AS

• Like 1

Posted

Hi Chilly

We've got some black stem bamboo in massive pots and that's the only way really to keep it in check - it looks great but does need a bit of watering in the dry times (whatever that means!)  I agree that I wouldn't plant it out unless I owned most of China.

AS

:D  I can't believe that when I first bought the house, I thought it looked rather pretty.  I guess kept in check it is.

• Like 1

Posted

right heres the later fax charts

lets see if we can find the press rain deluge tonight

lets do saturday night

rain

Posted Image

Posted Image

looks like a gusty south west wind

but if you have a spare thimble you would still have room left with that rain

sunday

Posted Image

granted a strong south west wind

40-50 mph and maybe a 60 on coasts

rainfall

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

there will be the odd shower but no deluge

overnight

Posted Image

again looks mainly dry

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

monday

Posted Image

breezy south west wind

but a lot less strength than sunday

rain again

Posted Image

some showers around but not too heavy

Posted Image

Posted Image

again a few sharp showers but no deluge showing there

tuesday may see a burst of heavier rain but to me that is fi

these may change tomorrow but at present not looking that bad rain wise

just maybe need to keep an eye on the wind for sunday for now

• Like 6

Posted

At the moment, I'm not sure places like Staines have that option. That castle is one of my favourite buildings on the planet.

Agree entirely that already wet places are impossible...anyway, it was always something of a tongue-in-cheek theory. Bodiam Castle is just so castle-y. And designed as such as it never had much in the way of defensive or military qualities, but was built mainly as a vanity project. And very splendid it is too. Frequently used for history documentaries, one of which features Mrs stun12 chasing an escaped and camera-inquisitive retriever.

Posted

Agree entirely that already wet places are impossible...anyway, it was always something of a tongue-in-cheek theory. Bodiam Castle is just so castle-y. And designed as such as it never had much in the way of defensive or military qualities, but was built mainly as a vanity project. And very splendid it is too. Frequently used for history documentaries, one of which features Mrs stun12 chasing an escaped and camera-inquisitive retriever.

And, as far as I'm aware it's got the earliest still-existing example of a crest featuring six martlets. 

I'm amazed it doesn't flood that often, given that it's relatively near the bottom of the valley and there isn't much difference in height between the top of the moat and the river and the ground level's only a foot or so higher than that.

That sounds like a very funny film.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
UK Outlook for Thursday 6 Mar 2014 to Thursday 20 Mar 2014: met office

Current indications point towards unsettled conditions persisting for much of this period but not to the same severity as we have seen recently. The most likely scenario would see northwestern parts of the UK affected by the most frequent spells of unsettled and windy weather. Meanwhile southern and eastern regions should tend to see longer spells of drier and brighter weather than previous weeks, although still with some periods of rain. Temperatures are likely to be close to the seasonal average with colder periods possible between weather systems. This will maintain the risk of some frosty and icy nights, and also some hill snow, especially in the north.

Updated: 1134 on Wed 19 Feb 2014

Posted

ecm ensembles

temps

Posted Image

average

to turning colder 28th on

note the cold ensembles still there tonight

wind

Posted Image

see the uplift for sunday which is expected

big split on the 26th there

rain

Posted Image

still struggling where all this rain is coming from

26th onwards the express has taken control of gfs Posted ImagePosted Image

pretty plain the 26th has a split so thats fi again

will post gfs ensembles later and may sneak a ramp chart in just for fun

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy, windy, cold.

Hi all. Just popped to patio to refill the bird water dish - can u believe - anyway the sky is orange here. Live in a park so not so much light pollution, but also it smells sweet outside, really odd odour! Unless it's just my over sensitive nose, could be.

Very mild, and starting to drizzle.

No planes over head tonight, nice respite.

• Like 2

Posted

Hi all. Just popped to patio to refill the bird water dish - can u believe - anyway the sky is orange here. Live in a park so not so much light pollution, but also it smells sweet outside, really odd odour! Unless it's just my over sensitive nose, could be.Very mild, and starting to drizzle.No planes over head tonight, nice respite.

9.6c in london, orange sky, must look stunning

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

A rather mild 9.4C at 11.20pm here in south London, courtesy of the southerly winds. Haven't put the heating on all day, and still kept a constant 20-21C indoors, saving on the heating the upside of this mild winter.

Nice to see the sun these last few days, not looking pleasant next week as the jet cranks up again, with a succession of lows likely to bring windier and wetter weather for our region.

Posted

hi nick

gfs has been a wild outlier on this check the london ecm ensembles

i reckon thats being overplayed personally

anyway time will tell on that

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snow and a good Thunder & Lightening

Bodium Castle is beautiful, took this 3 years ago on our visit. Went over the bridge to the train station, everyone in 40's dress, lovely place. I recall the Trust guide saying the portcullis here is one of the highest in operation.

post-18906-0-40367800-1392852168_thumb.j

• Like 3

Posted

hi nick

gfs has been a wild outlier on this check the london ecm ensembles

i reckon thats being overplayed personally

anyway time will tell on that

Let's hope so, though EC is much less developmental than GFS, GEM, JMA and even UKMO as far as it goes. GFS ops have done quite well at handling the Atlantic lows recently, so any upsurge in Atlantic activity it shows I take worrying note of in light of recent problems.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

not been  out since last so previous report holds true.

Posted

Let's hope so, though EC is much less developmental than GFS, GEM, JMA and even UKMO as far as it goes. GFS ops have done quite well at handling the Atlantic lows recently, so any upsurge in Atlantic activity it shows I take worrying note of in light of recent problems.

hi nick

i know what you mean

but gfs has such an atlantic default i am ignoring this for now

at present i am thinking ecm route

i may be wrong but fi and all that so who knows?

Edited by john pike

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

heading off to bed soon. but have you tube on so very distracted again.

• Like 1

Posted

Bodium Castle is beautiful, took this 3 years ago on our visit. Went over the bridge to the train station, everyone in 40's dress, lovely place. I recall the Trust guide saying the portcullis here is one of the highest in operation.

Bodiam Castle is a 14th-century moated castle near Robertsbridge in East Sussex, England. It was built in 1385 by Sir Edward Dalyngrigge, a former knight of Edward III, with the permission of Richard II, ostensibly to defend the area against French invasion during the Hundred Years' War. Of quadrangular plan, Bodiam Castle has no keep, having its various chambers built around the outer defensive walls and inner courts. Its corners and entrance are marked by towers, and topped by crenellations. Its structure, details and situation in an artificial watery landscape indicate that display was an important aspect of the castle's design as well as defence. It was the home of the Dalyngrigge family and the centre of the manor of Bodiam.

Possession of Bodiam Castle passed through several generations of Dalyngrigges, until their line became extinct, when the castle passed by marriage to the Lewknor family. During the Wars of the Roses, Sir Thomas Lewknor supported the House of Lancaster, and when Richard III of the House of York became king in 1483, a force was despatched to besiege Bodiam Castle. It is unrecorded whether the siege went ahead, but it is thought that Bodiam was surrendered without much resistance. The castle was confiscated, but returned to the Lewknors when Henry VII of the House of Lancaster became king in 1485. Descendants of the Lewknors owned the castle until at least the 16th century.

By the start of the English Civil War in 1641, Bodiam Castle was in the possession of John Tufton. He supported the Royalist cause, and sold the castle to help pay fines levied against him by Parliament. The castle was subsequently dismantled, and was left as a picturesque ruin until its purchase by John Fuller in 1829. Under his auspices, the castle was partially restored before being sold to George Cubitt, 1st Baron Ashcombe, and later to Lord Curzon, both of whom undertook further restoration work. The castle is protected as a Grade I listed building and Scheduled Monument. It has been owned by The National Trust since 1925, donated by Lord Curzon on his death, and is open to the public.

Posted

gfs control run hinting at high pressure again in the later stages

Posted Image

not overly warm but looks dry

i am sure a few people would like something like this

fi though so cannot be confident of this

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

I've seen something extraordinary on a video tonight, I’ve never even heard of it before ... glacier calving