Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East England & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 15/02/14

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Indeed.  Mind you, the local BBC forecast is suggesting heavy rain and strong winds on Sunday.

Dammit!  I have a whole two day weekend this week and planned to use it, outside.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and no more than 25degC

Had quite a lot more rain yesterday than I was expecting and thankfully drier but still grey and drizzly today.

On the subject of wet gardens - I hope no-one has this going on:

http://www.itv.com/news/meridian/update/2014-02-19/wobbly-ground-side-effect-of-waterlogged-field/

Finally some sad but possibly weather-related news: Ginger piggy lost his wifepig Tia on sunday Posted ImagePosted Image Both had been boarding at the vets all last week whilst she was being treated successfully, we all thought, for a nasty infection of the external ear canal. But on sunday it broke through to the middle/inner ear and she went suddenly downhill so was PTS by the out of hours vet.  Talking it through monday with the regular vet (who Xrayed her body and found the ear drum still intact) ), the best theory we can come up with is that the low pressure friday/saturday and resulting pressure equalisation mechanism operating between middle and outer ear  may have created an opportunity for the infection to spread inward. RIP little girly - hopefully we can find blind Ginger a new "guide-pig" soon as he is lost without her.

Xxx

Edited by PiggiePalace
  • Like 1

Posted

Had quite a lot more rain yesterday than I was expecting and thankfully drier but still grey and drizzly today.

On the subject of wet gardens - I hope no-one has this going on:

http://www.itv.com/news/meridian/update/2014-02-19/wobbly-ground-side-effect-of-waterlogged-field/

Finally some sad but possibly weather-related news: Ginger piggy lost his wifepig Tia on sunday Posted ImagePosted Image Both had been boarding at the vets all last week whilst she was being treated successfully, we all thought, for a nasty infection of the external ear canal. But on sunday it broke through to the middle/inner ear and she went suddenly downhill so was PTS by the out of hours vet.  Talking it through monday with the regular vet (who Xrayed her body and found the ear drum still intact) ), the best theory we can come up with is that the low pressure friday/saturday and resulting pressure equalisation mechanism operating between middle and outer ear  may have created an opportunity for the infection to spread inward. RIP little girly - hopefully we can find blind Ginger a new "guide-pig" soon as he is lost without her.

Xxx

So sad Posted Imageand sorry to hear.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

A Centrebus has left the Luton-Dunstable guided busway at around 14:00 hrs today, taking out a fence in the process.....

post-10773-0-40221500-1392826718_thumb.j

...two people were injured (not badly I hope)  - I'm not sure how that can happen if it's a guided bus !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

A Centrebus has left the Luton-Dunstable guided busway at around 14:00 hrs today, taking out a fence in the process.....

Posted Image1654271_830498153634231_1249583523_n.jpg

...two people were injured (not badly I hope)  - I'm not sure how that can happen if it's a guided bus !

It was obviously a misguided bus. Posted Image

They put one in Cambridge-Ely. Where it goes along the road, they closed (another) lane and put up hideous solid concrete wall. Not a very nice first impression of the town for visitors.

Edited by Iceni
  • Like 1

Posted

Finally some sad but possibly weather-related news: Ginger piggy lost his wifepig Tia on sunday Posted ImagePosted Image

So sorry to hear that....I hope Ginger Piggy gets a new piggy play mate soon - I saw some lovely piggies needing homes on here... 

http://www.animals-in-need.org/

..... if anyone in this area is looking to re-home an animal they are a great organisation Posted Image

Thames Valley Police

Thames Valley Police is issuing the below advice to residents of West Berkshire & Windsor on behalf of the Environment Agency & Scottish and Southern Energy (SSE):

Please consider the following advice for after a flood from SSE:

•If your home has been flooded, please keep away from the electrical equipment. Call our emergency number to arrange a safety visit so we can check our main fuse and your meter.

•Make sure your internal wiring and appliances are checked by a qualified electrician before you turn anything back on.

•If you still have no electricity after an electrician has checked everything, and your fuses and trip switch are in the on position, please call our emergency number.

•Your electricity supplier is responsible for your meter, but if it is faulty we will contact them for you.

•Don’t run a generator indoors as the exhaust fumes can kill.

•If you need to leave your property, turn off your main electricity switch if it is safe to do so. In case we need to enter your property, please let us know how and where we can contact you.

The Environment Agency advises the following:

Cleaning up after a flood

•Flood water can contain sewage and chemicals. Always wear waterproof clothing, gloves, wellington boots and a face mask.

•Make sure that your electrics and central heating are checked by qualified engineers before switching them back on.

•Clean and disinfect your property using ordinary household products.

•Use a normal garden hose to wash down surfaces.

•If you are drying your property naturally, keep windows and doors open as much as possible. If using dehumidifiers, close all windows and doors.

Insurance

•Ask your insurance company how long it will be before the loss adjuster visits.

•Photograph or film your damaged property.

•Keep copies of letters, emails and receipts as well as making a note of all phone calls.

•Flood repairs can take weeks or months to complete. Ask your insurance company if they will provide temporary accommodation.

•If you don’t have insurance, your local council should be able to provide you with information on hardship grants and charities.

For more information please visit: http://a0768b4a8a31e106d8b0-50dc802554eb38a24458b98ff72d550b.r19.cf3.rackcdn.com/flho0911bugi-e-e.pdf 

http://www.ssepd.co.uk/PowerCuts/Flooding/

Edited by MKsnowangel
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

I saw a wasp in Mapperley today.

It didnt say hello though.

I saw a wasp in my cats bowl and i did say hello with my foot.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted

I had to kill a silverfish last week, it was scampering "very quickly" across the lounge floor, no Idea where it came from, suspect the recent damp weather is partly to blame as I keep a dry and clean modern home, I did try to rescue it but just too damn quick.

Been out and it is sunny and mild out there this evening, quite the change from recent days.

Posted

That is just up the road from me, they do a fantastic job and fully support their cause.  The farm is just off the A509 at Little Irchester near to Wellingborough (where Whitworths is that do Sugar, Flour and nuts amongst other things).  Also close to where I work.

• Like 1

Posted

Difference between sat and today is the top one

Oh gosh - that's not looking good :-(

Posted

Here is my long range weather prediction ( guess) for the next two months. Much dryer, but cool sunny March, northern blocking with cold, frost, snow, come April, with possible white Easter. Anyone got the number for the Daily Express?

• Like 3

Posted

Here is my long range weather prediction ( guess) for the next two months. Much dryer, but cool sunny March, northern blocking with cold, frost, snow, come April, with possible white Easter. Anyone got the number for the Daily Express?

March sounds like heaven.

Don't like cold frost or snow in April. No orchard fruit as that's when the blossom comes out and it will kill the bees (again - 2012 was the worst year for bee keepers in a 100 years, there literally weren't any and everyone had to restock from abroad).

Edited by Iceni

Posted

Posted Image

Difference between sat and today is the top one

Posted ImageDSC_0919.JPG

Posted ImageDSC_0917.JPG

How much sun does that part of the garden get? You ought to consider giving it a bit more light by cutting back that bamboo - it will soon grow up again - don't want to be nosey but if I was trying to re-establish a lawn and dry it out, that is what I'd do... get as much sun and wind onto it as possible.

Edited by Iceni
  • Like 3

Posted

March sounds like heaven.

Don't like cold frost or snow in April. No orchard fruit as that's when the blossom comes out and it will kill the bees (again - 2012 was the worst year for bee keepers in a 100 years, there literally weren't any and everyone had to restock from abroad).

Late cold is catastrophic for wild life, the queen bees get wiped out in late cold spells and bees are so important for the ecosystem.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Storms and epic cold snowy winters

Hell all. Oh well back to what can only be described as the norm. Rain totals up until Friday.

Posted Image

Posted

Hell all. Oh well back to what can only be described as the norm. Rain totals up until Friday.

Posted Image

Does that look like about 5mm for most of us? Sheer luxury.

having to bite my tongue here............

Would you like a mashed potato and pea sandwich with that?

Not too bad again here today. A couple of showers overnight and a bit of drizzle early doors. Still a mudbath in the woods - it seems to get (even) slipperier when some of the water drains out of it. I've managed to stay upright so far (apart from last Friday, but that was only weather-related as far as it involved being on here) but I suspect that will change.

Totally on another matter, does anyone know what sort of animal digs up bluebell bulbs? They're just coming up in the woods and I keep coming across small digs where there are bulbs scattered around afterwards. I've picked a few loose bulbs up and replanted them in our bit of woods which desperately needs some new flora, but I was just wondering what does it in the first place. We have the usual foxes and possibly badgers in the area.

• Like 1

Posted

Totally on another matter, does anyone know what sort of animal digs up bluebell bulbs? They're just coming up in the woods and I keep coming across small digs where there are bulbs scattered around afterwards. I've picked a few loose bulbs up and replanted them in our bit of woods which desperately needs some new flora, but I was just wondering what does it in the first place. We have the usual foxes and possibly badgers in the area.

My guess would be Rabbits !
  • Like 1

How much sun does that part of the garden get? You ought to consider giving it a bit more light by cutting back that bamboo - it will soon grow up again - don't want to be nosey but if I was trying to re-establish a lawn and dry it out, that is what I'd do... get as much sun and wind onto it as possible.

Mate if I do that it will start coming up through the grass, it's some rapid growing bamboo that I got from a place near me (I pulled a bit out the ground 2 years back) its about 10-12 feet high, in summer, when you cut it back, within days it starts shooting up.. But I would consider doing that, it dont get that much light because of the shed and garage too

Oh and I love bamboo.. It is one of the most easiest things to grow.. I am buying giant bamboo this year and lining it along the back fence to try and use it as a giant plug to suck up water hardy down to minus 20 and loves sun and warmth, grows to over 40 feet tall and in the height of summer with the right conditions will grow 2-3" a day 

Now I know it won't get this big.. but would be a great thing to have Posted Image

post-12648-0-96367900-1392840052_thumb.j

• Like 1

Posted

hi all

hope your well

updates i have for now

tonight

showers around tonight with the odd heavier burst

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

temps

Posted Image

about 7-8 degrees

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

tomorrow

Posted Image

a weak west-north westerly flow

rainfall

7am

Posted Image

wet and moreso in the south of the region

at 1pm

Posted Image

again more rain but not heavy

may stay dry to the far north of the region

temps

Posted Image

could see a 12 degree temperature in this set up

but will cool down quick when night sets in

Posted Image

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

tomorrow night

Posted Image

a weak north west to west flow and will be a chilly flow

rainfall

Posted Image

looks dry

temps

Posted Image

Posted Image

looks like a cold one

a frost is possible but the wind if your exposed to it may just avoid it

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

friday

Posted Image

a breezy but not strong north west to west flow and will feel cold

rainfall

Posted Image

still looks mainly dry here

a chance of some afternoon showers but re the fax charts they look low risk

temps

Posted Image

Posted Image

a cold one here

around 5-8 degrees and will feel cold in the wind

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

friday night

Posted Image

a breezy more south west wind

rainfall

Posted Image

expect showers and some may be heavy

temps

Posted Image

around 5-6 degrees

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

saturday

Posted Image

a south west flow and getting breezier as we go through the day

rainfall

Posted Image

looks dry am

but the far south may get clipped by some heavy showers for a time

more heavier rain likely late saturday overnight to sunday am

temps

Posted Image

Posted Image

around 6-8 degrees

later when the rain arrives it will start to feel quite humid

thats it for now

be back later with the rest

Edited by john pike
  • Like 7

Posted

Oh and I love bamboo.. It is one of the most easiest things to grow.. I am buying giant bamboo this year and lining it along the back fence to try and use it as a giant plug to suck up water hardy down to minus 20 and loves sun and warmth, grows to over 40 feet tall and in the height of summer with the right conditions will grow 2-3" a day  

Maybe you should reconsider your planting options and just grow your own rice instead ;-)
  • Like 1

Posted

Mate if I do that it will start coming up through the grass, it's some rapid growing bamboo that I got from a place near me (I pulled a bit out the ground 2 years back) its about 10-12 feet high, in summer, when you cut it back, within days it starts shooting up.. But I would consider doing that, it dont get that much light because of the shed and garage too

Now I know it won't get this big.. but would be a great thing to have Posted Image

Posted Imagebamboo.JPG

And at least giant bamboo's not one of the invasive types, so shouldn't start encroaching into your neighbours' gardens. Has the water started going down yet?