Cold?
IGNORED

South East England & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 15/02/14

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Storms and epic cold snowy winters

Another one.

Someone's car vanished down one the other day

Its the 6th sinkhole in 2 weeks. Bloody worrying stuff this, Much higher water table levels are just now washing away stability in some areas.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snow and a good Thunder & Lightening

A fair day down here, only had a brief shower of icy rain around 7pm.  The Brighton mainline is still flooded and the water table has risen above the line and still rising.  The underground river and surrounding chalk land that runs along the main Lewes Road drag, I think must now be at capacity as the water is starting to come up through some of the drains.  Patcham has had a large pumping system installed to try an alleviate the situation.

On the tour I did of the victorian sewers the engineers showed us a 'overflow containment area' this was like an extra storm drain emergency contingent.  They described how when the last major flood event came in 2000, it filled so quickly they had no options but to let it out to sea without treating it or it would have just flooded back up drains, toilets etc.  It does make me wonder how many times they have had to use this tactic during this long dreary winter.  

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

A fair day down here, only had a brief shower of icy rain around 7pm.  The Brighton mainline is still flooded and the water table has risen above the line and still rising.  The underground river and surrounding chalk land that runs along the main Lewes Road drag, I think must now be at capacity as the water is starting to come up through some of the drains.  Patcham has had a large pumping system installed to try an alleviate the situation.

On the tour I did of the victorian sewers the engineers showed us a 'overflow containment area' this was like an extra storm drain emergency contingent.  They described how when the last major flood event came in 2000, it filled so quickly they had no options but to let it out to sea without treating it or it would have just flooded back up drains, toilets etc.  It does make me wonder how many times they have had to use this tactic during this long dreary winter.  

no swimming in brighton this summer...yuck. My brother has an interview in brighton on friday, will he be able to get there by rail?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snow and a good Thunder & Lightening

no swimming in brighton this summer...yuck. My brother has an interview in brighton on friday, will he be able to get there by rail?

Don't know how long they will have to wait for the water to recede and the damage to the signalling boxes.  May have to take a train to Lewes and then connection with Brighton if he would normally use the main London to Brighton Line.  The Local rag 'The Argus' is doing travel updates on it, so he can check in with whats happening there.

Posted

Yes he was going to use the main london to brighton line, if there is more rain, then the flooding will not be sorted, maybe he should drive instead. Thankyou for the info, very helpful.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Its the 6th sinkhole in 2 weeks. Bloody worrying stuff this,

*sings*We are sinking, we are sinking MK will soon be by the sea(To the tune of we are sailing)
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy, windy, cold.

Its the 6th sinkhole in 2 weeks. Bloody worrying stuff this, Much higher water table levels are just now washing away stability in some areas.

Tis a worrying pattern, sky news just said fire brigade said its 25foot wide. Defo said wide,, as I wasn't sure if they meant deep. Very wide if that big... I see one Croxley green near Watford today too.Raining here now, was so lovely not having rain yesterday and most of today.Quite mild too.
  • Like 1

Posted

Tis a worrying pattern, sky news just said fire brigade said its 25foot wide. Defo said wide,, as I wasn't sure if they meant deep. Very wide if that big... I see one Croxley green near Watford today too.Raining here now, was so lovely not having rain yesterday and most of today.Quite mild too.

It was potholes last winter, now 25ft sinkholes. whatever next.....very frightening

Posted

Terrifying holes that are opening up all over Britain: They're appearing at FIVE TIMES their normal rate and further bad weather could mean we haven't seen the last of them

• Sinkholes seen in Kent, South-East London and Hemel Hempstead
  • One in High Wycombe engulfed a car as it was parked in the driveway
  • Expert believes sinkholes are appearing five times their normal rate
  • Forecast heavy rain could mean more holes appear around the country

from mail online btw

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

Terrifying holes that are opening up all over Britain: They're appearing at FIVE TIMES their normal rate and further bad weather could mean we haven't seen the last of them

from mail online btw

Global warming. Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow all the way

from mail online btw

Its true, we have one appeared at my sons school and one on the motorway near us! very worrying..

Maybe we should change the Snow Depth Cup Challenge to the Sink Hole Challenge!  

Edited by Biensie
  • Like 2

Posted

Britain's flood misery will drag on till MAY as forecasters warn of MORE torrential rain BRITAIN’S flood misery is set to drag on for MONTHS as forecasters warn of more torrential rain on the way.

From the daily express, so feel free to laugh at this one.

• Like 1

Posted

whatever next.....very frightening

An even more frightening 'Viking' apocalypse .. ? ...post-10773-0-57863900-1392675570_thumb.jBelievers say that when 'Ragnarok' arrives on February 22nd the Earth will split open unleashing the inhabitants of Hell - maybe not Vikings or Hell but it really makes you seriously wonder what is next !
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

It's raining a tiny bit here. Well, we need it.....not!

The flat I went to see today was awful. Smelt of damp and dirt. It definitely needs to disappear down a sink hole IMO. :D

Oh.....Fenris is scratching at the window......oh, hang on, it's Banshee the cat. :D

• Like 1

Posted

do you ever get that sinking feeling? Posted Image Posted Image

sorry couldnt help it

Police Alerts UK & News reports

‪#‎UK‬ 'Sixth Sinkhole' Leaves House Close To Collapse

Three homes have been evacuated over fears one was in danger of collapse after a sinkhole - the UK's sixth in a month - opened up.

A cordon has been put in place to protect members of the public in Magdelen's Road in Ripon, North ‪#‎Yorkshire‬, after police were alerted at about 5.40pm on Monday.

No injuries have been reported at this stage and police officers are going from house to house to warn residents close to the affected properties.

Firefighters, ambulance crews, utilities engineers and structural engineers are also at the scene.

Posted

Britain set for BEST summer ever as nation says goodbye to winter from HELL

AS Britain's worst winter in decades is almost over, scientists are predicting this year's summer could be the BEST ever.

this from the daily starPosted Image

Posted

fax charts for what its worth

Posted Image

thursday night more likely to see more thunderstorms

however should move through quickly

gusty south west wind

dry other than that

Posted Image

could be quite a cold day

sat

Posted Image

a chilly but not to strong north west flow

trough over us again

Posted Image

Posted Image

feeling cold again

some showers but look to be less intense as will cross through before the warmer uppers arrive

dry if you exclude the trough

Posted Image

ukmo at 144 looks dry

Posted Image

Posted Image

and a shade warmer

lets see what these show tomorrow now

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Hear there is a thunder risk for tomorrow, we've already seen a fair bit in this extraordinarily wild start to 2014!

• Like 2

Posted

Police Alerts UK & News reports‪#‎UK‬ 'Sixth Sinkhole' Leaves House Close To CollapseThree homes have been evacuated over fears one was in danger of collapse after a sinkhole - the UK's sixth in a month - opened up.A cordon has been put in place to protect members of the public in Magdelen's Road in Ripon, North ‪#‎Yorkshire‬, after police were alerted at about 5.40pm on Monday.No injuries have been reported at this stage and police officers are going from house to house to warn residents close to the affected properties.Firefighters, ambulance crews, utilities engineers and structural engineers are also at the scene.

hi mk

not mocking but this has been going on for years now

also you know my thoughts and not much we can do about it

i think a lot of problems stem from building on unsuitable land

like building on floodplains

edit

its raining

Edited by john pike
  • Like 4

Posted
Posted

AS Britain's worst winter in decades is almost over, scientists are predicting this year's summer could be the BEST ever.

I'll believe it when I see it. And what do they mean by BEST anyway? Hosepipe ban by July? 

Posted

It's quite fun to watch the Star gradually mutate into the Express for people with an even lower reading age... They've had quite quite a few weather stories with quotes from 'scientists' recently and following the Express approach of chuck in a quote from the Met Office that's quite measured, then switch and bait with some nutter from his shed talking about apocalyptic snow or deadly heat waves. Cheap way to get 'news' I suppose...