Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East England & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 15/02/14

Snowangel-MK

Posted

Morning everyone.

Part cloudy here and still pretty windy.

No damage to note in the immediate vicinity, thankfully. Certainly quite a number of strong gusts throughout the night which woke me up. The back of my place is far noisier during storms due to the number of trees nearby. Even now, sat at the front, you can hear the odd gust but its pretty quiet. In the back bedroom it sounds like I'm in the middle of the apocalypse. Goes to show that those people who have a lot of trees near them will always find these storms far scarier and louder than those who don't.

I don't remember 87 - I was 8, but was only interested in snow. I have memories before I went to bed (staying with Aunt and Uncle, and they were worried about my cousin being out with it being so windy, noise down chimney) and the next day - no school! power out, trees down around the town. Annoyed that I have no memory of what those kind of winds sound like. I slept through the whole thing! :)

Anyway, hope everyone is safe and haven't suffered any bad damage.

Have a lovely day!

Posted

Hi all,

Wow what a wild night. Really noisy but everything intact thankfully.

Mr. Tom, this trampoline photo was taken in Chislehurst this morning. Is it yours? Posted Image

Posted Image

ahh so thats where the trampoline ended up last night after seeing me neighbours chasing down the road.. went quite a distance from here tho!!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

The weather clearly can't commit today...it's sunny and trying to rain & blowing a gale all all once...choose one & stick to it..... my votes for sunshine Posted Image

Off out for Master D's birthday lunch in a few minutes - catch you all later !

Edited by MKsnowangel
  • Like 2

Posted

Mr. Tom, this trampoline photo was taken in Chislehurst this morning. Is it yours? Posted Image

I'm not sure if that's Tom's trampoline but Eric the goat isn't happy about the wind.....

post-10773-0-79906800-1392466407_thumb.j

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales/storms, snow, thunder!

I tell you what some of these squalls with the passing showers don't half pack a punch this is the sting in the storms tail, near calm and sunshine 1 minute lashing it down and 55-60mph gusts the next!

Just found a rather large part of a conifer tree in the garden so rang the police who have put me through to Special Branch.  They will be around later as they are presently at a sink hole in Hemel Hempstead looking into that first, I thank youPosted Image

Still getting some rather large gust here and spits and spots of rain.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Well isn't it a joke?

The farm manager (who doesn't even own the land) has been threatening to fell a beautiful line of poplars beside the road for the last few years. He's already taken down 30 of them further down the lane although only a few had a problem.

But this morning we awoke to chainsaws just beside our front garden hedge. A large branch of one of HIS field-side poplars to the SW had come down across the road and smashed the top branches off our plum tree. I looked at the line of poplars under threat and not a SINGLE one of their branches had come off onto the farm track to their NNW - it wouldn't matter if they did anyway - it's a farm track and the prevailing wind's from the SW. They're all upright like a line of guardsmen on parade.

Also love the way he just marched into our garden without bothering to ring our door bell to remove the branch and left me with a tangle of poplar and plum branches to clear up.

We have this dream of letting the house, moving to Canada and letting the bottom acre of our garden to a tribe of gypsy travellers on a 9-year lease. See how he likes them instead of us.

Edited by Iceni
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Well you'd never that just a few hours ago it was torrential rain and gale force winds. Blue skies and sun out there now!

Posted

Well you'd never that just a few hours ago it was torrential rain and gale force winds. Blue skies and sun out there now!

The day after the '87 hurricane was just like this but clearer - blue sky and completely calm - we could tackle the devastation with no worries about other branches blowing off onto us.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Wind, Rain, Sun.....but mainly cooler weather!

The storm damage here is negligible.

This was the worst thing I saw.

post-3066-0-77474300-1392470407_thumb.jp

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

Crumbs! I think some of those gusts today are worse than last night. I thought the front door was about to blow in just now. Some rare old noises going on and the river is really choppy again. But it's sunny and bright with plenty of clouds.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Windy still with showers here, expect things to turn colder later as it remains clear.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Wind, Rain, Sun.....but mainly cooler weather!

Did you ring the fire brigadePosted Image  Same here, certainly windy but with little sign of any damage.Posted Image

All joking apart, very glad the damage is negligible.

Posted

What do people make of the 2 waves of rain coming in on the radar? They are forming into very straight lines.

Posted

They look to be just missing this area, but some bright spots in there and in the Channel.

Posted

Afternoon all, bit late today, but a lot has happened firstly wind (external) woke me at 1:15 this morning, it was quiet magical as it was howling a tune, something I never heard before, also it was as light as day, a magical full moon occasionally being covered by very fast moving scudding clouds, truly worth getting out of bed for. Because of this excursion I managed to oversleep, so I was late to go shopping, anyway couldn't get out the gate because of that blooming ole. Safety fancies where around 20 houses aways, dangers signs where scattered everywhere, along with sandbags which are meant to stop them blowing over. Minor damage around here, neighbours trellis isn't there any more, few roof tiles gone, but nothing like '87 when out of 60 houses around our crescent we where the only house that wasn't severely damaged, that noise in the night will live with me forever, so will standing in the crescent watching whole roof fluttering down to the ground, think we lost around 5 complete roofs and 54 more damaged some beyond repair, most sheds where smashed to pieces although I did see I come past my first floor bedroom window.

Now for the very childish bit for which I truly apologise, I looked into the 'ole and as I said its very deep and I was surprised to see a kangaroo in their, like I said it is deep, so I said why don't you hop it. I told you it was bad and childish, that will teach you.

Really unhappy as being a Charlton supporter I left early for the big cup match up in Sheffield along with a couple of thousands other mad Addicks, only to hear half up that the game was postponed. That was 3 hours and god knows how much diesel I will never see again, and just to make it better the bridge was closed so queued both ways. Mind you fill sorry for my boy he was really looking forward to watching a game of football, now he's gone back home to help plan his wedding in 2 years time, first time I seen him scream, cry and kick as I dropped him off at his home and insisted he got out the car :-). It was interesting that he showed me the wind damage to a house just around the corner from, the whole gable wall had came down last night, house was only 5 years old.

Weather can't make it mind here one minute sunny and calm, next minute blustery and wet.

Edited by Charltonkerry
  • Like 4

Posted

More than a dozen homes have been evacuated after a 35ft-wide sinkhole opened up in a street in Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire.

Hertfordshire police say they have evacuated 17 properties at the site in Oatridge Gardens, Hemel Hempstead.

They said they received a report at 7.30am this morning to say the sinkhole had opened up.

Sky News reporter Siobhan Robbins says residents at the scene reported feeling the ground shake overnight.

It is believed the sinkhole opened up at about 6am. 

The emergency services are still trying to cut off the gas and the electricity to homes around the site.

The road and several other surrounding roads have been closed.

http://news.sky.com/story/1212076/homes-evacuated-as-20ft-deep-sinkhole-appears

post-10773-0-39549700-1392474552_thumb.j

Posted

They look to be just missing this area, but some bright spots in there and in the Channel.

I was thinking the 2 looks to be joining up?
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow

Massive clap of thunder and lightning about 5mins ago here!!Now the sun is shining again!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Less tha n half an hour to go till knock off (yay!), phone has been ringing all bleeding day (why oh why on my callout!?!)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun, Deep Snow, Convective Goodness, Anvil Crawlers

Watching that little cell blowing towards us from kent. We're just at the corner of the anvil, really quite nice structure. Think it might just clip us, although hoping it delivers a bit of zap before it blows through.

Damage wise we took a bit of a pasting, gutter, fence, hanging baskets all not where they should be this morning, and it's stayed gusty all day tbh....

• Like 2

Posted

Did the Burns Day Storm last into the next day (26 January) I'm just wondering if it is the one I'm remembering.

It's lovely sunshine here but wow..it's still blowing a hooley. :O

Never mind....I'll look it up somewhere.

Edited by Keraunophile