Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East England & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 15/02/14

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Locally to me last nights winds appear to have caused the most damaged since 1987, and it is the most I have seen around me in the seven years I have lived here, it may just be the combined impact of so many wind storms in a short period, who knows?

A look at the map below shows winds in the 87 storm show gusts weren't as strong across Beds (assuming you were living there) as further SE, so perhaps you didn't experience the full scary fury as I did down in south Kent at the time. 

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/news/in-depth/1987-great-storm/fact-file

post-1052-0-60485000-1392461045_thumb.jp

But, like you say, the sheer number of wind storms this winter and last late autumn has probably weakened trees and structures, so the sustained impacts maybe greater than one strong wind storm such as 87.

Edited by Nick F
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

I know it's high up but the barometer at the top of the BT Tower in London recorded 107mph before it stopped taking readings, Shoreham recorded 115mph and Folkestone in Norfolk reached 122mph the highest gust recorded on British mainland in the channel islands gusts of over 130mph where reported.

Didn't know about the BT Tower one - maybe I should have stated inland and lowland in my parameters. I know the Norfolk reading was found to be erroneous, due to dodgy equipment - I think it was estimated to be 98mph, after  correcting factor.

I can remember at the time that a Chelmsford station recorded over 100mph, but I'm thinking that must have been discounted, due to the fact I've not seen it mentioned since. I actually wonder now whether 99mph at Gatwick was the highest recorded for inland and low lying in the UK in the 1987 storm?

I remember a storm in January 1976 producing inland gusts of 100mph or more in our locality (in Norwich and Wittering in Cambs, for instance) but cannot recall another storm doing so.

Posted

Well, husband's hard work on the fence panels following the Xmas storms came to nowt last night as they all came down again. Still gusting strongly now with some dark skies. Off to the south coast for a few days to see what it's all like Bournemouth-Poole way.

Posted

There was a gust of 106mph at Ashford Kent, always remember the measurement recorded, as I was living there (only 12 yrs old) at the time it went through, not sure if it was an official recording, but there is mention of it one of my weather books and here:

http://www.theweatheroutlook.com/twoother/twocontent.aspx?type=libgen&id=1433

What was notable was the duration and strength of the sustained wind speeds across the SE, let alone the very strong gusts, hence such widespread damge caused, flattening of woodland not helped by trees being in full leaf.

Good article here from RMS:

https://support.rms.com/publications/Great_Storm_of_1987.pdf

Thanks for that. I'm always interested in these articles and you've probably answered my question too. :good:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy, windy, cold.

Morning all. Didn't go to bed till gone 2am, as was so noisey. Was amazing tracking the flights on the app, one BA from Oslo tried to go into heathrow for ages, ended up at Leeds around 1am.

I didn't live in London during the 87 storm, but know people who did who said it was the most incredible constant noise and that nothing has come close since.

I remember the 2000 storm, trains were all cancelled at Waterloo.

Being from s Wales, we got a lot of stormy weather, but certainly not as much as this.

Last night has rearranged the garden, but atleast roof is intact and not flooded, unlike the poor souls down the road in egham, Staines.

It's gusty this morning. Currently dry although cloud creeping in from west.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Tornadoes, Snow and Hot Sun

rumble of thunder here but its passed over very quickly

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather extremes

Another big hailstorm here, everything is white again :-) noticed four trees down on our journey to tenterden, one being a huge fir which had gone right across the road into the field. And Hexden channel river is over again too

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales/storms, snow, thunder!

There was a gust of 106mph at Ashford Kent, always remember the measurement recorded, as I was living there (only 12 yrs old) at the time it went through, not sure if it was an official recording, but there is mention of it one of my weather books and here: http://www.theweatheroutlook.com/twoother/twocontent.aspx?type=libgen&id=1433  What was notable was the duration and strength of the sustained wind speeds across the SE, let alone the very strong gusts, hence such widespread damge caused, flattening of woodland not helped by trees being in full leaf Good article here from RMS: https://support.rms.com/publications/Great_Storm_of_1987.pdf

Yes that's what I remember about the 2000 storm also the very high constant speed probably about 45-50mph in itself if not more, this winters storms over inland areas at least have been quite gusty but with calm periods between gusts so lower average speeds, the average speed in 1987 taken over the UK as a whole was over 80mph.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Wind still very strong here, but the sun is out so it is nice and bright but not that I plan to venture out anywhere till a lot later anyway.

Posted

Didn't know about the BT Tower one - maybe I should have stated inland and lowland in my parameters. I know the Norfolk reading was found to be erroneous, due to dodgy equipment - I think it was estimated to be 98mph, after  correcting factor. I can remember at the time that a Chelmsford station recorded over 100mph, but I'm thinking that must have been discounted, due to the fact I've not seen it mentioned since. I actually wonder now whether 99mph at Gatwick was the highest recorded for inland and low lying in the UK in the 1987 storm? I remember a storm in January 1976 producing inland gusts of 100mph or more in our locality (in Norwich and Wittering in Cambs, for instance) but cannot recall another storm doing so.

No the 122mph at Folkestone in Norfolk was official and there's no way even if the equipment was abit faulty that it could have been that far wrong, it's on the Great Storm Wikipedia article if you want to take a look, there's no mention of the gust being disqualified on there!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Morning. Can honestly say that was the worst wind I've heard this winter so far. On par with October 2000 that was with the same roaring effect and house shaking gusts all night long. Think this one was a little underestimated, and probably due to storm fatigue that it was!

Posted

No the 122mph at Folkestone in Norfolk was official and there's no way even if the equipment was abit faulty that it could have been that far wrong, it's on the Great Storm Wikipedia article if you want to take a look, there's no mention of the gust being disqualified on there!

I've definitely read somewhere that it was and I take nothing on Wikipedia at face value.

In my mind, Shoreham was the highest in the UK, which was exceeded by wind gusts in France. The '87 low was actually slowly filling as it crossed the UK, so strongest winds on the south coast would make more sense.

Posted

Morning. Can honestly say that was the worst wind I've heard this winter so far. On par with October 2000 that was with the same roaring effect and house shaking gusts all night long. Think this one was a little underestimated, and probably due to storm fatigue that it was!

I'm assuming you missed the full effects of October 2000 then?..cause last night was bad don't get me wrong but 2000 was considerably worse particularly given the relentlessly high sustained wind.

Posted

Still very blowy here and it was very noisy overnight. The nearest weather station put the max gust at about 60 mph.

However, for Meopham the main event was the torrential rain (squall line?) that came through around just before 7pm. This combined with the saturated ground caused immediate flash flooding of a level I hadn't seen around here before. The A227 turned into a river in minutes and stayed that way for an hour or so after the rain passed. I could see it running into people's gardens as I drove to Culverstone and I just hope homes weren't damaged :-(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny; chilly and sunny; thunderstorms; extreme

Well, husband's hard work on the fence panels following the Xmas storms came to nowt last night as they all came down again. Still gusting strongly now with some dark skies. Off to the south coast for a few days to see what it's all like Bournemouth-Poole way.

I brief look through the SW thread doesn't make for happy reading Bournemouth, Poole and Ringwood way, lots of trees down and of course the evacuation of the restaurant at Milford Haven. Hope your place has survived OK.

Posted

Really torrential shower passing through winds have squalled up also.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

I'm assuming you missed the full effects of October 2000 then?..cause last night was bad don't get me wrong but 2000 was considerably worse particularly given the relentlessly high sustained wind.

Nope, remember it as clear as crystal. Probably because I'm nowhere near the coast, so I normally, with most storms get 55-60mph gusts. October 2000 is still the worst I've experienced to this date, don't get me wrong. So if burns day was as bad as 2000, as well as 1987, then good grief is all I can say haha.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny; chilly and sunny; thunderstorms; extreme

Been out for a blustery walk to the local parks. Our next door neighbour has lost 8 ridge tiles from their roof, now smashed on the patio- didn't hear them during the night and I dint think I slept well at all. Some damage to lightweight tiles and also to ridges on local mansard roofs, some lead flashings have lifted but not as much water about as I expected. Some blustery light showers now. Blue sky is nice to see though.

Posted

WOAH huge gusts now a violent squall line!

Yes, I wonder whether there could be a sting in the tail of this low, with squally showers. :)

Posted

Part of a house in Cambridgeshire has collapsed due to the wind (BBC News)

Latest from those earlier reports of a suspected house collapse in Cambridgeshire in the early hours of the morning - fire crews have confirmed the building, on East Park Street, Chatteris, was in fact a brick outhouse. No-one was injured in the incident.http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/uk-weather-live-updates-terror-3143744#ixzz2tOBDCW7zFollow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook