Sign in to follow this  
March Blizzard

Religion - is it actively under attack?

You are on the record in the other thread as saying that you observed two men showing intimacy to each other at a restaurant some time ago, and you intervened to stop them, and found it funny that your physical size may have threatened them into submission.

Christians are supposedly not  hypocrites so you fail right there.

When two men are kissing in front of my children I then take offence as that then goes against what I teach my children, I certainly didn't find it funny as I was merely making fun of my own physical stature and how I can look intimidating to others, anyone who knows me would have me down a gentle giant.

I've never shown anything but tolerance towards others

Including of course those who believe in AGW. Remind to make myself scarce when you are being intolerant. Posted Image

For now but it increased by 10% between 2001 and 2011.

Britain is casting off the shackles of religion.

37% of people in the UK believe in 'God', 33% believe in some sort of spiritual/life force, while 25% don't believe in any gods or spiritual/life forces, so if atheism is merely the lack of belief in deities (as opposed to 'spiritual/life forces), atheists are not in the minority - not anymore at least. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_atheism#Europe)

As for the opening post - there is no reason why religion cannot exist in increasingly secular societies. People have the freedom to believe whatever they want. Secularism is just the separation of religion and state, and the Church of England remains influential in English politics, even if the wider public are turning their back on religion and belief in deities, so I'm not even sure secularism is taking place as such.

Edited by cheese

Including of course those who believe in AGW. Remind to make myself scarce when you are being intolerant. Posted Image

Lol, of course with climate scientist I do as I feel they overestimated the role of greenhouse gases, thats all and I'm certainly not anti science  knocker

So? If it seems science can't provide an answer, scientists continue on working until they find it. If it turns out that science cannot provide an answer, then that's just the way it is. You don't import a god into the equation.

But what I think you're really saying, SI, is that you hope science can only take us so far with the 'how we are here' problem.  Means you can keep that crutch of religion by your side.

As for 'why' we are here... go to bed.

Weird post, but of course I don't hope that as I'm an inquisitive person by nature and for me that would be an astounding find. I've got to have my tea and biscuits before bed and it's a little early for them just now.Posted Image

I've never shown anything but tolerance towards others

When two men are kissing in front of my children I then take offence as that then goes against what I teach my children

So, er. you don't show anything but tolerance towards others .....I don't see why blokes have to kiss one another. But then I dont see why women do either. Or men and women. But I wouldn't take offence at them doing so.

So, er. you don't show anything but tolerance towards others .....I don't see why blokes have to kiss one another. But then I dont see why women do either. Or men and women. But I wouldn't take offence at them doing so.

You miss the point as tolerance works both ways, why should I find it acceptable for two men to kiss in front of my 11 year old daughter. I would also stand up to any being racist in public as well in front of my daughter, of course the liberals will find this acceptable  whereas I stand up for what I believe in period.

I'm just surprised that in this day and age anybody teaches their children that being gay is not OK.

It's people instilling that kind of value that results in the kind of horrific discrimination that means that gay people are way more than twice as likely to experience crime, tend to have worse mental health on average, and various other shocking statistics that I'd mention if I wasn't then about to be told to waste my time proving it to people who are unlikely to change their minds anyway.http://www.galop.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/The-Hate-Crime-Report-2013.pdf

... also, if I say too much about it it'll derail the thread into the territory that closed the one on marriage.

Edited by crimsone

When two men are kissing in front of my children I then take offence as that then goes against what I teach my children, I certainly didn't find it funny as I was merely making fun of my own physical stature and how I can look intimidating to others, anyone who knows me would have me down a gentle giant.

This post is so sad. If you are teaching your children that homosexuality is wrong then that's sick.

You miss the point as tolerance works both ways, why should I find it acceptable for two men to kiss in front of my 11 year old daughter. I would also stand up to any being racist in public as well in front of my daughter, of course the liberals will find this acceptable  whereas I stand up for what I believe in period.

The contradiction in this post is astonishing! You find racism unacceptable, but homophobia is fine and encouraged in your book?! Good grief. 

Edited by Nick L

Can this get back on topic, or does it have to be closed, too?

Apologies, I just couldn't let such blatant displays of bigotry slip by. Yes, let's try and get this back on topic :)

I thought about it and to be quite frank I don't buy religion, it appears to me to be man made even if loosely based on some historical events. The one thing we know about man is how manipulative he is and how dishonest he is when it comes to gaining power.

There can be no doubt that religion has been responsible for more death and suffering then any other single thing in human history.

As John Lennon sang:

Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace...

There may well be a god but he/she has very little to do with human religion. Science continues to challenge religious theories and change some very ancient thinking. Its now fairly certain life exists outside our planet which goes against many religious beliefs. To me the ancient alien theory seems much more plausible as a explanation for many texts.

In answer to the thread title, 'it needs to be' 

What's wrong with 2 people kisisng in public? Personally I'd rather they did it in private, but it's always been something which society seems to tolerate. Have you ever kissed your wife in public? It's the same thing .....

Oh Richard D you were so right.

“Faith can be very very dangerous, and deliberately to implant it into the vulnerable mind of an innocent child is a grievous wrong.â€

This post is so sad. If you are teaching your children that homosexuality is wrong then that's sick.

The contradiction in this post is astonishing! You find racism unacceptable, but homophobia is fine and encouraged in your book?! Good grief. 

Excuse me, that's your opinion and your calling my parenting skills which I can assure you are just as good as the next persons. How would you like it if I was to question your parents attitude to life and how they brought you up. No you wouldn't would you, this is why this country is in the state it's in with liberal attitudes which only condones those who think like them and then venomously attacks anyone who doesn't. 

What's wrong with 2 people kisisng in public? Personally I'd rather they did it in private, but it's always been something which society seems to tolerate. Have you ever kissed your wife in public? It's the same thing .....

Indeed I have and your point is invalid as you wouldn't have to explain to a child why a man and a woman are kissing.

Apologies, I just couldn't let such blatant displays of bigotry slip by. Yes, let's try and get this back on topic Posted Image

I find all of your post border on bigotry, as in unable to accept those who hold different views to yourself. 

Oh Richard D you were so right.

“Faith can be very very dangerous, and deliberately to implant it into the vulnerable mind of an innocent child is a grievous wrong.â€

As can any parents views on life can be, so your point is irrelevant knocker as one parents strong held belief is another's one to mock. Also can I add where I've I said hateful things about gay people, just because I don't approve doesn't make me hateful, or is it more a case of many on here having liberal attitudes and finding those who don't right wing bigots. The mind boggles because I've gone to great lengths stating I only disapprove, would you or anyone else not stand and fight for what you think is morally right?

Indeed I have and your point is invalid as you wouldn't have to explain to a child why a man and a woman are kissing.

If this wasn't so ridiculous it would be laughable. People tend to kiss because they love each other - regardless of their sex. Most people wouldn't find that particularly tricky to explain. 

If this wasn't so ridiculous it would be laughable. People tend to kiss because they love each other - regardless of their sex. Most people wouldn't find that particularly tricky to explain. 

I do and obviously you can't accept my viewpoint as much as I except yours. I will continue to express my views on any subject on this matter, call me a bigot or any other name you like  but I won't let you or anyone else shout me down. 

Unless their bigoted parents taught them otherwise.  

*because they were wearing the wrong coloured football top

*because they were a woman and not wearing a veil

*because they were a woman kissing a woman

*because they were a person with disabilities who shouldn't have a child

*because they were eating bacon

*because they were a female vicar

*because they were a single parent

*because they were an inter-racial straight couple

* delete depending on your own ignorance and insecurities or what some book published by a group of people who'd just discovered recording the folklore of their time in printed form two thousands years ago thought was right and still offers comfort to those whose life 'could have been so much more' if they'd bothered to apply themselves and are now embittered before they die anyway...

Unless their bigoted parents taught them otherwise.  

*because they were wearing the wrong coloured football top

*because they were a woman and not wearing a veil

*because they were a woman kissing a woman

*because they were a person with disabilities who shouldn't have a child

*because they were eating bacon

*because they were a female vicar

*because they were a single parent

*because they were an inter-racial straight couple

* delete depending on your own ignorance and insecurities or what some book published by a group of people who'd just discovered recording the folklore of their time in printed form two thousands years ago thought was right and still offers comfort to those whose life 'could have been so much more' if they'd bothered to apply themselves and are now embittered before they die anyway...

Actually the old testament predates that shugee.

Did it really?!  Well good luck to those that believe such claptrap.  Keep it to yourselves and stop trying to impose such nonsense on others trying to get on with their own lives in an inclusive community and rejoice in your salvation from your God and meanwhile enjoy being embittered until you die.

The mythology originates in the Yemen in the Bronze Age, but the first attempt to write it down in any organised form dates to just over 2,000 years ago.