Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion 13th Feb onwards

Paul

Posted

Looks like it wants to send the high slightly eastwards, potentially northwards, too. Wouldn't it be typical if we got a solid Scandi high when there is almost no residual cold air left over Europe to export over here.

Nooooo

If anything ruins a spring in the East it's Easterly or North Easterly winds.

Warm enough to give us horrible misty or cloudy days

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

don't  look deep fantasy world Atlantic  gearing up  late march  20th  onwards http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?mode=2&ech=204

I did look but I'm more interested in getting the high building in first and seeing how long it could last.
  • Like 1

Posted

My thoughts over the past few days have been for a settled mild period giving way to a flow from the north as heights are forced west accompanied  by scandi trough formation, and the models today are certainly hinting at such development as we move into the middle part of the month. The key is the ridging of heights north over the country and elongating in a west-east position enabling trough formation to the NE.

In the reliable timeframe a very pleasant spell of weather away from the far NW but it will take until Monday for much of the northern half of the country to join in.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

My thoughts over the past few days have been for a settled mild period giving way to a flow from the north as heights are forced west accompanied  by scandi trough formation, and the models today are certainly hinting at such development as we move into the middle part of the month. The key is the ridging of heights north over the country and elongating in a west-east position enabling trough formation to the NE.

In the reliable timeframe a very pleasant spell of weather away from the far NW but it will take until Monday for much of the northern half of the country to join in.

I think you may be correct in your thoughts. N Atlantic blocking/Scandi troughing seems the logical evolution towards mid month.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and Snow

As much as I like cold and snow, I think it's strutching at straws to say it will turn 'cold' during the end of March when it's the 5th of March. The cold in FI never materialised all winter.

Edited by Barry95
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

As much as I lie cold and snow, I think it's strutching at straws to say it will turn 'cold' during the end of March when it's the 5th of March. The cold in FI never materialised all winters.

A N/NE'ly flow in March/April is more than capable of producing snow showers if the source is cold enough. In fact, some of the cloud structures that such a flow can produce are very picturesque.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Hmm these retrogression signals very often get toned down by quite a margin, usually to simply transferring core surface heights from the UK/East of UK to somewhere close to Ireland and bring cooler cloudier weather into the east... saw this too many times last summer. Any big movements tend to appear at close range. At the moment I'm happy to enjoy a week or so of pleasant sunny weather with heights close to the UK.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Looks like a solid week of settled weather, perhaps longer in the south, then after that we look to be seeing a changed to a more mixed and average setup with heights to the south west occasionally ridging towards the UK between more unsettled periods of weather.

The high looks to be well positioned with a light south easterly flow for the south and south westerly for the north, looks like there could be plenty of sunny days to come as we never really pick up a flow which can bring plenty of cloud in off the sea.

• Like 7

Looks like a solid week of settled weather, perhaps longer in the south, then after that we look to be seeing a changed to a more mixed and average setup with heights to the south west occasionally ridging towards the UK between more unsettled periods of weather.

The high looks to be well positioned with a light south easterly flow for the south and south westerly for the north, looks like there could be plenty of sunny days to come as we never really pick up a flow which can bring plenty of cloud in off the sea.

Captain, 

You recon after the warm weather we could pick up any snowy weather or we looking at a return to average conditions with wet and windy weather?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Another superb run from GEM this morning as it continues to live up to its name in producing a gem of a run again with no sign what so ever of a mid month breakdown

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

UKMO remains settled

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

ECM and GFS remain settled till around mid month before a gradual breakdown of the high allowing more unsettled weather to gradually return from the north

After a 14 week wait high pressure is going to dominate our weather rather than low pressure the long long wait is almost over

Posted Image

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow

Looks like a nice warmish and dry period in store

Posted Image

Indications of a drift towards average temps and rather more unsettled conditions as the month moves on.

Broadly similar farther north apart from the precipation spike in the next days.

Posted Image

ECM concurs with the mean @ 144hrs

Posted Image

trending more zonal @ 249hrs

Posted Image

Nothing dire so pleasantly Spring like for most with a few cool / cold nights possible. Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

All signals from the GFS pressure ensembles continue to point to pressure falling from the 15th across the UK

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Posted

Massive dip in the 850's on the GFS Ensembles from Mid Month , many reaching the -10 line again, Remember Northerly's and Easterly's are more common in March / April , so a chance of some late Snow may still be a possibility this year . 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Ensembles suggest no real chance of a breakdown until the 15th-17th but as the GEM shows that is by no means guaranteed and could be pushed back. I'm very interested to see how high we can push the CET.

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

Ensembles suggest no real chance of a breakdown until the 15th-17th but as the GEM shows that is by no means guaranteed and could be pushed back. I'm very interested to see how high we can push the CET.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The GEM has really taken to this high pressure thing, hasn't it?! It was being praised a while ago for showing a trough-dominated pattern continuing but since it realized this was wrong it's really gone for it. 

this is how it thought sunday was going to pan out:

Posted Image

it's fair to say it's backed away from that now. So, i don't think i'll be buying it's high pressure domination idea now either. GFS and ECM both have a more unsettled outlook in the longer term and that's certainly the way the met office are headed so i think i'll be going with that.

Massive dip in the 850's on the GFS Ensembles from Mid Month , many reaching the -10 line again, Remember Northerly's and Easterly's are more common in March / April , so a chance of some late Snow may still be a possibility this year . 

Spring snow is a possibility every year. No reason why this would be any different - that would be fairly typical. To my mind the ridge next week has got to go somewhere and providing it doesn't just sink into Europe it will always open up the possibility of something more unsettled and colder or even properly cold. 

Mind you, i'd be happy if it hung around until October now. 

• Like 2

Posted

t96 unavailable at the time of posting but t120 and t144 from UKMO remain settled with high pressure dominating

Posted ImagePosted Image

GFS remains very settled till mid month before things gradually turn more unsettled and potentially cooler

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

After this things gradually turn unsettled and cooler

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

Chilly and potentially wintry FI for 12z GFS, more especially for the North.

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Scary how much this is reminding me of 2012. We saw the high slip away West and the jet drive round from the North and dig down. We all know what followed on from then... 

Posted
Posted (edited) · Hidden by WINTRY WALES, March 6, 2014 - No reason given
Hidden by WINTRY WALES, March 6, 2014 - No reason given

Scary how much this is reminding me of 2012. We saw the high slip away West and the jet drive round from the North and dig down. We all know what followed on from then...Ummmm it rained????

Edited by WINTRY WALES