Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion 13th Feb onwards

Paul

Posted

Canadian ensembles still reluctant tonight to concur with ecm/gefs. So the rise in pressure is not as substantive, keeping a more nw/se split by days 6-10.

Posted Image

gem ens t192 12z

Edited by draztik

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

It looks like a typical north west south east split is the form horse with high pressure expanding and intensifying across most of mainland europe but lower heights to the north west of the uk persisting, that will put the nw of the uk in a strong sw'ly airflow with progressively milder air from the azores but further to the south east it is likely that a continental outflow with drier air and more sunshine will be on the way as the anticyclonic influence grows and grows beyond the next 5-7 days or so.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

It looks like a typical north west south east split is the form horse with high pressure expanding and intensifying across most of mainland europe but lower heights to the north west of the uk persisting, that will put the nw of the uk in a strong sw'ly airflow with progressively milder air from the azores but further to the south east it is likely that a continental outflow with drier air and more sunshine will be on the way as the anticyclonic influence grows and grows beyond the next 5-7 days or so.

Yes agree with that Frosty.

By day 5 some early Spring warmth starting to show for southern and central areas with the high teens quite possible by later next week.

A developing trend to raise heights right across the continent pushing the jet stream further and further north in the days ahead shown here in the day  means

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Reem1921.gif

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rz500m8.gif

the Atlantic systems still affecting the far nw at times as you say with rain up there off and on.

A very promising outlook by later next week for many though and every chance of a number of consecutive dry days many parts of England and Wales from mid-week.

• Like 6

Posted

What is strange is that when high pressure is forecast at say 10 days ahead confidence is much higher. If we had cold forecast in 10 days it's classed as FI, however we can pretty much guarantee a euro high next week...

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

What is strange is that when high pressure is forecast at say 10 days ahead confidence is much higher. If we had cold forecast in 10 days it's classed as FI, however we can pretty much guarantee a euro high next week...

It's modeled much closer than 10 days ahead Ali and in fairness mean outputs have been showing this trend for a few days always around 5-6th March.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

18z more in tune with ECWMF.

Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather...heavy snow and heat waves

I think its time to put my anticyclonic hat on and welcome spring instead of chasing wintry shadows like I have for the last three months..and hopefully this spring will deliver some warm and settled spells which will take us into a good summer.

Each to their own I suppose, I for one would much rather a repeat of march 2013. Remember it is more likely to snow at Easter than Christmas and March 2012 was followed by the one of the wettest summers on record. March 2013 was followed by a lovely long, warm summer. I know which one I would choose to repeat,take your pick. so I will be checking posters who are still interested and searching for wintry potential in the charts.
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

The charts this morning are still showing a much more settled/warmer and dryer outlook after mid-week, it will feel very pleasant especially from the Midlands South. Goodbye Atlantic !

GFS.                                                                                                                                                                                                          

Posted ImagePosted Image

ECM

Posted Image

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 5

Posted

What comes into my mind is that, for now at least, we seem to be in a pattern of longer cycles of weather type, weeks or months rather than days at a time. If this is so, perhaps the pendulum will swing the complete opposite way.

Completely agree with that statement OMM, and certainly stands out over the past few years.

• Like 3

Posted

So how persistant will this height rise prove to be? At the moment, it apprears that the initial pressure rise drifts to our east and is replaced with another one pushing ne over the top of a shallow ciut off low drifting southeast. whilst looking a reasonably comfortable evolution with decent x model support over several runs, i would urge a modicom of caution in the 8/12 day period. Around a third of the gefs at day 10 are showing a more developed circulation close to or over part of the uk. It wouldnt be too much of a surprise to see this gap between the anticyclones filled with a more notable trough, rather than a straightforward replacement of the ridge via reinforcement from the azores. Just an observation, but the number of ecm members on yesterdays 12z run that brought sig precip to london post day 8 was notable by their increase on previous suites.

Posted

But can we infer a trend from the past few years?

It's certainly something to take into consideration, but not in isolation.

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted

Goodbye Atlantic? Well, it would appear we are headed for something more Spring like. But the Canadian model is the fly in the ointment for me this morning, as it was last night. Its op and to some extent its ens, thru days 5-10 keep the Atlantic present, affecting a lot of the country - while the other models show a more substantive ridge by this period. So as ever time will tell.

• Like 2

Posted

But can we infer a trend from the past few years?

In terms of records being broken, that by itself suggests longer cycles of change for that to even happen, such as this winter and another example, the extreme cold of December 2010.This is why I think we can learn much from these long patterns when it comes to model output. Maybe other factors can be brought into model development, ones that were either previously unknown or not given enough emphasis, who knows!But certainly in my experience, I have never seen so many extremes in such a relatively short space of time as has happened in recent years.
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

The ECM ensemble at day 9 and 10 shows the high starting to dominate after a slight wobble at day 7 & 8

The first rise in pressure arrives for Thursday though the further north you are the more unsettled it will be especially in Scotland and possibly NI at times

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

D 7 & 8 sees a wobble with the high becoming confined to the far south and eventually slipping away

Posted ImagePosted Image

But its soon back

Posted ImagePosted Image

Longer term rainfall charts show things becoming very dry

Posted Image

• Like 4

Posted

Fwiw, the ECM London ens are not showing the possible renewed trough in the 8/12 day period with less than a 10% chance.Maybe we can go from the wettest winter to the driest spring!

Edited by phil nw.
First sentence removed because origional post was deleted.
  • Like 5

Posted

BBC weather for the week ahead has just say it will feel "very warm" this weekend where we get some sunshine

So it would appear the models were onto something after all

Posted Image

• Like 5

Posted

GFS6z looks a bit weird really while the ECWMF goes with the ensembles.

That being said it would likely produce the better part of 2 weeks without rainfall..

Posted Image

• Like 4

Posted

UKMO showing the high building nicely over in Europe next Saturday and extending over to the UK the only place to miss out on the settled weather looks to be the north and west of Scotland else where it should turn very mild and even warm when your in any sunshine

Posted ImagePosted Image

GFS at t144

Posted Image

And further on high pressure dominates only breaking down at t384

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 4

Posted

UKMO showing the high building nicely over in Europe next Saturday and extending over to the UK the only place to miss out on the settled weather looks to be the north and west of Scotland else where it should turn very mild and even warm when your in any sunshine

GFS at t144

And further on high pressure dominates only breaking down at t384

Posted Image

I wish the Gem would come on side, It is still insisting this settled spell isn't done and dusted 

Posted Image

Posted

Oh golly, those day 12 and day 13 charts are something.