Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion 13th Feb onwards

Paul

Posted

from Met Office at midnight

Trend for Days 10-15
: A trend away from an increased incidence of anticyclonic outcomes continues, with an increased signal of deep lows crossing the N of the UK through the period. 

....despite the GFS's best efforts in the shorter term! Quite incredible really the longevity of this pattern. Is this the longest "westerly" outbreak ever recorded?! So we are now looking at mid march before any real change comes about? Hopefully the emphasis will remain on a more "traditional" zonal pattern though, from an IMBY perspective I don't want to see that gradually eroded away.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow,snow!! Ooh and sunny,warm days!!!

Looks like wind and rain again if US are getting this again?? Is that right?

http://news.sky.com/story/1217404/us-set-to-shiver-as-polar-vortex-bites-again

• Like 1

Posted

Morning all :)

A rare chance for me to comment on the model output this morning.

GFS 06Z is rolling out as I type but the 00Z is about as uninspiring as it gets if you want weather outside the norm.

ECM 00Z offers an anticyclonic solution at T+240 with an HP over Denmark and what would be, I ssuspect, pleasant enough daytime conditions though with colder nights. GFS notes the emergence of a Eurasian HP but doesn't bring it close enough to western Europe to influence the weather.

GEM is on the other hand much more disturbed (as it seems to have been throughout the winter) with a return to Jan/early Feb type charts with powerful LP systems moving across the UK.

UKMO isn't that interested in a pressure build from the Azores either in the short-term and directs the flow NW-SE which wouldn't be that mild either.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

Looks like wind and rain again if US are getting this again?? Is that right? http://news.sky.com/story/1217404/us-set-to-shiver-as-polar-vortex-bites-again

That truly is incredible , at least somewhere has a snowy winter. Now all we need next winter is that eastern pacific ridge to set up shop in the mid Atlantic and be as dominating there as it has over there!! To be fair we was due a mild one , glad it's out the way now. Next year will be better , -QBO , past solar max . . . We need a good build up of Eurasian snow cover through October to push west this time !
  • Like 8

Posted

The positive signals from the 0z ecm suite continue, with more substantive ridging indicated esp days 10-15, following on from yesterdays 12z.

by day 13, the msl mean shows the uk under influence of hp, with lows up and around Greenland - great news if this continues to be shown. (In contrast with the latest MetO analysis into days 10-15)

Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

ECWMF0z knows how to please a man..

Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted

The positive signals from the 0z ecm suite continue, with more substantive ridging indicated esp days 10-15, following on from yesterdays 12z.

by day 13, the msl mean shows the uk under influence of hp, with lows up and around Greenland - great news if this continues to be shown. (In contrast with the latest MetO analysis into days 10-15)

Posted Image

It is of course only one model so judging by the post from Jo earlier Exeter, having weighed up the different models, are tending the way that Jo suggests. It will be interesting to see if their output changes based on this.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, snow and more snow

That truly is incredible , at least somewhere has a snowy winter. Now all we need next winter is that eastern pacific ridge to set up shop in the mid Atlantic and be as dominating there as it has over there!! To be fair we was due a mild one , glad it's out the way now. Next year will be better , -QBO , past solar max . . . We need a good build up of Eurasian snow cover through October to push west this time !

i remember reading in early winter 2013 that there was a good an early build up of Eurasian snow cover last year so not sure this would make any difference to us to be honest.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

Yellow warning for snow on the met office for Friday morning for a large part of central and west UK....ive not seen anything in the todays output to suggest this. maybe some of us will see some snow after all on the last day of winter....if it does happen it will be only the 3rd snow falling day of the winter here in my part of the peak district this winter...lets hope March can provide some more fun as it did in 2013...

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Yellow warning for snow on the met office for Friday morning for a large part of central and west UK....ive not seen anything in the todays output to suggest this. maybe some of us will see some snow after all on the last day of winter....if it does happen it will be only the 3rd snow falling day of the winter here in my part of the peak district this winter...lets hope March can provide some more fun as it did in 2013...

I think you should try reading a page or two back but be careful because there are differing views on it all.

This for example, http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/79434-model-output-discussion-13th-feb-onwards/?p=2938595 and then this, http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/79434-model-output-discussion-13th-feb-onwards/?p=2938678 but there are others. Posted Image

I think the excitement isn't there to that high a degree as it will likely be a transient event but given how the Winter has gone, snow is still snow for me, should I get to see some. Posted Image

Edited by gottolovethisweather
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

i remember reading in early winter 2013 that there was a good an early build up of Eurasian snow cover last year so not sure this would make any difference to us to be honest.

Very early build was good in September , but it grinded to a holt in October and never moved westwards at all. Good Eurasian snow cover is a proven aid to our winter cold chances
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snow, hurricanes

my first post as cotswoldsnow having moved from london after 24 years (i was londonsnow then). having scrutinised the models it's no catwalk out there for friday especially. where this blighter goes is still guesswork and another forecasting nightmare both in terms of track and timing but the beeb have admitted all this so we'll see. cheers cs

• Like 4

Posted

Ukmo still looking promising for snow friday morning across wales and the midlands in particular!!!-4 uppers and heavy precipitation in a very slack flow and also the time of day that it happens is a huge advantage!!!

• Like 1

Posted

As usual let's rule out yorkshire and just have midlands

actually mate that band of precipitation could swerve further north into yorkshire later on friday so your not completely out if yet!!!lets see how it all pans out!!

Posted

As usual let's rule out yorkshire and just have midlands

UKMO is certainly looking good for some areas on Friday 

there is a yellow warning out for all of yorkshire from MO on there website! 

but GFS isnt showing snow for friday at all so who knows what will happen 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

UKMO is certainly looking good for some areas on Friday there is a yellow warning out for all of yorkshire from MO on there website! but GFS isnt showing snow for friday at all so who knows what will happen

If GFS shows a no snow event its nailed on for it to snow..well that's if it works the opposite to when it shows snowmaggedon. Edited by winterof79
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Ignoring Fridays Snowcast which has a big problem. No rainfall shown for us the Midlands may have a surprise though. Without precipitation it can't snow. Saturday looks more interesting as the low loops back as does  Sunday at times. Both worth keeping an eye on. Well spring may give us more Snow than the entire Winter combined oh how ironic. We need to watch that Low though where it goes is the key.

• Like 5

Posted

Afternoon all :)

Have to say the GFS 12Z Operational output looks much less settled than this morning's which might tie in with Tamara's comments.  This hardly screams settled to me;

http://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfs/runs/2014022612/gfs-0-192.png?12

Still a lot of very cold air over NE Canada even at this stage:

http://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfs/runs/2014022612/gfsnh-13-348.png?12

GEM also stays very unsettled - the 528DAM line moves up and down the British Isles but never too far away.

I really thought this would be the coldest week of the winter - it now seems we may be looking at mid-March at the earliest for any kind of break. Again, Tamara's thought on the denouement of this protracted spell are of interest and the possibility of a cooler and wetter summer than many of us on here would want isn't one we can affords to dismiss. It wouldn't be the biggest surprise to see April and May dominated by northern blocking but that's an observation for elsewhere.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

We seem to be heading back towards low pressure pushing straight through the UK with the ECM now lining another one up

Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Non of the big 3 have nailed down the exact positioning of the low on Friday even at this late stage hence the uncertainty expressed on the TV forecasts from the beeb

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Beyond Friday ECM lines up another deep low in a weeks time

Posted Image

Edited by Summer Sun