Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion 13th Feb onwards

Paul

Posted

Continued signs of a pattern change of sorts as we move into March - all thanks to a more amplified flow over the atlantic, something we haven't seen once all winter.

Winter will end on the same tune  with the atlantic dominating and a westerly flow bringing further wind and rain with temperatures slightly above normal in the south, nearer average further north. Come the end of the month - well we have low pressure tracking SE and look pressure rising behind and to the NW which is a significant change to what has happened all winter. Thus next weekend looks like being quite chilly with a northwesterly flow pushing in some wintry showers to the north and east and a good chance of a widespread air frost - again something we haven't seen much of all winter.

As we move into March proper - there are signals of heights to the SW becoming quite a key player, hopefully drying things out in the south as they ridge NE from time to time, but the north will still be under the influence of lower heights to the NW and these on occasion could muscle in on any azores high ridge development forcing it back west and pulling in cooler northwesterlies - just as we look like seeing next weekend.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

No UKMO today? fax updated but ukmo still on yesterdays 12Z, may tell me at top but cannot speak french

Posted

No UKMO today? fax updated but ukmo still on yesterdays 12Z, may tell me at top but cannot speak french

The UKMO must have taken the day off! The 12z ECMWF is also late for whatever reason.

Karyo

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

They probably re-checking the data as it's shown spring has also been skipped and we're now having summer this coming weekend. Not even updated in GFS extra so there's a data problem somewhere.

Posted

The UKMO must have taken the day off! The 12z ECMWF is also late for whatever reason.

Karyo

let's be honest is anyone really bothered that the ECM hasn't come out yet, the charts will just be showing mundane synoptics anyway

Posted
  • Location: Currently Southminster, Essex (but original home town Northampton)
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow/Blizzards in Winter, Cool Summers. (I'm allergic to heat)!

You can view todays ECM 12Z here. Just updating now... out to 120h

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/topkarten/fsecmeur.html

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

let's be honest is anyone really bothered that the ECM hasn't come out yet, the charts will just be showing mundane synoptics anyway

Yeah, true, main model out GFS

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow/Blizzards in Winter, Cool Summers. (I'm allergic to heat)!

Yeah, true, main model out GFS

Why is the GFS the 'main model'?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

ECM T168

Posted Image

Low pressure should go south east through the UK

• Like 1

Posted

Funny performance in recent days at day five GFS the top with ECM yet on day six a distant third. 24 hours making such a difference.....

Posted

Thank you!

It is thankfully better than I expected (i.e. chillier than the 0z).

Karyo

Yep, looks like the ECM 12Z has ditched its earlier idea of High Pressure.

Not really a surprise as High Pressure now a days is as rare as rocking horse s***

Edited by SE Blizzards
  • Like 1

Posted

Ecm 12Z ends with cool NW winds Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by SE Blizzards
  • Like 5

Posted

Ecm 12Z ends with cool NW winds Posted Image

Posted Image

Yes you could almost be mistaken for thinking a Cold outbreak is round the corner .. Will check the CFS in a minute to see what it thinks ... Hope this doesn't turn into Euro's V GFS as IMO Euro's look much better from a Cold point of view. Maybe we can still squeeze 1 more wide spread Snow chance out of this Winter , it is just about possible under the right conditions. 

• Like 3

Posted

I like how the Azores High stays out in the Atlantic and helps those northwesterlies come in from time to time.

The Atlantic SSTs are at their lowest in March so less moderation than say in December.

Karyo

Posted

Nice ECM tonight. UKMO not too bad either. JMA is a beauty. Should ensure the skiing season gets another boost

• Like 3

Posted

Not surprised to see ECM op ditch the Azores ridge in fi re the the earlier ens spreads. Would also be unsurprised to see it back on the next op run.

Meteociel charts earlier had me thinking how incredibly consistent the runs were!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

The output  tonight from ecm and gfs show in sorts at this unreliable time frame [T+249] of some very cold zonal weather. Perhaps March will deliver the Late Winter goods, and give us snow starved folk at least a sight of a snowflakePosted Image Posted Image Posted Image

post-6830-0-29253900-1393184667_thumb.pn

post-6830-0-62211500-1393184694_thumb.pn

• Like 6

Posted

Will check the CFS in a minute to see what it thinks

The chocolate fireguard (aka CFS) keeps banging the drum for a fairly cold March/April.

I seem to remember it doing likewise last year, and we all know what happened there.

Edited by SE Blizzards
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow

The output  tonight from ecm and gfs show in sorts at this unreliable time frame [T+249] of some very cold zonal weather. Perhaps March will deliver the Late Winter goods, and give us snow starved folk at least a sight of a snowflakePosted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Here's a nice snowflake

Posted Image

It's about the only one you're likely to see anytime soon. Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted

The chocolate fireguard (aka CFS) keeps banging the drum for a fairly cold March/April.

I seem to remember it doing likewise last year, and we all know what happened there.

Well have a good feeling about it , 3 months is plenty of time for PV domination , time for a change ... Would love to live in the Midlands over the next few weeks . 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Purga spreading the love as ever, have you not checked the latest outputs? The coming start to Spring is certainly looking a damn sight more wintry than the whole of the Winter season itself, furthermore the last dozen to two dozen posts (model related) confirm this to be the case. It still could be a chase of false hope but at least frosts look likely to return and that for me is something to be cheery about from a cold lover like myself and I believe your own good self, unless you have reverted to the other side. Posted Image

No more confusing posts please as at last we have something to chat about other than the potential for a recurring pattern that's been here during the vast part of the last three months. Posted Image

My thoughts from yesterday remain similar in spite of the updates since.

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/79434-model-output-discussion-13th-feb-onwards/?p=2937378

Many other posts within here also show similar opinions to my own so hopefully something's up and BBC Countryfile confirmed that veiw too.

Edited by gottolovethisweather
  • Like 9