Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Storms thread descended into farce, Scottish and welsh posters bashing the southerners for crying about a storm because nobody cares when they get one....(sigh) :-(Childish nonsense....moderators please tidy the site up!Sadly people are loosing their life this evening and property is being damaged, I thought NW forums were better that that?Stay safe all x

On the funny side of things, it was good to see the swear filter getting an extreme workout....never seen so much veg in one post....:D

• Like 4
  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi 80s weatherThink it's the windiest we have had this winter. I noticed last week the river was flooded there

Hi SD, too noisy to sleep lol. River was highest for years, but gone down pretty quick now though.

Nah that's it for Gatwick it's not a 24 hour airport.

Thank goodness lol. They do land most of the night. They also fly non passenger jets out during the night.Gusts here have eased right off. Almost quiet at times. Think I'll get some zeds.Stay safe.
  • Like 1

Things are nice and happy in the severe atlantic storms thread. NOT.After a brief period of lighter winds the roar outside has now returned. On the way to college this morning the small river/large stream near here was back down to its normal levels, 6 hours later and it had burst its banks after just 12mm of rain had fallen, which I've never seen happen in 8 years.  It shows that even a relatively small amount of rain is seriously bad right now.. 

The Met Office site at Heathrow is back up and working and the latest report from there ( midnight ) recording that mean wind speeds and gusts are still increasing. Mean wind speed is now 41mph, and the latest gust 63mph. 

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/observations/london-heathrow-airport-greater-london#?tab=last24hours&fcTime=1392336000

8 hours and counting here.

• Like 1

Not as bad here as it was. Still gusty but not as frequent nor as strong. Unless the direction has slightly changed which means it's not slamming straight into my home as it was. Might turn in as expected it was going to be worse around now.

JP if your still around what do you make of this chart.

http://meteocentre.com/analyses/map.php?lang=en&map=UK&area=eur&size=large

JP if your still around what do you make of this chart.

http://meteocentre.com/analyses/map.php?lang=en&map=UK&area=eur&size=large

if you look closely, you can make out a low pressure system covering the whole country.

From my perspective..this storm has similar behaviour to the St Judes storm. I remember that night in the early hours, stretches of high velocity winds that would then drop out completely for 15 - 30 mins into very calm periods before the next swathe would whip through. Warm almost muggy temperatures also similar. I guess this is a characteristic pattern for Cyclogenesis ?

Temperature 7.1°C
Humidity 85%
Dewpoint 4.8°C
Wind SSW
Barometer 975.2 hPa & Rising Rapidly

Interesting to see that pressure has begun to rise again, I didn't expect to see that for a few more hours yet.

All appears calm again here for the moment. No rain & just a steady 30 - 40 mph breeze Posted Image

• Like 1

hi alexis

saw the first one and looked like a split low

which looked odd

the new one looks correct

pressure 959 and edged slightly further north east

moving very slowly though

going to go now

got to work tomorrow but will have to be up early to see what mess is outside

goodnight all

• Like 3