Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

The direction the wind is coming from tonight means it's banging right on my windows. It's making some insane noises that I didn't even hear on the Christmas storm or October one. Can be a little unnerving.

Bins are littering the road now but no other damage visible.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well it's not calmed down here, in fact I would say it's getting worse - the last few minutes there has been a roar and a whoosh to the wind that I've never heard inland before...ever !

Same here plus a power dip ten minutes ago

• Like 1

Yamps, come on, don't be daft. Needles is a wild exposed place. We could all predict 100 mph during these type of storms and then say 'told you so' based on the Needles, the Scilly Iles, Lundy island, etc, whether there is extra 'energy' or not. It really doesn't help anyone, I think, to post such wild projections and then pick somewhere miles away from most on this and any other thread and then try to justify your forecast, particularly as you often back it up with apparent local council warnings/predictions. Surely you can see that some on here have been unnerved by predictions today? Even more reason to be balanced I would have thought?Winds have, just a touch, calmed down here in the last 30 mins though it is still quite livelyAS

AS, I do not always predict all wind gusts. The light house is not miles away from my projection. It is part of the storm system in the S/SE quadrant. Not trying to justify anything. The Council warnings/predictions come directly from me. 

Anyway, time for me to say bye for now and wish you all peace and blessings.

Take care everyone

Yamkin

• Like 2

loads of the Easyjet flights seem to be trying to land at Gatwick, failing then heading up to Liverpool. Feel sorry for the guys on board!

yes, last time that happened at Christmas they got told to make their own way home from Liverpool apparently!

109 MPH ALERT: Huge 109mph wind gust at Needles Lighthouse - Courtesy Of MetDesk

Posted Image14.02.14 Storm.png

Hi Yamkin. I had a feeling this would come back to haunt me !!

The Needles Lighthouse is hardly typical of the whole South East though is it ?.. and it has recorded gusts in excess of 100mph a number of times this winter so nothing out of the ordinary really. I grant you it's pretty damn windy tonight, but The Needles Lighthouse apart  ( it's not even in the South East ), I am struggling to see any reports of wind gusts much above 80mph even along the South East Coast, and 50-60mph further inland. That's more or less spot on with the Met Office forecast.

I'll be the first person to hold my hands up and admit I am wrong, but I think you are clutching at straws mate.Posted Image

• Like 2

loads of the Easyjet flights seem to be trying to land at Gatwick, failing then heading up to Liverpool. Feel sorry for the guys on board!

Liverpool ain't that bad surely.Posted Image

Christ getting wild now, things crashing about outside, and the wheelie bin F1 has startedPosted Image

Edited by 80sWeather

It's fantastic that the moon is bright and momentarily out then covered, then out again. Causing quite a fascinating light show in garden.

Great evening and winter of weather. Albeit I want people to stay safe.

• Like 3

Those saying it has peaked because it's calmed down where they are for maybe 10/15 minutes are, sadly, not right, as it is yet to reach it's peak, and here, the winds are actually increasing again.

Posted Image

Posted Image  90ft

• Like 1

57.6mph recorded at Reigate Grammar School. Slowly increasing.

Is that from their weather station as I can't see higher than 43mph, but it has got up again in the last few minutes.?Boy cat abandoned attempts to leave house and is now on the sofa with me and girl cat.
  • Like 1

It is onionse out there for garden panels right now, I had to get three of mine replaced last year and two posts fixed as well

Don't want to sound smug but my hedge is fine.

• Like 6

It's fantastic that the moon is bright and momentarily out then covered, then out again. Causing quite a fascinating light show in garden.Great evening and winter of weather. Albeit I want people to stay safe.

Thing is when the moon appears you see the damage, next time it pops out here i'll be minus another fence panel.

• Like 1