Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East England & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 13/02/14

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Wind, Rain, Sun.....but mainly cooler weather!

Morning all.

Bit windy here and beautiful sunshine.

OH's mother struggling to get to Redhill due to fallen trees. We have all utilities and it actually eased off here around 00:35hrs. For those saying about Gatwick flying at night; there are around 56 air movements every night, however the vast majority are landings and non passenger movements. At certain times we do get all night flying too. Sorry was a bit tired last night to explain fully. Also I have never been awoke by one so one of the lucky people.

Hope everyone is safe this morning.

• Like 3

Posted

Blue skies and sunshine here, but still quite gusty. I can't see any more trees down in the woods - maybe the sustained nature of the gale rather than sudden gusts means the trees stand a better chance. It's like the Vicar of Dibley's lounge after her chocolate binge in here this morning. Scattered around the room are empty (and less empty) bottles, cans, emergency lighting, several types of internet capable devices. Oh yeah. And me. Better clear up before Mrs stun gets up or it'll be CharltonKerryWorld for me.

• Like 4

Posted

Well in the end didn't quite match up until Christmas storm for wind speed but it certainly went on for longer! Shattered this morning, luckily it doesn't look like we have damage, just a few branches lying around the garden. Is that it now?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales/storms, snow, thunder!

Morning Knightrider I can assure you St Jude was worth the hype here; the strongest winds since 1987 that I can remember, 77mph recorded locally, albeit in a contained two hour spell. Last night's winds are like a weakly blown raspberry in comparison :) However, Jude was quite localised due to a narrow sting jet which blew West to East across Eastern counties north of London. Suffolk and North Essex were two of the worst hit.

It appears you and Steve C had it worse then me in St Jude then being near the Essex / East Anglian coast that's understandable I understand that's where the storm intensified as it passed out into the North Sea in Denmark it reached 120 mph now that would have been more like 1987 if not worse but as I'm in southern Essex just within Greater London the St Jude sting jet effect only lasted about 45 minutes max here and gusts didn't get above 60mph last night they did and lasted several hours and the same in October 2000 and 2002 which lasted longer and we had 80-90mph gusts so I'm guessing you've just chosen to forget those storms too? lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

On a lighter note, I popped into Tesco this morning for a shop and saw boxes of 12 creme eggs for £2, so thought I'd buy 4 boxes, for nieces and nephews for Easter. However Easter is still more than 2 months away and I always liked creme eggs...Posted Image

(struggling to make this post any sort of weather related.Posted Image )

Oooh....I can see where those eggs are going, Steve. Can I help??? :D Yum!

Mornin each. Well, that was a wild night and no mistake. I haven't looked back on this mornings posts yet, so hope everyone is all right. It's still very windy here with some quite strong gusts. All looks ok imby and the neighbours. All fences present and correct, Sah! :)

Have a good day, everyone. :)

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny; chilly and sunny; thunderstorms; extreme

Morning all

Hope everyone is OK

We have no damage here but that was the worst we have experienced this 'Winter'

The slightly dizzy Mrs FD, however, asked earlier if her washing was still on the line. Actually, no, it isn't.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Morning all, 

What a night that was and it's still blowing a hoolie now, opened the back door for the dogs to go out as they were waiting to get in the garden and before one paw crossed the door step there was a big gust and they both ran back in the kitchen and jumped into their beds - I think we have all had enough of this now !  No visible damage though so considering it was so wild I would say we have got off lightly here...hope everyone else from our forum has been as lucky - sad to see not everyone has though !

Here is the latest from TVP....

Flooding and weather update from Thames Valley Police

Saturday 15 February 2014, 8:39am

Thames Valley Police and its partner agencies will continue to work throughout the weekend to deal with the variety of issues being caused by the ongoing bad weather.

Overnight, over 400 calls reporting fallen trees were made to Thames Valley Police, which were passed to the Highways Agency to deal with. Of these calls, Berkshire was the worst hit, with over 165 reported, with just over 150 reports made in Oxfordshire and nearly 100 in Buckinghamshire.

ACC Richard Bennett said: “There remains an enormous amount of work ongoing across the Thames Valley to support communities who have been affected by flooding and this work will continue over the weekend and into next week.

“We have been liaising closely with the Highways Agency overnight to ensure reports of fallen trees are dealt with and cleared to try and ensure the least amount of disruption is caused to the road network.

“Fortunately, we have not had anyone seriously injured in the Thames Valley as a result of the adverse weather conditions, although a woman was taken to hospital in Mortimer last night with wrist injuries after a tree fell on her car. 

“We have officers continuing to run regular patrols in affected areas, checking on vulnerable people, offering reassurance, crime prevention advice and acting as a deterrent to crime. I would like to reassure local residents and the communities affected that we will continue to maintain a high level of dedicated flood relief resources.

“I would also like to take this opportunity to remind people of the dangers of flood water. With half term next week, flooded areas may appear an attractive playground to children, however as well as the risk of drowning, flooded water can also prove a health risk. Visit the Public Health website for more advice. Stay safe and remain cautious when undertaking journeys in affected areas, avoiding driving through flood water whenever possible.â€

I will be opening a new thread in a few minutes !

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: April!

It appears you and Steve C had it worse then me in St Jude then being near the Essex / East Anglian coast that's understandable I understand that's where the storm intensified as it passed out into the North Sea in Denmark it reached 120 mph now that would have been more like 1987 if not worse but as I'm in southern Essex just within Greater London the St Jude sting jet effect only lasted about 45 minutes max here and gusts didn't get above 60mph last night they did and lasted several hours and the same in October 2000 and 2002 which lasted longer and we had 80-90mph gusts so I'm guessing you've just chosen to forget those storms too? lol

I honestly can't remember those storms you mention so I am assuming that they didn't cause the damage that St Jude did around here! Maybe you got those ones worse than us here?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Just been for another drive. I can see an evergreen that was weakened by St Jude and further weakened over Xmas. It's still standing, just. It'd be a shame if it succumbed to the tail end of this storm - it's not going to damage anything.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales/storms, snow, thunder!

I honestly can't remember those storms you mention so I am assuming that they didn't cause the damage that St Jude did around here! Maybe you got those ones worse than us here?

Surely even if they didn't cause as much damage where you are you would still remember the horrendous noise they made? .. we coped it badly here anyway, offshore in the North Sea not far from you in the 2000 storm Hurricane force 12 was reported with mean speeds of over 80mph and a gust of 109mph so I'm amazed you don't remember that 1 at least!
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

Just peered out the spare room window and I have a new skyline Posted Image

The big tree out the back of me is no longer a big tree as it is now horizontal rather than vertical

(may explain the huge crash and bang I heard last night)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !