Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East England & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 13/02/14

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

Go fly it! What else was a Kite made for? A harness would be handy though, as any good kite flyer knows ;-)

No rain here for a few hours but still gusting frequently.

no rain but still gusting frequently, well that's perfect kite flying weather. I'm getting on my bike and cycling to the chiltern hills, see you soon.

Posted

no rain but still gusting frequently, well that's perfect kite flying weather. I'm getting on my bike and cycling to the chiltern hills, see you soon.

Temperature 7.6°C

Humidity 78%

Dewpoint 4.0°C

Wind W

Barometer 976.8 hPa & Rising Rapidly

Strong westerly winds.

Good luck peddling into that! Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

oops something just went bang not sure if it was front or back, needless to say was the biggest gust yet.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

Just had some crazy wind around here woke the whole house up, that was crazy its what i imagine a small tornado sounds like. The house is making some weird and worrying sounds. The front door makes this noise like someone is letting air out of a balloon, its quite humorous actually lol

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Yes it's started up again here too right now — huge sustained gusts lasting about 20 seconds.

Don't want to look up the wind speed, but from the sound of it, I'd say 65-70mph at least maybe higher. There are no trees in the way and it's just roaring across a couple of 10 acre fields, so it's pure wind noise not branches crashing against each other.

Thank goodness I can sleep in tomorrow and it's not my turn for the dog walk, but on the other hand, I can't wait for daylight to see the damage — there'll be a lot of trees down and hopefully that neighbour's poxy 60 ft wind turbine on the opposite hill will be no more — can't stand the thing.

Uh-oh… another one building up… this storm is a biggie and won't be forgotten  Posted Image

Edited by Iceni
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Wow has anyone seen this happen before?

The US snowstorm and this one are combining across the Atlantic… this is real Day After Tomorrow stuff.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2559856/London-New-York-storms-COMBINING-Meteorologists-say-two-storms-holding-hands-Atlantic.html

post-8078-0-47088500-1392440764_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Wow has anyone seen this happen before?The US snowstorm and this one are combining across the Atlantic… this is real Day After Tomorrow stuff.http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2559856/London-New-York-storms-COMBINING-Meteorologists-say-two-storms-holding-hands-Atlantic.html

No but to be honest I've never really looked that hard lol.

• Like 1

Posted

after a wild night now off to work  soon when i left last night the road was starting  to flood should be a interesting drive soon

Posted

Morning all

Still lively here but perhaps starting to calm down a bit. Smashed slate outside the French windows, not sure if it's from our roof or next door. One of our giant pots has blown over but the staked tree is still standing and the new fence is intact, so we got off pretty lightly really. Hope all are ok and similarly unscathed.

Just seen some extraordinary pictures of Newlyn on the BBC news

AS

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Morning all. :)

Loads of posts since I last properly looked, so will go through what I can.

Looking at some gust figures from official stations, reasonably close to me, I can see that likely wind gusts were in the mid sixties miles per hour overnight, so a reasonable windstorm here, although not spectacular.

I've just been on a twenty mile cross country drive, including a detour to the coast, which has quite a lot of trees beside it, to assess damage. There were a fair amount of snapped off twigs and small branches to be seen, but nothing larger. I could see a few mobile road signs which had been blown over too.

I was at my brother's house last night and couldn't really hear the wind there, which surprised me. He must have been sheltered. Before that, I was in Colchester until about 1:00 and it was very gusty.

No damage at home and the winds aren't all that strong now, so I'm hopefully unscathed.

I'd say this was number 3 in the wind strength table here, for this Autumn and Winter, with the late October storm in first place and the pre Christmas Eve storm in second. Unless I see something major, like a big tree felled, I'll have forgotten this one, in a few months. :)

• Like 1

Posted

well that was a good nights sleep..........not!

Woken up constantly by the huge gusts and then waiting for something to break outside. Glad to say no damage apart from a couple of branches down and the chicken run roof flapping about. Next doors greenhouse lost a few panels but we've come away from it relatively unscathed :-)

Still windy here with plenty of gusts but nothing like last night/early hours, blue sky at the moment aswell :-)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales/storms, snow, thunder!

Morning folks quick update still windy here but not as ferocious as during the night there seemed to be 2 peaks 1 was at around midnight where we had a gust of 63mph and something crashed over a couple of doors down I can't see any damage from my bedroom though so perhaps it was the other side of the house then the next wave of extreme wind came at about 3am and it woke me from a deep sleep as I had managed to doze off for a couple of hours during the calmer lull (my mistake) it scared the crap out of me my house was rumbling must have topped 70mph my estimate. Hope everyone stayed safe!

• Like 1