Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East England & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 13/02/14

Snowangel-MK

Posted

I'm drinking champagne and reading this forum Posted Image what time are things expected to peak? the wind has become pretty intense here. Just popped out to smoke and struggled to push the door open! Could someone direct me to a website where i can look at data for tonights winds? would really appreciate it thanks

here you go- http://www.xcweather.co.uk/GB/observations

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Storms and epic cold snowy winters

Tames Barrier will close for a record breaking 15th consecutive tide - any more records to break!?

Posted Image

Posted

Wind has now gone up to a Force 9 gusting 10. Very strong gusts now and far more frequent.

High tide isn't due for another 3 and a half hours yet but looking at the web cam is far higher up the beach than should be.

http://www.bognorregisbeach.co.uk/live

A good cam as it gives the sound as well as video.

Posted

Pretty irratic storm, is it going to be a damp squid  sorry squib

Lassie. Can you put your location in your profile please, it helps when making reports for people to know where they are coming from.Posted Image

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

I'm drinking champagne and reading this forum Posted Image what time are things expected to peak? the wind has become pretty intense here. Just popped out to smoke and struggled to push the door open! Could someone direct me to a website where i can look at data for tonights winds? would really appreciate it thanks

Peak gusts 9pm to midnight looking at models, though could start later than 9pm looking at observations which show strongest gusts still to transfer from the SW of England (or east of the Isle of Wight).

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms,Hot `n` sunny!

Fed,watered and listening to the wheelie big gp down my street!

..........and here`s a gif i made for us oldies. (AKA the mad thread gif). :D

Posted Image

Edited by anything-but
  • Like 4

Posted

A certain site on facebook told many of its followers to ignore Xc weather as they " xcweather uses low resolution model data btw so is not as accurate." is this correct?

well observations are accurate, as they are mostly taken from official weather stations and i've actually found their forecasts to be pretty accurate

Edited by bobbydog

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T/Storms, Snow, Extreme Rain, Anything out of the ordinary!

Me too ,I am trying to be patient but I'm reading so many reports of high gusts /torrential rain etc I'm starting to think the South Downs are sheltering me

Any gusts of note there yet? Brighton update live on BBC N24 looked lively enough!

Posted

hi tom

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

just went up to lombard roundabout near purley way

now its getting windy

JP, This is one hell of a crazy weather pattern. I know predictions are for a quieter period but for how long, So unpredictable. Ironic that the predicted last Winter storm so far is going out in style..News channels are all over it.

Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T/Storms, Snow, Extreme Rain, Anything out of the ordinary!

Had a gust of 20 mph in north london.............Posted Image

You must be sheltered, gusts really starting to pick up here in Braintree Edited by scotteboi

Posted

Well, I opened the front door and it is windy now, but if it was strong I'd have heard it anyway though the double glazing. How's it doing in Brighton?

Posted
  • Location: Upminster Bridge London Borough of Havering 40m above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: Siberian
  • Location: Upminster Bridge London Borough of Havering 40m above sea level

Fed,watered and listening to the wheelie big gp down my street!

..........and here`s a gif i made for us oldies. (AKA the mad thread gif). Posted Image

Posted Image

Nice link, I loved Roobarb as a kid!  Bob Godfrey who did that boiling style animation sadly died last year.  It was serendipitous that marker pens had just come out in 1973 when Grange Calvely first created the idealistic dog. And anything voiced by Richard Briers has me entranced anyway.

• Like 3

Posted

A certain site on facebook told many of its followers to ignore Xc weather as they " xcweather uses low resolution model data btw so is not as accurate." is this correct?

I don't know how correct that quote is but I personally have always found their data to be very slow in updating as it has always been far windier here than the XCweather site is showing for wind.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

hi tom

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

just went up to lombard roundabout near purley way

now its getting windy

Wind has really picked up, this side of Croydon, last 10 minutes or so.

Tom.

• Like 1

Posted

Same this side of the river, some of the worst conditions I have driven in for a while, that was some squall line - very heavy rain and very gusty - roads like rivers. Lots of accidents.

definitely, the road was like a river, makes you realise just how quickly things can get bad!

Posted

Peak gusts 9pm to midnight looking at models, though could start later than 9pm looking at observations which show strongest gusts still to transfer from the SW of England (or east of the Isle of Wight).

Nick, As a senior forecaster any thoughts on "pardon the pun" whether this is it for these storms or is this quieter spell a temporary lull. Must be a forecasters nightmare at the moment.

Wind has now gone up to a Force 9 gusting 10. Very strong gusts now and far more frequent.

High tide isn't due for another 3 and a half hours yet but looking at the web cam is far higher up the beach than should be.

http://www.bognorregisbeach.co.uk/live

A good cam as it gives the sound as well as video.

Yes having the sound up loud makes you feel as if you were there, and agree that water is really coming in fast.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme

it's hardly what I'd call a storm down here. 

What on earth is going on, looking at the pressure charts we should be experiencing MUCH stronger gusts than we have been experiencing thus far along the South Coast this side of the I.O.W

I think this has made landfall much later than was predicted, I'd estimate Maximum Gusts down here will be at about 3am, as opposed to midnight. 

Wind is slowly picking up with the occasional gust, Max 52 Mph so far, and that must have been a one off, because I can only just barely hear the wind out there, normally at 52 Gusts, its roaring !!

So I'm totally and utterly confused 

http://www.shorehambeachweather.co.uk/