Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East England & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 13/02/14

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales/storms, snow, thunder!

Wind picking up now and the dark cloud cover is starting to break up into more showery looking cloud with glimpses of blue sky in between maybe this is the hook/tail of the storm beginning to swing around next few hours we'll really start to feel things ramp up a gear wind wise I suspect.

This might sound weird, but just been outside and it is muggy out there

Not weird at all this LP system has come up from a mild warm location in the Azores.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

It was an expression mate. If you look at the trailing front from us to just off Portugal, the clouds are moving like the clappers!

lol, yep I seen that. Moving pretty quick.

• Like 1

Posted

Clouds are shooting across the sky very quickly which suggests that upper level winds are already increasing and that there are strong lower level to follow.

Posted

Yep been that way all day, probably some thunder storms after the main rain band, that's sort of how the air feels anyway.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

Well, that's me looking like a drowned rat. Went to look at flat, agent not there. Waited till three but had to go as me and the Nipper were soaked and she was not happy. Poor little soul. I've re scheduled anyway.

It is pouring down here and very gusty. Absolutely awful and not the kind of day for a nice stroll that's for sure. Goodness knows what the next few hours wil be like. :O

Posted

main rain band passed through now, some nasty looking squalls on the radar heading this way, wind picking up in the south west now,

here she comes.......... http://www.yr.no/satellitt/europa_animasjon.html

Posted

Wind gusts are much lower than forecast on XC weather up to now for here, highest being 27 as opposed to 48 for 3-6pm on their site.

Does this mean there is a good chance it may not be half as bad later as well?

I am watching http://www.casa.ucl.ac.uk/weather/ for London, not sure how accurate this site is.

Posted

A big military helicopter (not a chinook) has just made a quick pit stop at Kent Police HQ. Don't know whats occuring but I'm guessing its flooding/weather related.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T/Storms, Snow, Extreme Rain, Anything out of the ordinary!

Storm thread say the 12Z have downgraded this for the SE later max gusts inland now max of 50-60 mph, looks like not as bad as anticipated

EDIT - Although I think everyone is just waiting to see how it plays out...lets be honest until it happens...it is an estimate as always :-)

Edited by scotteboi

Posted

That happened in '87. Went from very cold to warm in space of an hour. I stress this WONT be like '87 storm though, just a feature of low pressures coming from warmer latitudes.

• Like 1

Posted

Looks about right met office said 38mph here till 3, we've been in the 40's though, but that's normal really. For here anyway. From 3 till 6 it says 43, I think it will be higher.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Main rain area cleared through here in Croydon, around a half an hour or so.

Strongest winds for the south coast look to be around midnight and a little while after.

http://cdn.nwstatic.co.uk/gfsimages/gfs.20140214/12/12/ukwind.png

Tom.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

Ah.....here she is then.........

post-17085-0-21849800-1392393727_thumb.j

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Them squalls heading up from the South Coast look quite intense on the radar. Also look to be hitting me within the next 45 minutes, should be interesting!

Posted
  • Location: Chelsfield, Orpington (Kent / SE London) - 115m ASL
  • Location: Chelsfield, Orpington (Kent / SE London) - 115m ASL

Landslip at Chelsfield so at present the main line between Sevenoaks and Orpington is blocked.

That's my station, thanks for the info. After a lull in the wind, it's getting breezy again now but nothing out of the ordinary yet.

Edited by EWS

Posted

Sky has gone very dark again now, but up till now at least this has been a damp squib and not a storm.

Storm thread say the 12Z have downgraded this for the SE later max gusts inland now max of 50-60 mph, looks like not as bad as anticipated.

Depends on what models their getting their info from, Met Office's information is very unclear and confusing to some extent they've expanded their Amber warning area to cover more of SE and London area and are claiming inland gusts could reach 70mph yet all their computer runs on their website have gusts of 50-60mph and only barely 70 on the coast not 80 so depends on what you believe, either their not taking note of what their latest models are predicting and are broadcasting information that's about 12 hours out of date either that or their website graphs are out of date!

• Like 1

Sky has gone very dark again now, but up till now at least this has been a damp squib and not a storm.

Depends on what models their getting their info from, Met Office's information is very unclear and confusing to some extent they've expanded their Amber warning area to cover more of SE and London area and are claiming inland gusts could reach 70mph yet all their computer runs on their website have gusts of 50-60mph and only barely 70 on the coast not 80 so depends on what you believe, either their not taking note of what their latest models are predicting and are broadcasting information that's about 12 hours out of date either that or their website graphs are out of date!

Dunno if the 12z is a wobble or not but there are some 80mph+ winds now getting close to the South west so could be a rouge run..

post-12648-0-87306200-1392394107_thumb.j

• Like 1