Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East England & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 13/02/14

Snowangel-MK

Posted

Been watching it since 10 am. Tide's gone right out, but is back to high tide at 23:30 tonight just as the winds hit. Poor old Bognor - I'd move that boat.

I'm not going to take the dogs out today, just on a lead around the garden (for 'business' not pleasure) and then going to stay in and make some more candles in case we need them.

Hi Icene. I would say that is a good itinerary for today. Tried to take the dog out about 2:30pm yesterday. Door opened, he stepped back and dug his heels in, tail down and ears back. LOL. Had to wait until it was dark to walk him as it had quietened down then but he didn't like the heavy rain combined with the strong winds earlier. Had to drag him out this morning again. We appear to be getting a small window of lighter rain soon and only F6 gusting F7 at the moment so he may go out for the last time around 2:30 today. After that he will be let loose in the garden on his own. He does do his business pretty quickly in this weather. LOL.

Edited by coldfingers
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun, Deep Snow, Convective Goodness, Anvil Crawlers

yep. Hacking down now, just did the lunchtime dash.

Greater Anglia tweeted about Service tonight, encouraging customers to complete journeys as soon as possible.... eeep.

http://www.greateranglia.co.uk/about-us/news/2014/02/met-office-weather-warning-for-high-winds

• Like 2

Posted

BBC London forecast just now the presenter quoted "Gusts of 70-80mph possible in early hours of tomorrow morning!" whether she meant to say nearer the south coast or not I don't know but considering it was a forecast for the London region slightly worrying, I get the impression that this is rapidly deepening before it's strongest winds come ashore just like Wednesday's storm did and that the Met Office have underestimated it and won't get out more representative warnings until within a few hours of it hitting, their cutting things very fine again!  Posted Image Posted Image

That is worrying as some of those who may need the warnings may be in bed by then
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Looks very bad that rain right the way through the Thames Valley Posted Image last thing that needs to be happening tbh...

• Like 1

Posted

That is worrying as some of those who may need the warnings may be in bed by then

I think it's probably a good thing that most people will be safely tucked up in their bed when this storm arrives? 

• Like 7

Posted

yep. Hacking down now, just did the lunchtime dash.

Greater Anglia tweeted about Service tonight, encouraging customers to complete journeys as soon as possible.... eeep.

http://www.greateranglia.co.uk/about-us/news/2014/02/met-office-weather-warning-for-high-winds

Not sure about that "ticket restrictions removed until close of service" part. Looks like they are planning to close early.

• Like 1

Posted

Very heavy rain in Reigate for the last couple of hours and the garden is again doing the 'look at me, I'm a rice paddy' thing.

AS

Edited by abruzzi spur
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales/storms, snow, thunder!

I think it's probably a good thing that most people will be safely tucked up in their bed when this storm arrives? 

If London and the surrounding suburbs and counties get much over 70mph there'll be quite a lot of damage and disruption, problems brewing up folks so sit tight Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

Ooh! I think I may stay up and see what happens. May be interesting but hope people stay safe.
  • Like 3

Posted

I was thinking of situations where trees might come down on homes and there might be injuries, at least if they know there are severe warnings they can move bedrooms or something, move the car, tie things down etc.

Ooh! I think I may stay up and see what happens. May be interesting but hope people stay safe.

I kind of want to watch as well.But I also kind of want to hide under the bed.
  • Like 1

Posted

I plan on staying up to see what happens - won't be venturing outside though! 

• Like 1

Posted

Chucking it down in Uxbridge, got soaked dashing out to the garden centre to pick up Valentines bits and pieces (yes, that is rather leaving it to the last minute I realise). As the rain has persisted really since the school run this morning, I am expecting a lot of extended puddles possibly minor flooding for the drive home along the motorways. Wednesday's storm saw the M4 at the M25 junction having streams of water across the whole carriageway, and most of the slip roads on my journey had one carriageway covered by the 'large puddle' extending from the hard shoulder.

EDIT: No idea what is going on with my font.

Edited by Reefseeker
  • Like 4

Posted

Hi Icene. I would say that is a good itinerary for today. Tried to take the dog out about 2:30pm yesterday. Door opened, he stepped back and dug his heels in, tail down and ears back. LOL. Had to wait until it was dark to walk him as it had quietened down then but he didn't like the heavy rain combined with the strong winds earlier. Had to drag him out this morning again. We appear to be getting a small window of lighter rain soon and only F6 gusting F7 at the moment so he may go out for the last time around 2:30 today. After that he will be let loose in the garden on his own. He does do his business pretty quickly in this weather. LOL.

My retrievers are too daft not to want to go out. Walkies is their top priority (even over food, distinguishing them from labs) and nothing will deter them. High winds make them briefly sniff the air before getting stupidly excited again. Managed to go out into the woods with them at 7.30 this morning before the heavens opened, luckily. Just the mud and debris they bring into the house which drives Mrs stun round the twist.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales/storms, snow, thunder!

I think its more a case of sticking to what the official forecasts and warnings suggest but not trying to make more of what those official forecasts say by endlessly seeking out quotes from elsewhere (BBC, tweets etc ) that 'appear' to suggest something else and then posting them all over the forum. There is always unfortunately too much sensationalism with these events from some people and this just causes additional extra worry that is unhelpful and totally unecessary.

It is better certainly that the strongest winds arrive overnight, but even then its still a case of not making more of what is likely to happen than is necessary

But it would also be foolish to underestimate it.

I was thinking of situations where trees might come down on homes and there might be injuries, at least if they know there are severe warnings they can move bedrooms or something, move the car, tie things down etc.I kind of want to watch as well.But I also kind of want to hide under the bed.

If someone's house is too close to a tree for comfort then perhaps a safer option would be to sleep downstairs, or at least try to sleep but if things get that noisy outside then perhaps there'll be quite a few sleep deprived people come tomorrow morning #BaggyEyes

• Like 3

Posted

I plan on staying up to see what happens - won't be venturing outside though! 

Me too snow raven. Hubby will think I am mad as I WILL be watching the Bognor webcam until high tide has passed at least.

• Like 2