Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East England & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 13/02/14

Snowangel-MK

Posted

Yes, and that I think is what will hit us tonight.

'

technically no, that's the jetstream travelling at around 160mph (so i hope it doesn't hit us anyway!)

but that's what is powering the storm system, generating the winds we will actually get on the ground

Edited by bobbydog
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Either this is tonight's storm hitting us much earlier than predicted, or else this is gearing up for tonight in which case Im a little worried about how intense it will be later.

No, it'll be a lot windier in the early hours of tomorrow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Very ridiculous video of a headmaster cancelling school in the USA due to weather:

LOL in London schools get closed for probably a lot less than what probably happened where ever this was at. At least they are having some fun with it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow cold,storms and heat

Very heavy rain here, but not too windy at all really ,the rain is very persistent hasn't stopped all morning .I know the storm isn't here yet but I have to say I was expecting it too be much windier then this .

Posted

The rain here in the South West has been torrential although fairly localised. Intense rain in the Channel sweeping up to Sussex Coast. Local weather forecast said winds stringers from 22.00 tonight onwards 80mph gusts.

Posted
Wight
Gale warnings - Issued: 0945 UTC Fri 14 Feb

Gale force 8 increasing severe gale force 9 imminent, veering southwesterly and increasing violent storm force 11 soon

Shipping Forecast - Issued: 1030 UTC Fri 14 Feb Wind South or southeast 6 to gale 8 veering southwest severe gale 9 to violent storm 11, decreasing 7 to severe gale 9 later. Sea state Moderate or rough becoming very rough or high, occasionally very high. Weather Rain then showers. Visibility Moderate or poor.

inshore forecast-

North Foreland to Selsey Bill
Strong winds are forecast
24 hour forecast: Wind Southeasterly 6 to gale 8 veering southwesterly severe gale 9 to violent storm 11, decreasing 7 to severe gale 9 later. Sea state Moderate or rough becoming very rough or high, occasionally very high for a time in west. Weather Rain then squally showers. Visibility Moderate or poor, becoming good, occasionally moderate.
Outlook for the following 24 hours: Wind Westerly or southwesterly 7 to severe gale 9 decreasing 4 or 5. Sea state Very rough or high, becoming moderate or rough. Weather Squally showers. Visibility Moderate or good.
Edited by bobbydog
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme

I think I'm going to buy a boat.

Torrential rain here since 7:30 am, shows no sign of letting up as more precipitation is forming over the English channel.

Winds beginning to pick up ever so slowly.

Met Office have reduced the Mximum Gusts which were showing at 75 Mph for 3am Saturday morning, to 69 Mph for midnight tonight.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

probably just my ridiculous sense of humour but I found David "I think I'm Winston Churchill" Cameron's speech this morning really amusing.

"The weather is being fought by the military"

Stop or we shoot! Take that, damned storm! Bang!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-26183880

there's this one yesterday but there was another one nearby last week as well.

Perhaps he's going to nuke the Polar Vortex over NE Canada.

Mad Crazy Thick Slimy Nuts Lazy Cretin. And they're all the same.

At least Nige wore a proper set of waders when he visited the floods - boldly goes where other pols have never been before  Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
Storm not behaving as modeled over Wales. Not sure what significance that has for the SE tho good or bad.

This frontal zone is misbehaving. It's actually splitting and disorganised over Wales, wasn't modeled that way as it headed N.

• Like 3

Posted

As sea states are predicted to be 'high or very high' at daybreak tomorrow, west of about Eastbourne, does anyone know any good location for wave watching in that area? I don't mean too far west - perhaps Portsmouth being the western limit? I wouldn't do Portsmouth itself.

Just in case I wake in the dark tomorrow morning and feel the urge to drive there... Posted Image

You could save yourself a drive and watch a good webcam. Bognor one is good from the pier.

http://www.bognorregisbeach.co.uk/live

• Like 2

The band of rain south west of London is really intensifying and moving north east

Mental rain here.. and looks like I got a good half an hour of this.. MENTAL! 

Storm not behaving as modeled over Wales. Not sure what significance that has for the SE tho good or bad.

This frontal zone is misbehaving. It's actually splitting and disorganised over Wales, wasn't modeled that way as it headed N.

Not much I think they mean this..

DO NOT QUOTE ME ON THIS!

The front over Wales was not modeled to be that far North and further south.. But that does not really have a huge impact on us..

post-12648-0-66409600-1392385166_thumb.j

• Like 1

Mental rain here.. and looks like I got a good half an hour of this.. MENTAL!

[/

I'm walking the dog at the moment. I better get home quick!! I don't want to get stuck in that. Drizzling here at the moment in Cambridge. Wind starting to pick up.

Edited by snowwizard
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Not a sign of wind or rain here in Medway.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

You could save yourself a drive and watch a good webcam. Bognor one is good from the pier.

http://www.bognorregisbeach.co.uk/live

Been watching it since 10 am. Tide's gone right out, but is back to high tide at 23:30 tonight just as the winds hit. Poor old Bognor - I'd move that boat.

I'm not going to take the dogs out today, just on a lead around the garden (for 'business' not pleasure) and then going to stay in and make some more candles in case we need them.

Posted

Very heavy rain here, but not too windy at all really ,the rain is very persistent hasn't stopped all morning .I know the storm isn't here yet but I have to say I was expecting it too be much windier then this .

It WILL be much windier. Once the storm arrives but that wont be until around 7-8:00pm in your area with the worst of the winds through the night.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales/storms, snow, thunder!

BBC London forecast just now the presenter quoted "Gusts of 70-80mph possible in early hours of tomorrow morning!" whether she meant to say nearer the south coast or not I don't know but considering it was a forecast for the London region slightly worrying, I get the impression that this is rapidly deepening before it's strongest winds come ashore just like Wednesday's storm did and that the Met Office have underestimated it and won't get out more representative warnings until within a few hours of it hitting, their cutting things very fine again!  Posted Image Posted Image