Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East England & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 13/02/14

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Surrey, I think you're right about the METO gust forecasts- They're computer generated with little or no human input, so are often a little sketchy. (Much like most online forecasts tbh)

Some times they are right but sometimes like during the christmas storm they are under by quite a bit.

Posted

Morning everyone :)

Seems as if the first lot of rain substantially weakened just as it went to move over the Southeast? Looks like there's another area of very heavy rain to come though if it keeps it's intensity.

It's got pretty breezy here over the last hour or so.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Amber Warning of Wind for London & South East England :

Brighton and Hove, East Sussex, Hampshire, Isle of Wight, Kent, Portsmouth, Southampton, West Sussex, Surrey, Greater London & Medway

Amber Warning of Wind for East of England :

Thurrock, Essex, Southend-on-Sea, Suffolk & Norfolk

A further period of very strong winds is expected across southern and southeastern counties of England from Friday afternoon, overnight into Saturday morning. Gusts of 60 to 70 mph are likely in the Amber warning area with isolated 80 mph gusts possible along the most exposed parts of the south coast. Winds will ease from the west during Saturday morning.

The public should be aware of the potential for disruption to travel as well as trees being uprooted and perhaps damage to buildings. The very strong winds will be accompanied by large waves along the south coast and the public should also be aware of these potentially dangerous conditions and also the possibility of coastal flooding.

This warning accompanies a larger yellow warning. The amber area has been extended to cover other parts of the south east and East Anglia. This includes the London area, where gusts of 60 mph or more are likely overnight.

Issued at:

1019 on Fri 14 Feb 2014

Valid from:

1800 on Fri 14 Feb 2014

Valid to:

1000 on Sat 15 Feb 2014

Another storm runs northeastwards across western and northern parts of the UK during Friday and into Saturday, before clearing to the northeast. Around the southern flank of this storm very strong southerly or southwesterly winds are expected to develop, primarily affecting southern and southeastern counties of England. There remains some uncertainty in the track and timings of this system but gusts of 60-70 mph are possible with perhaps 80 mph along the most exposed parts of the south coast. With these strong winds some large waves are also likely along the south coast and there is the potential for some coastal flooding where this coincides with high tides.

Edited by MKsnowangel
  • Like 3

Posted

You are subscribed to London & South East England for Met Office.

Amber Warning of Wind for London & South East England

Amber Warning of Wind for London & South East England : Brighton and Hove, East Sussex, Hampshire, Isle of Wight, Kent, Portsmouth, Southampton, West Sussex, Surrey, Greater London & Medway valid from 1800 Fri 14 Feb to 1000 Sat 15 Feb

I am sorry guys this just gets more confusing doesnt it !!!!!!!

check the matrix i am confused all i am gonna say its gonna be windy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Wind, Rain, Sun.....but mainly cooler weather!

Morning all. Got doggy out before 9am for his walk which was cold, wet and slippy with the mud.

Just noticed they have upper our area into the orange zone on MetO website.

Will be off to get the weekly shop in a bit as we don't fancy being out this evening.

Sunroom leaking on cue. Now realise the whole wall is soaked and it needs to be dried out and rendered.

Happy Vallingtines all.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

Rain started here now and wind a bit gustier than earlier. My neice flies out to Rome at 16:50hrs today from Gatwick. Hope she's not delayed by weather or WW3 will break out and there will be a few bloodied noses at the airport. :O

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, blue sky summers, misty,frosty autumns!

Rain arrived here some time ago and it is quite breezy. Temp is 5 and the pressure is reading at 1002.9( not sure how accurate my weather station is though) The rain is persistent as well!

Not looking forward at all to this evening. We are in for a disturbed nights sleep I think.

Hope everyone that is out later gets home safely before the worst of it hits. I have a house full of early 20's as eldest son has invited friends round for a Valentines dinner. Not sure they will get able to eat in the conservatory ( we use it as a dining room) as the noise from the wind and rain will be deafening. Have a feeling I may find some sleeping over.

Take care everyone.

Posted

As I thought, it's because we could see a little over 70mph inland... deffo some probs I fee tomorrow morning lucky it's not a work day (for most)

possibly, but the amber warning will have been updated because of higher confidence of the storm track and areas affected.

as for those confused by the warnings, they are updated separately so can appear to contradict each other a bit until they are fully updated. as it happens i think they are updated now.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Storms and epic cold snowy winters

Here's an update on the Croydon flooding & how crews are helping collegues in other flood stricken areas of the UKhttp://www.

http://www.london-fire.gov.uk/news/LatestNewsReleases_14021430.asp#.Uv31n_l_v4Y

Severe weatherWarning of Wind for London & South East England http://bit.ly/1gDfBw

Edited by Jason T
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

I am sorry guys this just gets more confusing doesnt it !!!!!!! 

I'm not sure why you are confused the amber warning accompanies a larger yellow warning and the amber area has been extended - that is all !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Big pulse of rain coming into the Southern Coastal regions now! I'm just getting the front bit of it, and wind slowly picking up from SE. Not a nice day, but at least later it will feel pleasantly mild.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Morning all. Posted Image

Under amber warning here too. Didn't expect that tbh. I felt it'd always be reserved for the South Coast.

Edited by Steve C
  • Like 4

Posted

Hi All

JJ1 - sorry to hear Southernman is in hospital - are you going to be OK for tomorrow's stormfest?

Hi PP,

Sounds like you've been really busy, I hope you didn't have much more trouble with the water issues you were having a few days ago.

Southernman has been in and out of hospital for over a week now they are letting him go again this afternoon just in time for the storm but he still doesn't sound well to me, I haven't seen him for days as I was too unwell to go to the hospital and visit him.Truth to tell I am a little bit miserable as I had new medication which is meant to be making me feel better but I still feel too ill to be out of bed much, maybe it'll start working soon.

I wonder if the volcano will make any difference to our weather?

Anyway I'm spending the day glued to sky news and netweather for information about the storm.Its calm here at the moment, no wind, no rain, just very gloomy and chilly but I heard that the rain has already reached the south-west.

Stay safe everyone.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Tornadoes, Snow and Hot Sun

all I can say about it out there now is YUK! got soaked and blown about like a rag doll and the wind hasnt even started yet! 

I do hope people choose to have romantic nights in tonight rather than romantic nights out. I have a feeling its going to be ugly later

• Like 2

Posted

Damn it! x-( OH wont take me to the south coast for valentines dinner... says he's not putting me in the path of the storm. He thinks im nuts... lol

It's suddenly becoming rather windy...

Posted

As I thought, it's because we could see a little over 70mph inland... deffo some probs I fee tomorrow morning lucky it's not a work day (for most)

70 mph inland is a lot worse for the effects than the same on the coast because the coastal areas are more used to such winds and by now anything that is going to be flattened  this year will most likely already be down on the coast. Be careful folks and fortunately for our area the worst of it is likely to be overnight.

• Like 1

Posted

Damn it! x-( OH wont take me to the south coast for valentines dinner... says he's not putting me in the path of the storm. He thinks im nuts... lolIt's suddenly becoming rather windy...

LOL. Accept that he loves you a lot! That is worth more than any storm. You will probably get it  wild enough overnight anyway.

• Like 1