Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East England & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 13/02/14

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Tornadoes, Snow and Hot Sun

Happy Balentines Day (as my kidletts call it) xxx

Sky is absolutely black here, super fast moving clouds. Going to pop out and do all our buts early so we avoid any wind! stay safe everyone 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Storms and epic cold snowy winters

Good Morning all. So here we go again.Posted Image

Posted Image

Later tonight South taken brunt again.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Ridiculous 

Posted

Looks like the pressure gradient has been upped further on tonight's storm could get a little over 70mph inland.. Will post charts soon as on the train starting the slave trade called work -.-

actually as of 6am, the met office have reduced the gust speeds over our region by about 5mph overall

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/london-greater-london#?tab=map&map=GustSpeed&locId=352409&zoom=8&lon=-1.17&lat=50.94&fcTime=1392379200

not a great deal but we'll find out later

• Like 5

Posted

Just heard the Met Office Chief Forecaster on Radio 4.  He said gusts of 70, perhaps 80 mph, on the south coast, and overall not as severe as Wednesday.  Still bad, clearly, but not the 100mph that some have rather wildly and unhelpfully been predicting. 

Definitley a day to keep an eye on the updates from the knowledgeable on here and, of course,the MO.

Have a good day all.

AS

Edited by abruzzi spur
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

JP,

Could get a bit blowy in downtown Croydon tonight, working until 9.30 (No POETVD, for me!) Posted Image

I suppose I could open my umbrella and fly back to Chislehurst. Joking aside, hope everyone stays safe, especially those of you down on the South Coast. Lets hope that's the last of this Winter's intense depressions.

Have a good day everyone, take care and Happy Valentines, of course.

Btw, really do apologise about that ridiculous link in my signature, perhaps if I remove it the white stuff will magically appear.

Anybody up for a Lightning/Thunder Cup, I'll have to record mine by proxy though! Posted Image

Tom.

Edited by Kentish CZ
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

Mornin each. Sky looking a bit broody and sulky this morn and it's spitting with rain. Like we need any more of that stuff.

It's gonna be an interesting POETS day. Have a good un peeps. :)

Posted

Checked the raintoday radar and am surprised to see the rain so close already. Is this storm arriving sooner then predicted?

Posted

It has expanded in size so - rain now - acc. to previous posts…timing of highest winds etc seems about the same...

• Like 1

Posted

Checked the raintoday radar and am surprised to see the rain so close already. Is this storm arriving sooner then predicted?

The rain was always due to arrive this morning during this time, the winds don't get going until later today
  • Like 1

This is the problem I see..

you got a 160mph jet stream over with this pressure gradient..

post-12648-0-37428100-1392368260_thumb.j

75mph inland MAX

85mph coast MAX

IF big if we do get a few downdrafts ETC which has been picked up by a few, then we could get a 90mph on the coast and 80mph inland... 

Stay safe peeps, this is going to be a wild day.. and VERY wild night

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny; chilly and sunny; thunderstorms; extreme

Reporting from Goddards Green. 4degrees C on the way here. May have seen some warm sleet on the windscreen, no snowdrifts driven by 100mph gusts yet. Only a matter of time :)

Posted

Yes this non-convective band of precip was always expected to travel across us early today, it is the Post Frontal Trough (trough's ? maybe 2 of them) later that really crank things up, and if showers form (very likely) then the gusts around those showers could be maximised. Cape is Skinny and Meagre later but SRH & Deep Layer Shear are maximised suggesting a slim Supercell chance as well should something interesting form, would think mainly C Southern England for this say Dorset, Hampshire and isle Of Wight coastal regions.

Looking forward to later on today for sure!

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun, Deep Snow, Convective Goodness, Anvil Crawlers

Chucking down here at work already... Happy Friday folks :D

Happy Valentines day to each and everyone of you. I spend a lot of time on this forum, reading each of your posts. Have a fabulous day whatever the weather. Oh... its raining here and miserable lol. x

Posted

Morning all, and Happy V-day to those that bother celebrating.  I've been with my husband 17 years - honestly, you get lesser sentence for murder these days Posted Image

As for the weather, it's bloody horrible out there.  Wet, cloudy and cold - the worse type of weather in my books.

Happy POETS day!

• Like 5

Posted

Walked the dog earlier. He didn't want to go out as it was already gale force 8 and heavy rain. I opened the door, he backed up, tail down and ears back! Had to coax him out with a boot (a gentle one Posted Image ) shoving his backside. We were out five minutes as he did his business in record time then turned for home, .... much to my relief. It is already horrible out and the worst of the wind and rain has yet to come.

http://www.bognorregisbeach.co.uk/live

A good webcam of the beach at Bognor, likely to be interesting at high tide tonight 23:25.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The most likely outcome. The MJO is only half the story!

Agreement across the models consolidated as per yesterday so I wouldn't expect much if any change in METO warning updates stated yesterday. It looks, if anything, as if the progress of the low across the UK and exiting into the North Sea towards Scandinavia is a little faster than yesterday so strongest winds should be decreasing soon after daybreak although obviously it will be a blustery day left behind.

However, through the afternoon winds will be decreasing quite markedly everywhere with pressure recovering back towards 1000mb from the south west. We can see already even by dusk tomorrow the low is well away to the NE and isobars more widely spaced. This holds the promise of a much quieter night on Saturday and hopefully a pleasant enough Sunday as a small ridge comes across

Posted Image

Posted Image

So, we have just got to get through a nervy 24 hours but then at least we finally see the end of the windstorm threats even though further rain seems probable into next week. However, with luck there will be longer drier spells in between rain bands as the jet energy coming out of NE Canada is reduced and heads rather further north to allow pressure to rise a little from the south even if it stays changeable for a while yet

Posted Image

Happy Valentines Day to allPosted Image  Its a pity that it couldn't have fallen this Sunday with the storm out of the way and with the quieter conditions that are to follow.

• Like 8

actually as of 6am, the met office have reduced the gust speeds over our region by about 5mph overall

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/london-greater-london#?tab=map&map=GustSpeed&locId=352409&zoom=8&lon=-1.17&lat=50.94&fcTime=1392379200

not a great deal but we'll find out later

I never really take those into account as I think they are computer generated like the BBC forecast? I may be wrong though :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Well I don't feel very romantic. EDF sent us a Valentine to say our monthly electricity would go up from £113 to £175. Worked out that in Canada, it would average £56 a month.

And of course instead of a 70mph storm we'd have lovely clear moon/starlight sparkling on the snow and another sunny day to look forward to with no filthy mud everywhere. Temperatures not that low either - -4.9 °C atm - and the lowest has been nothing we didn't have in December 2010.

Edited by Iceni
  • Like 4

Posted

I never really take those into account as I think they are computer generated like the BBC forecast? I may be wrong though Posted Image

i think you're right but i find them to be fairly accurate.

Posted

Surrey, I think you're right about the METO gust forecasts- They're computer generated with little or no human input, so are often a little sketchy. (Much like most online forecasts tbh)

• Like 2