Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East England & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 13/02/14

Snowangel-MK

Posted

i think the problem with the MOD thread is that certain posters demonstrate an excellent knowledge of the charts, then use their 'expertise' to ramp up any cold chart which appears, telling people to "expect upgrades" (which fail to materialise) they then get promoted to "legend"

however, you don't need much weather knowledge to understand that the sun does not shine out of their @rse.....

listen to those who give balanced, informative posts (like tamara) and don't be afraid to ask questions. after all, a lot of people like to demonstrate their knowledge and are very happy to answer them.

no-one should be afraid to post in there, its not an exclusive club!

anyway, its rare to see the met office predicted gusts so high for our region, they usually downplay the 'potential' to something more realistic and usually end up right. as tamara said earlier, this storm is not as powerful as yesterday's but the strongest winds will be in our region.

thankfully, most people will be tucked up in bed or (as some of us might be) watching it through the window, as the peak seems to be from around midnight onwards. however, gust speeds could be still well into the 50's up to around lunchtime saturday, so, stay safe everyone!

rob

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales/storms, snow, thunder!

A recent post in the feb storms thread has a model image which demonstrates how far inland the 60/70mph gusts go tomorrow night.

Yes I saw that, even London and the surrounding suburbs could feel those sort of gusts in the small hours of Saturday morning #NotPretty

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

[quote name="Rendaridra" post="2929561" timestamp="1392308199"

Am a bit concerned that I live in Eastbourne

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

I nearly made it through the whole of winter without a cold which would have been the first time ever. Damn I'm feeling rough :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers and cold snowy winters

i think the problem with the MOD thread is that certain posters demonstrate an excellent knowledge of the charts, then use their 'expertise' to ramp up any cold chart which appears, telling people to "expect upgrades" (which fail to materialise) they then get promoted to "legend"

however, you don't need much weather knowledge to understand that the sun does not shine out of their @rse.....

listen to those who give balanced, informative posts (like tamara) and don't be afraid to ask questions. after all, a lot of people like to demonstrate their knowledge and are very happy to answer them.

no-one should be afraid to post in there, its not an exclusive club!

anyway, its rare to see the met office predicted gusts so high for our region, they usually downplay the 'potential' to something more realistic and usually end up right. as tamara said earlier, this storm is not as powerful as yesterday's but the strongest winds will be in our region.

thankfully, most people will be tucked up in bed or (as some of us might be) watching it through the window, as the peak seems to be from around midnight onwards. however, gust speeds could be still well into the 50's up to around lunchtime saturday, so, stay safe everyone!

rob

Oh crikey - I've just seen that the MetO website has indeed  (as of 4PM) upgraded gusts in my area and are now predicting them into the 60s - quite a bit higher than yesterday. And I'm well inland - it's going to be really fearsome on the coast...

Speaking of which, where is Coast?

• Like 3

Posted

Arks are sooooo last weeks storms... I've just taken delivery of one of these .....

Posted Imageimage.jpg

It was quite a shopping trip today 5 hours in the car park (but that included time for lunch and a visit to the apple tech desk for some help) mr p couldn't believe I'd managed to be that long and still not have got anything in for dinner tonight - oops !!

LOL, why do I feel a little Beatles song coming on, ready folks?.... "We all live in a Yellow Submarine, Yellow Submarine, Yellow Submarine!!!!"

I nearly made it through the whole of winter without a cold which would have been the first time ever. Damn I'm feeling rough Posted Image

I know how you feel, I thought I had gotten away with it also but now I have a seriously bad case of man flu lol

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

I nearly made it through the whole of winter without a cold which would have been the first time ever. Damn I'm feeling rough Posted Image

Got mine over with before Christmas and then had a hacking cough for the next month. It's gone now though.

Basically the rule is, stay away from children and old people. Got the cough from my Dad and it was the first I've had for 5 years. He got his from some children who were staying with them over a w/e.

Edited by Iceni

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

I'm going to follow my own advice and make sure I've got all the oil or paraffin lamps functioning tomorrow — power cuts are quite likely after sodden tree roots take 6 hours' battering from 60mph winds. They just uproot.

Hoovering and washing/drying clothes this afternoon, evening and tomorrow too - anything you need electricity for basically will be done in advance ready for the storm.

Bugger! I have to wait to tomrrow as I need to wash all the work shirts and that means another day to do as of yet, but good idea/advice.Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

a quick heads up and repost from the south west/south england post of my thoughts having viewed the 12z NMM hi-res model. There's still time for tweaks in the trsck of the tomorrow's storm, but please if out tomorrow, especially in the afternoon/evening, please take care!

"12z NMM is frightening for parts of our region,plenty of heavy rain till mid afternoon, with strong to gale force winds....but it's after the fronts clear away to the north east that the winds really then increase, gusts of over 60 mph widely across the SW peninsular with gusts well over 80 mph along the south coast during the late afternoon and evening with these strongest gusts transferring eastwards along the south coast during the overnight period"

Posted

My 16 month old neice "drooled" on me over yule dinner and within 24 hours had the full on lurg, it has come and gone since but not as bad, not man flu this time, result! :)

• Like 1

Posted

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

hi guys

hope your well

give me a bit of time with this and be back soon

have a look for the moment and see what you think of these

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snow and a good Thunder & Lightening

a quick heads up and repost from the south west/south england post of my thoughts having viewed the 12z NMM hi-res model. There's still time for tweaks in the trsck of the tomorrow's storm, but please if out tomorrow, especially in the afternoon/evening, please take care!   "12z NMM is frightening for parts of our region,plenty of heavy rain till mid afternoon, with strong to gale force winds....but it's after the fronts clear away to the north east that the winds really then increase, gusts of over 60 mph widely across the SW peninsular with gusts well over 80 mph along the south coast during the late afternoon and evening with these strongest gusts transferring eastwards along the south coast during the overnight period"

Lordy, that sounds horrendous, I'm supposed to be at college up the back of Stanmer Park tomorrow afternoon, don't fancy pruning tree/shrubs in that, there won't be any left to prune!
  • Like 2

Posted

Oh crikey - I've just seen that the MetO website has indeed  (as of 4PM) upgraded gusts in my area and are now predicting them into the 60s - quite a bit higher than yesterday. And I'm well inland - it's going to be really fearsome on the coast...

Speaking of which, where is Coast?

also, we shouldn't forget that this is quite a long lasting storm. those higher gust figures go on for a good few hours. they are also shown at 3 hour intervals and are just a snapshot of the storm at that point. 3 hours is a long time at those windspeeds and in between midnight and 3, they could go even higher!

• Like 3

Posted

also, we shouldn't forget that this is quite a long lasting storm. those higher gust figures go on for a good few hours. they are also shown at 3 hour intervals and are just a snapshot of the storm at that point. 3 hours is a long time at those windspeeds and in between midnight and 3, they could go even higher!

Midnight to 6am looks pretty epic to be honest, as you say a sustained spell of intense gusts!

• Like 2

Posted

i think they're very nice john

but you could have coloured them in.............Posted Image

He did, black and white :p

• Like 3

Posted
hi guys

hope your well

John : I think there is still a bit of room at this stage - unfortunately - for that low to not veer to the North in the fashion it is and for the actual situation to continue to upgrade to the nasty side - It is nasty as it is but I am thinking worse based on a revision of the track of the low

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

hi guys

hope your well

I think I want to visit familly in London from tomorrow morning, unfortunately I do not have the funds or I would. This is looking pretty scarey to me. Have hated windstorms since 87, hoping this one sounds nothing like it while it's happening.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers and cold snowy winters

I think I want to visit familly in London from tomorrow morning, unfortunately I do not have the funds or I would. This is looking pretty scarey to me. Have hated windstorms since 87, hoping this one sounds nothing like it while it's happening.

I particularly hate windstorms that happen at night, when I have no idea what the various noises outside are or whether I should be worried about them.... looks like another night with no sleep for me and the cats!

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

What time will the strongest winds be over the London area? Would like to avoid being outdoors as nearly got hit by an advertising board back in October. It came at me so fast,  I didn't even get a chance to see what it was advertising.

• Like 4

Posted

What time will the strongest winds be over the London area? Would like to avoid being outdoors as nearly got hit by an advertising board back in October. It came at me so fast,  I didn't even get a chance to see what it was advertising.

Looks like from about midnight to 6am most likely around 3am being the absolute peak.

I can categorically promise you it won't be as bad as 1987, I say that whilst holding my breath lol. If the winds get as strong as they did in North Wales yesterday then it'll be comparable but (SO FAR) the forecasts aren't going for it be quite that extreme more like 70mph so bad yes but not 100mph, however there's still time for the warnings to be upgraded if the system intensifies anymore between now and making landfall, just like for yesterdays storm the Red warnings where only issued a few hours before the hurricane-force winds hit!

Posted

...however I do think this could be more powerful and certainly more prolonged then what St Jude was!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Winds of 108mph, structural damage, flying debris, massive depression, icy blasts, communication difficulties, untold misery and suffering...

(And that's just in the MAD thread ! )

But we do have something like this to (not) look forward to ....

post-10773-0-26323900-1392315658_thumb.j

• Like 3