Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East England & East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 13/02/14

Snowangel-MK

Posted

My business partner reports a short snow flurry in Hurstpierpoint (about 12 miles north of Brighton).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Wind, Rain, Sun.....but mainly cooler weather!

Bright and very warm sunshine! :-)

Posted

Tomorrow's storm is looking like the biggest of the winter so far for our region with potentially 65-70mph gusts even in and around the London area which would probably mean 85-90mph along the south coast is quite possible, I'm certain that MetO will update and upgrade the warnings within the next 12 hours.

Where are you getting these figures from? Yes there will be some intense gusts but nothing I have seen is mentioning those sort of speeds.
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

I see the upcoming storm being another 'strong to gale' event quite generally, up to severe gale and (possibly) storm force on exposed coasts, myself. Nothing more than experienced this winter so far. :)

We can only wait and see.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, blue sky summers, misty,frosty autumns!

Well, this "winter" never fails to delight!

We now have thunder and lightning here! Sky is black and wind has got up again. Half an hour ago it was bright sunshine and blue skies!

We have had more thunder and lightning this year already than in the whole of last summer. Mad!

• Like 2

Posted

Just been in the south-west thread for reports from 'home' and there have been some good snow falls this morning, albeit not likely to stay for too long. No, no, I'm not jealous... much....

Blue skies with a fair bit of sunshine earlier, a few more clouds now.

• Like 1

Posted

And we now have sleety hail and the sun is coming out!

Posted

Well, this "winter" never fails to delight! We now have thunder and lightning here! Sky is black and wind has got up again. Half an hour ago it was bright sunshine and blue skies!We have had more thunder and lightning this year already than in the whole of last summer. Mad!

Hi AtlantisYes it has come over very dark but I think I may be lucky here and just miss me to the north. Crazy weather though more storms this winter than I have had from last few summers.

Posted

Just trying to remember...

We did have a very thundery morning last August here. I saw some photos of spectacular skyscapes within a mile or so of my house. I was also told about them too.

It's a pity I was nowhere near home at the time though. :(

• Like 1

Posted

Very intreresting.... Since the 20th december i have received 119 Email notifications from the Met office in relation to London and the southeast weather warnings. That just goes to show how volatile our weather has been recently. (increased to 120)!!!!!!!!!! Amazing

And this is why I am confused over the calls for river dredging and the anger that this has not been carried out befre, surely any such dredging would only have the confines of a normal winter's rainfall in its scheme, whereas this winter has been so far outside of normal that against this, the dredging would fail, to my mind.
  • Like 1

Posted

Hi Jules,

That storm passed over really quickly and we are back to sunshine and no wind. It disappeared as quickly as it appeared, so hope it missed you.

My poor old lab does not know what to do with himself - he hates thunder and lightning and the howling noise of the wind. So hope we don't have too much more of that today.

• Like 1

Posted

And this is why I am confused over the calls for river dredging and the anger that this has not been carried out befre, surely any such dredging would only have the confines of a normal winter's rainfall in its scheme, whereas this winter has been so far outside of normal that against this, the dredging would fail, to my mind.

Hi , jennyjane. You have quoted the same as our local cllr. The point of dredging will only help in normal wet conditions. Even if all rivers were dredged places would still flood due to the amount of rainfall these past couple of months.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather extremes

Just had a heavy hail shower here too :) Back to blue skies and sunshine now

Posted

Hi Jules,That storm passed over really quickly and we are back to sunshine and no wind. It disappeared as quickly as it appeared, so hope it missed you.My poor old lab does not know what to do with himself - he hates thunder and lightning and the howling noise of the wind. So hope we don't have too much more of that today.

Couple of minutes of heavy rain but like you say blue sky now. Have two GSD's and the male one hates extreme weather goes mad barking at the gusts of wind and the thunder so he's not had a great time recently. The female one just tries to sit on your lap, not funny having a 40kg dog sitting on your lap. Maybe, just maybe we can get our dry afternoon before the deluge returns tomorrow.
  • Like 1

Posted

Hi , jennyjane.You have quoted the same as our local cllr. The point of dredging will only help in normal wet conditions. Even if all rivers were dredged places would still flood due to the amount of rainfall these past couple of months.

Right, I thought it was only me who thought the dredging issue was a bit odd, but I thought I must have misunderstood something about it.

Posted

Good posting by Tamara in the model thread again. Posted Image

The person who responded to her obviously didn't read her post, as he could have learned from it. Anyone who has an avatar like his, is unlikely to post much of value there anyway. The response was pathetic, but immediately 'liked' by some of the cabal that seem to lurk on that thread all the time.

I've lost respect (and quite a lot) for one or two posters there this winter. One who is a major year round contributor too. He has made some snide postings about other valuable posters, yet his postings have often not been worth a jot. :(

(slight) rant over - I'm quite chilled really. :lol: 

• Like 9

Posted

Also, Southernman was telling me something about the dredging that it removes the natural barrier of silt and stones at the bottom of the river so that while the flood or excess rain seems to go into the river, it isn't absorbed and so gets into the lower water table and causes issues elsewhere.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.

Where are you getting these figures from? Yes there will be some intense gusts but nothing I have seen is mentioning those sort of speeds.

Not heard 90mph mentioned anywhere,however i have heard BBC forecasts calling for 70mph INLAND gusts for a time tomorrow night in the SE,and 80mph on the south coast.All comparable with our strongest winter storms this year in October and Xmas eve.
  • Like 1

Posted

Right, I thought it was only me who thought the dredging issue was a bit odd, but I thought I must have misunderstood something about it.

I can understand dredging some rivers that are prone to flood with little amount of rainfall but it would not have made a difference with the onslaught that many have experienced this winter. We have had flooding and people have had to be evacuated. Every year I watch the great river Ouse burst it's banks flood the car park and flood into the ring road alone with other places in the area. No amount of dredging is going to make a difference. Yet people here are still calling for them to be dredged.

Not heard 90mph mentioned anywhere,however i have heard BBC forecasts calling for 70mph INLAND gusts for a time tomorrow night in the SE,and 80mph on the south coast.All comparable with our strongest winter storms this year in October and Xmas eve.

The last time we had 70mph I got 71mph gust and mate, scary as hell! Tiles came off the roof!

• Like 1

Posted

Yes, Peter Gibbs just did. Posted Image

There is an amber warning for wind along the South Coast now.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=warnings&map=Warnings&zoom=5&lon=-3.50&lat=55.50&fcTime=1392422400&regionName=se

Edited by Steve C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

The met office are forecasting more unsettled weather, however the lows won't be so vigorous and there will be longer breaks between each system, are the models showing this?