Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West/Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 12/02/14 19z ------->

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: High pressure and NO WIND! - Rain over snow any day.

Well the rain has started!

Had a 30second shower, then little drips and drabs but it is starting to go for it now.. a minute at a time.

1004.00mb and going down :(

6 degrees

13mph wind and set to increase a little overnight but no gales, no worries Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Off to clay karting today, it's wet, which will be fun

Posted

We lost power on Friday evening at 22:15hrs. It was restored yesterday afternoon at 14:30hrs.

Cue steaks cooked on an open fire and jacket spuds in the ashes for Saturday night tea. Had to spatchcock the chicken and cook it on the bbq for Sunday lunch Posted Image.

It did help that yesterday was a cracking day.

We went out for a walk this morning and found the culprit.

post-7340-0-99069900-1392636016_thumb.jp

Hats off to the engineers who got these cables back up. In between two channels of the swollen river, this area of the riverside is just a swamp at the moment. Posted Image

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)

Steady rain here today. Not going to help those on the levels.

Anyone know the following?

If we get 20mm rain how much does that raise the levels by?

With lots of pumps (some from Holland working away) How fast are water levels dropping by?

Thanks

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Steady rain here today. Not going to help those on the levels. Anyone know the following? If we get 20mm rain how much does that raise the levels by?With lots of pumps (some from Holland working away) How fast are water levels dropping by? Thanks

Question for the EA I think.. I can tell you though, that 25mm of rain falling over 1sq mile equates to 17.4 million gallons of water. :O

Posted

Christ, Thanks Mapantz, That`s a lot.!!  Not forgetting the run off from those there hills on to the levels equating to more to.

Wonder how much they are pumping out a day from the levels.

Posted

Steady rain here today. Not going to help those on the levels. Anyone know the following? If we get 20mm rain how much does that raise the levels by?With lots of pumps (some from Holland working away) How fast are water levels dropping by? Thanks

The Dutch pumps have actually stopped being used for the moment, because of fears the river bank they were on could give way... So it's only the original pumps still being used. Also, to my knowledge water levels aren't actually dropping much, the house in east lyng which has been shown a number of times now has the water above the knocker on the door which is the highest it's been!

Christ, Thanks Mapantz, That`s a lot.!!  Not forgetting the run off from those there hills on to the levels equating to more to. Wonder how much they are pumping out a day from the levels.

Oh, and apparently when all the Dutch pumps are in use they (only the Dutch ones) will be pumping out 90 tonnes of water a second (?). Think I recall hearing that on the news!

Steady rain here today. Not going to help those on the levels.

Anyone know the following?

If we get 20mm rain how much does that raise the levels by?

With lots of pumps (some from Holland working away) How fast are water levels dropping by?

Thanks

20mm of rain falling over Somerset (4,171 km2) equals 83.4 million litres or 83,420 metric tonnes of water. I imagine the catchment surface area is quite a bit more than that though.

Posted

Some images from our weekend in Sidmouth.

Firstly a CB with stunning mammatus near Yeovil yesterday morning

Posted ImageSidmouth Feb 2014 004.JPG

It was glorious on the coast between the showers with the tide out (in the evening, with the tide in, and full moon rising, large waves were crashing onto the prom)

Posted ImageSidmouth Feb 2014 005.JPG

A shower and rainbow

Posted ImageSidmouth Feb 2014 013.JPG

Taken today, a lot of the beach has ended up on the prom!

Posted ImageSidmouth Feb 2014 019.JPG

Nice to see pictures from back home (well a few miles away). That 2nd pic looks like the sand at low tide has been washed away as you usually can't see all the bedrock there, just outcrops of it slightly along (east) from that photo and also further west. 

Though I remember some of it exposed last winter, and it must have got covered up again by spring and summer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: High pressure and NO WIND! - Rain over snow any day.

Been raining for a while now and small gusts every so often (if they can even be called that).

Not too bad. Can't complain compared to what we've been through lately.

Posted

I thought that some of you may find this interesting so I have stolen it from a much cleverer person than I.

Folks, I notice a few posts speculating on where & why water is rising or falling & thought this map from the EA might help. The Tone & Parrett shown as red lines, the Sowy & King's Sedgemoor drain the blue line, black arrows the direction water is moving. 

So you've got water in the Tone coming through Taunton from it's catchment getting backed up as it tries to get to sea through a full river Parrett at Burrowbridge. It's spilling it's water over Athelney Splillway into Northmoor towards Moorland then on towards Huntworth (black arrows pointing left). 

Then you've got lots more water heading down from the Parrett catchment from as far & wide as Yeovil & even Dorset all heading towards the bottleneck at Burrowbridge (notice the theme of Burrowbridge being a bottleneck - it needs dredging!). That water backs up & spills over Allermoor spillway into the man made River Sowy - plus they can let water in through a sluice at Langport (Monks Leaze Clyce). That water (black arrows pointing right) flows across Aller Moor & Seven Bends towards the Kings Sedgemoor Drain then out to sea via Dunball near Junction 23 - That's where the big Dutch pumps are. 

So if places like Westonzoyland see water rising, that's coming from an over full KSD & once they get those pumps going that water should retreat back into the KSD. The water that's flooded Moorland & threatens Huntworth is the water coming from the Tone so to see that dropping needs less water coming from Taunton & beyond & also pumping out at Northmoor pumping station. 

So less rain, more pumping and a spot of Dredging around Burrowbridge would be lovely thanks. 

Spencer (FLAG co-founder)

post-9441-0-84521300-1392653239_thumb.jp

Posted

Well i think something has been done to the river here in Frome and surrounding regions as we have also had a heck of a lot of rain and although river levels rose it hasn`t flooded at all for a while (about a month) now but before with this volume of water it would of spilled over easily so thanks to Environment agency for the clean up. Many people have noticed this and commented recently on the lack of flooding here.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

Well i think something has been done to the river here in Frome and surrounding regions as we have also had a heck of a lot of rain and although river levels rose it hasn`t flooded at all for a while (about a month) now but before with this volume of water it would of spilled over easily so thanks to Environment agency for the clean up. Many people have noticed this and commented recently on the lack of flooding here.

Thanks for this post  Going to Asda  Wednesday morning so no overflow at Wallbridge is great news..

Edited by ARTDEMOLE

Posted

Nearly Mild. 9.8c...In the sunshine....

Posted
  • Location: Taunton Somerset(term time ) Sudbury, Suffolk weekends and holidays hoping to make Suffolk permanent soon ) . .
  • Weather Preferences: thunder/lightning ,gales and warm sunny weather
  • Location: Taunton Somerset(term time ) Sudbury, Suffolk weekends and holidays hoping to make Suffolk permanent soon ) . .

A rumble of thunder ???? very pleasant here today , sunshine - a few showers , but very pleasant .Found a daffodil in my garden about to bloom andblue tits checking out my nesting box...........

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

A rumble of thunder ???? very pleasant here today , sunshine - a few showers , but very pleasant .Found a daffodil in my garden about to bloom andblue tits checking out my nesting box...........

Yes brilliant day here on west mendip ,sat outside in the sun ,bumble bees about ,ravens buzzards and perigrans over head ,blackbirds are looking in bushes for nesting sites .sun still streaming through the window and yes bulbs well up with some probably out soon .i bet the wildlife as taken a hammering this winter ,and still some mixed up weather still to come by the look of the charts .

• Like 2

Posted

Reached 13.7c at 12:38 Now 8.2c with the sun still shining.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

My brother witnessed this funnel cloud today, blimmin typical, he was very blasé about it, saying it was further down to the ground and when he thought he better take a photo for me, it was in its way back up. Great shot though. Hedgend by the way.

T'was on the news, BBC South Today in fact. Some convective weather around our region once again with a few more days like it to come as I understand. Thankfully the odd drier interlude thrown in as well.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, tornados

Hi guys, hope your doing ok

Have not been around much, still helping out around the Island etc, i have also gone back to work part time after a hefty long break due to ill health.

Anyway the weather has been rain,sunshine,showers,cloudy,cold,warm and breezy lol

There are many community clean up operations going on at the moment on the Island, again we are all pulling toghether and getting the island cleaned up, we still have the army helping us in certain areas of the island.

Posted Image

The island has many landslips/falls like the one above and in some places it brings extra concern if the weather was to deteriorate again and rain became an issue.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Yes brilliant day here on west mendip ,sat outside in the sun ,bumble bees about ,ravens buzzards and perigrans over head ,blackbirds are looking in bushes for nesting sites .sun still streaming through the window and yes bulbs well up with some probably out soon .i bet the wildlife as taken a hammering this winter ,and still some mixed up weather still to come by the look of the charts .

Yes come March and April it will be so cold that everything goes into Winter modePosted Image Posted Image Posted Image

• Like 1