Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West/Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 12/02/14 19z ------->

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

Blustery Day. Horrible night last night.6.0c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Given the time of year last night I think that's very harsh. 99% of the public haven't got a clue about weather , probably never even watch it. Yes it's been stormy and on the news but you can't blame people for going out for a meal .

I understand where your coming from but this has been across the news for days and the business itself must have a action plan for bad weather in place to close in circumstances like these?  We have them in place for severe wind/snow etc at work and I know some coastal towns will close off the roads on sea fronts in bad weather.

It wasn't sudden and un-expected like a freak thunderstorm causing a flash flood, it would be like me putting on a pair of shorts and t-shirt in the middle of a snowstorm, getting rescued for frost bite and saying I didn't realise it was that cold. It must of been horrific conditions before they even arrived in the evening?

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together

Given the time of year last night I think that's very harsh. 99% of the public haven't got a clue about weather , probably never even watch it. Yes it's been stormy and on the news but you can't blame people for going out for a meal .

True although the restaurant owner would have been aware of the risks of his location . He does have a duty of care for his customers... It is bang smack on the seafront..... https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?oe=UTF-8&hl=en-gb&client=safari&ie=UTF-8&q=marine+restaurant+milford+location&fb=1&gl=uk&hq=marine+restaurant+milford+location&cid=400925681192841705&ei=TDr_UoKjLaPe7Abs_oDoDA&ved=0CCcQ_BI
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together

I understand where your coming from but this has been across the news for days and the business itself must have a action plan for bad weather in place to close in circumstances like these?  We have them in place for severe wind/snow etc at work and I know some coastal towns will close off the roads on sea fronts in bad weather. It wasn't sudden and un-expected like a freak thunderstorm causing a flash flood, it would be like me putting on a pair of shorts and t-shirt in the middle of a snowstorm, getting rescued for frost bite and saying I didn't realise it was that cold. It must of been horrific conditions before they even arrived in the evening?

Yup.. As a business owner where public have access he would have to have a risk assessment and an action plan to mitigate risks ... I know some businesses on Brighton Seafront close when the weather is questionable because of the risks.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

just been out to investigate, Sandbanks is a mess, poor people on the bay road, homes all got swamped by sea water, driftwood and even boats in one instance. Lots of trees down all over the place also.

Photo's to follow shortly.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

nah, they were just plain daft.......with the media coverage the weather's had in the past few days, you'd need to be locked in a closet, deprived of sight and sound to realise the weather is very bad and that it doesn't make sense to eat on a sea front restaurant!

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

To be honest, it's the responsibility of the owners of the restaurant. They should have been checking warnings/tides/sea conditions and closing the place if deemed necessary. 

Perhaps a Red Warning that the conditions warranted would have made them think differently.

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

I've just read that Hurn had 31mm of rain yesterday, exactly the same as I recorded here.

The causeway is flooded again, so many trees down, po!ice station roof blown off etc..

Currently 10.4C and sunny but maybe a few showers heading this way?!

Edited by Mapantz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Wind,Lightning

I've just read that Burn had 31mm of rain yesterday, exactly the same as I recorded here.The causeway is flooded again, so many trees down, po!ice station roof blown off etc..Currently 10.4C and sunny but maybe a few showers heading this way?!

Can't believe last night really, was one hell of a storm thats for sure! My fence didn't make it as expected! Lots of trees down round here, one car had a very lucky escape on the Verwood to Ringwood Road, and as I mentioned yesterday, the building site at the Local Morrissons took a hit. Crazy stuff.

post-15989-0-51919000-1392462214_thumb.j

post-15989-0-82236700-1392462214_thumb.j

post-15989-0-06843100-1392462215_thumb.j

post-15989-0-36455300-1392462215_thumb.j

post-15989-0-68660100-1392462223_thumb.j

• Like 3

Posted

Can't believe last night really, was one hell of a storm thats for sure! My fence didn't make it as expected! Lots of trees down round here, one car had a very lucky escape on the Verwood to Ringwood Road, and as I mentioned yesterday, the building site at the Local Morrissons took a hit. Crazy stuff.

What are the odds of a tree falling under a car? :o
  • Like 1

Posted

What are the odds of a tree falling under a car? Posted Image

I know! I can only assume maybe it fell in front and as they braked they went up and over?! Madness! Hope you escaped without too much damage? (Apart from the pub gutters!)

Posted

I know! I can only assume maybe it fell in front and as they braked they went up and over?! Madness! Hope you escaped without too much damage? (Apart from the pub gutters!)

Some 4" x 4" fence posts snapped off, it shows that I concreted them in well but I'm not looking forward to getting the concrete out lolJust about every corner of town has suffered damage in one way or another, still very windy now.

Posted

Some 4" x 4" fence posts snapped off, it shows that I concreted them in well but I'm not looking forward to getting the concrete out lolJust about every corner of town has suffered damage in one way or another, still very windy now.

Lol! Yeah still quite gusty here too, trees still wobbling around!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

Suprised there wasn't any damage done in the garden to be honest with the frequent 50mph gusts I had. All of the bins got blown down however, usually its just one or two.

There are a few weak trees around the area that have branches broken off or some uprooted, not in the imediate vicinity though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, tornados

Morning all

Still the odd gust, but nothing like last night, clean up operation in force on the island and im off out to help the guys and get this island moving again.

Have a good and safe day guys

PS

GLTW there was another beer can doing the marathon on my road at 6am this morning, was it you again, oh and your other personalized beer can was not a typing error :)Posted Image

GottaLoveThisWeather =  Yup cuz some-one has too  Posted Image

Right im off outta here to help with cleaning the Island up..

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

I'm about 4 miles south east of Newbury and its breezy, but isn't THAT bad! Reading some of the posts on here would have you think it's blowing a sustained 60 / 70kts up here. It really isn't. Maybe a sustained 35 / 40 with puffs up to 55 or so.

Yeah right, near 60mph gusts which can break branches or uproot trees was just in your books a tad breezy.

Come on man!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Well apart from our wheelie bin which is now at the bottom of the garden, and a few fallen pot plants, we've escaped pretty unscathed  here with regards to the wind. Nothing like Christmas time! The showers however have packed a real punch, two hailstorms so far this morning and another one just starting. Feeling chilly too at 5C.

Posted

A quick video here letting you hear the roar of the wind last night, the moonlight makes it quite an eerie experience!

• Like 5

Posted

Was just about to take the dog out, looking at the sky i decided to wait as it was black and im glad i did, big gust of wind immediately followed by a heavy hail shower, car alarms going off and traffic came to a stand still.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper seasonal weather but especially warm sunny summers.

Shocked that my garden is still in one piece.  My trees have taken such a battering and was convinced my old alders wouldn't make it but everything is still standing.  Even the home-made greenhouse and the trampoline are still in place.  Talking about trampolines, Preston road in Yeovil was closed yesterday whilst the emergency services tried to get a trampoline down from a tree by the roadside.

http://www.westerngazette.co.uk/Reports-giant-trampoline-blown-tree-Preston-Road/story-20631320-detail/story.html

• Like 3

Posted

True although the restaurant owner would have been aware of the risks of his location . He does have a duty of care for his customers... It is bang smack on the seafront..... https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?oe=UTF-8&hl=en-gb&client=safari&ie=UTF-8&q=marine+restaurant+milford+location&fb=1&gl=uk&hq=marine+restaurant+milford+location&cid=400925681192841705&ei=TDr_UoKjLaPe7Abs_oDoDA&ved=0CCcQ_BI

The restaurant is mostly behind a seawall and a huge shingle bank..the beginning of Hurst spit.I reckon he thought the sea wouldn't breach the bank...however it breached it further down during the last storm and they've spent a week with diggers and suchlike repairing the  bank!

• Like 1

Posted

We are off down to Sandbanks this afternoon. Any advice as to whether the roads between south-west London and Poole are functional? We have to go down to see if the flat has taken any nasty hits, from Karlos's report it sounds like there has been some damage in the area, so we are heading off with all fingers and toes crossed. Sounds as if my parents in Radstock also got some strong gusts judging by Gibby's report. Here in Surbiton the gusts are still 75km/h this morning having peaked overnight at 10km/h more than that; our fences are down, having only just been put back up from the xmas storms.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms

Morning all, hope your all ok, my weather station recorded a gust of 84.5mph last night @ 01:32 which took out 9 fence panels and relocated most of my garden next door and beyond

Fromey

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Shocked that my garden is still in one piece.  My trees have taken such a battering and was convinced my old alders wouldn't make it but everything is still standing.  Even the home-made greenhouse and the trampoline are still in place.  Talking about trampolines, Preston road in Yeovil was closed yesterday whilst the emergency services tried to get a trampoline down from a tree by the roadside.

http://www.westerngazette.co.uk/Reports-giant-trampoline-blown-tree-Preston-Road/story-20631320-detail/story.html

I just knew there had to be a trampoline story out there somewhere, hence my questioning post yesterday.