Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West/Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 12/02/14 19z ------->

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together
I'm about 4 miles south east of Newbury and its breezy, but isn't THAT bad! Reading some of the posts on here would have you think it's blowing a sustained 60 / 70kts up here. It really isn't. Maybe a sustained 35 / 40 with puffs up to 55 or so.[/quote

That is as maybe but you come to where I am. I am on a hill to the north. You maybe in the more sheltered part.

• Like 1

Posted

Woke up to a constant 20-30 mph wind.

Looks as if the stronger winds have missed us.

Strongest gust was 49mph around 4am with a few other gusts of 40mph overnight.

Just checked for any damage, and lt seems fine apart from mine and all the neighbours dustbins blown over.

We had a total of 22m rain yesterday and 4mm of rain since 1ma this morning.

Edited by lettice

Posted

This is what I meant about telling the neighbour he may want to move his car last night. The evergreen was straight before yesterday. They'd obviously gone to bed so couldn't tell him. Thankfully it hasn't gone yet. Although I bet he will move his car sharpish when he sees it this morn.

post-2094-0-18101000-1392448193_thumb.jp

Edited by Polar Bear
  • Like 2

Posted

Woke up to a constant 20-30 mph wind.Looks as if the stronger winds have missed us.Strongest gust was 49mph around 4am with a few other gusts of 40mph overnight.Just checked for any damage, and lt seems fine apart from mine and all the neighbours dustbins blown over. We had a total of 22m rain yesterday and 4mm of rain since 1ma this morning.

Are you quite sheltered? Lee on Solent recorded 80mph, Thorney Island got 74mph, even inland Hampshire getting up above 70mph.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow and storms

What a night, constantly woken by big gusts and our house creeking. Taking my sons to football now (indoors!) so will be able to see any local damage around Arborfield, Reading and Sonning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes of all kinds...

For me that was the worst night so far this winter - reminded me of October 1987. Although not as violent as 1987 the wind was extremely powerful, rattling the roof and windows and hammering the trees surrounding us. Woken up several times but thankfully this morning no real damage except bits of fencing etc. there must be some trees down locally though. I am full of sympathy for those living on the coast and for once I am grateful that we live about as far from the sea as it is possible to get.....

• Like 2

Posted

What a night, constantly woken by big gusts and our house creeking. Taking my sons to football now (indoors!) so will be able to see any local damage around Arborfield, Reading and Sonning.

Hi Frosty well be careful if you go out.. Roads don't look too good for Berkshire .lots of flooding now - more so than yesterday. http://www.bbc.co.uk/travelnews/berkshire
  • Like 1

Posted

Are you quite sheltered? Lee on Solent recorded 80mph, Thorney Island got 74mph, even inland Hampshire getting up above 70mph.

I've checked all the stations I know of in Gosport including mine and we are all reading the same, Hill Head too.

What station shows 80mph in Lee on Solent?

Edited by lettice

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Well looking around my street I'm very glad I took steps to prevent my fence blowing over!post-16760-0-20352400-1392450341_thumb.j

• Like 1

Posted

Well looking around my street I'm very glad I took steps to prevent my fence blowing over!Posted Imageimage.jpg

Well done you prob just saved yourself a few bob and a bit of bother. Thankfully has mine repaired yesterday morn.. Otherwise I doubt much would have been left today and I may have had a bigger bill!
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

It got to 63mph last night on the house with quite a few 50mph gusts.

Suprised i'm hearing of gusts of only 70mph on exposed areas, would have thought it would have been higher then that considering what I got.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers and cold winters with snow.

Dreading the trip to allotment today, hoping polytunnel, sheds and summerhouse have all survived unscathedPosted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow and storms
Hi Frosty well be careful if you go out.. Roads don't look too good for Berkshire .lots of flooding now - more so than yesterday.

Really not too bad in our area, some road flooding, fences down etc but not as bad as I was expecting. Just glad we are not any closer to the coast. Hope everyone on the coast is Ok this morning.

• Like 1

Posted

More flooding and 7 hour power cut here last night. At 10.00pm there were sustained winds of 30 to 40 mph.

Edited by egret

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme

Not been out yet, everything seems to be where it should be looking out the window! We are tough by the coast strong winds effect us more so than in land therefore more damage occurs inland where these rare big gusts occurred!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

104mph at The Needles 1.5 miles from here. The Island has been flooded and blown to bits again last night, trees down and power cuts all over the place, flooding in Yarmouth, Cowes, Newport, Ryde, Sandown, Shanklin, Ventnor, etc, etc.....

My local sea wall at Freshwater Bay has received damage in what locals say was the worst seas of the Winter so far.

Lets hope that this is the last big one, we will see.

Edited by Rustynailer

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

65mph gusts here this evening. The highest i have recorded since moving to my current location and certainly from my last a few miles away that some 15 years. Sounds very angry out there and I for one am glad i'm indoors.

Sounded very windy last night although I just drove to Bristol and barely any damage wise to see except the occasional twig and small branch on side of road. Posted Image

Posted
  • Location: Taunton Somerset(term time ) Sudbury, Suffolk weekends and holidays hoping to make Suffolk permanent soon ) . .
  • Weather Preferences: thunder/lightning ,gales and warm sunny weather
  • Location: Taunton Somerset(term time ) Sudbury, Suffolk weekends and holidays hoping to make Suffolk permanent soon ) . .

fence panels down awake from midnight - 3 am ...............still blustery .......

feel for everyone caught up in it ..........

Posted

The scene outside the Marine restaurant in Milford on sea where 32 diners had to be rescued last night.....

post-15182-0-22741300-1392455356_thumb.j

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, freezing rain, hail, thunderstorms!

Agree Mulls - you couldn't make it up really.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

Question is why did 32 diners have to be rescued in the first place, are people really that retarded as to go into a restaurant on the sea front in the middle of a storm?!  Should have been charged with wasting emergency services time and why was the place even open?

Given the time of year last night I think that's very harsh. 99% of the public haven't got a clue about weather , probably never even watch it. Yes it's been stormy and on the news but you can't blame people for going out for a meal .
  • Like 1