Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West/Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 12/02/14 19z ------->

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but soggy wetness

Huge Squall right now -  all sorts flying around. Post and Rail Fence gone and 5 posts snapped clean off. Really gusty winds and heavy rain - Horrible. Hope the roof survives and dread to think what we will find in the morning :-(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

Following a brief respite we are now as before but the wind has veered to a more SW / W direction. Our roof tiles are being lifted frequently by the stronger gusts, a sound I haven't heard in a long time. Gonna try and knuckle down for some shut eye. Stay safe folks :)

Edited by Fitzwis
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Atherfield, 0.8 km from SW coast, Isle of Wight, 35m ASL
  • Location: Atherfield, 0.8 km from SW coast, Isle of Wight, 35m ASL

Sorry to hear that, losing any tree is bad but when it's an old fruit tree it's a gutter.

Ironic really, next to it is the surviving felled cooker from 1987. It survived the fall and kept growing laid over. It now therefore records the wind direction that incredible night and is as productive as ever. Must say though, 87 (& 1990) were in different leagues to tonight.
  • Like 2

Posted

I'm about 4 miles south east of Newbury and its breezy, but isn't THAT bad! Reading some of the posts on here would have you think it's blowing a sustained 60 / 70kts up here. It really isn't. Maybe a sustained 35 / 40 with puffs up to 55 or so.

In Winchester it shows us topping at 41mph which ain't that much. But i'm sure we are sheltered here some how as we never seem to get much.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms

Another weather related drama occurred on my journey to a dinner party, by which time the wind had strengthened even more creating a tree and dustbin obstacle course for me. I have just come back and the wind is still rather fierce and difficult to walk in at times, but the sky is clear and the moon is out!

• Like 2

Posted

Ironic really, next to it is the surviving felled cooker from 1987. It survived the fall and kept growing laid over. It now therefore records the wind direction that incredible night and is as productive as ever. Must say though, 87 (& 1990) were in different leagues to tonight.

Agreed, it's a good storm, 75mph locally, but comparable to the other storms this winter and not comparable to 1987/1990 which scared the life out of me (particularly 1987). Two gusts Wednesday just gone scared me a bit (and knocked my fence in concrete slots down), but nothing else has come close this winter. Just as well really, not sure the country can take too much more severe weather!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: High pressure and NO WIND! - Rain over snow any day.

Pressure has risen from 97 an hour or 2 ago to 97.3.

Good sign I hope. Or maybe it'll just drop again once it comes back around.

I feel like the gusts are longer but apparently the gusts have gone down!

34mph wind and 54mph gust.

I'm going to try and sleep before our peak time for the wind hits.

Hopefully I'll drop off and not wake up till the worst is out the way (if it happens). But if not, I'll see you all soon!

Stay safe :)

Stay safe SDM.13Posted Image

Thank you! You too
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, hot, hot! Or cold, cold, cold!

Just spooked myself by taking the dog for another quick walk round the block this evening - first tree I passed snapped in half, the second laid out flat, roots pulled straight out of the ground! We turned tail and headed home again pdq. I shall be sensible and go down at high tide in the morning.

• Like 3

Posted

From the Daily Echo:

10:30pm

Gusts of 102mph off the Isle of Wight and 75mph in Southampton have been recorded as the storm gathers momentum tonight.

What a day for southamptonweather.co.uk to break down!

• Like 3

Posted

Doesn't seem overly severe here in Bristol tonight but it seems more sustained. Those areas that are prone to this must be taking a battering that is longer-lasting than Wednesday's. Stay safe all. I think if you've been alright so far (wind-wise) things won't get *much* worse, although it does look like sustained winds as we have now will be with us at a slightly lessening magnitude until maybe 15:00 tomorrow.

• Like 1

Posted

From the Daily Echo:

10:30pm

Gusts of 102mph off the Isle of Wight and 75mph in Southampton have been recorded as the storm gathers momentum tonight.

What a day for southamptonweather.co.uk to break down!

Broken down ? Now .edit .. ... 0:11 am saying 33mph. They must have been woken up by the wind Posted Image

I went outside for my last ciggy and I saw such a beautiful bright moon and the odd cloud passing overhead so fast, it felt like I was on a speed boat. Mesmerising and awe inspiring to say the least.

Eye of the storm? I do not know but its jolly windy here.

My chicken coop is still on the ground and the girls (Maud and Mabel ) are safe Posted Image  I hope...

Take care everyone

Edited by Liddybean
  • Like 3

Posted

Doesn't seem overly severe here in Bristol tonight but it seems more sustained. Those areas that are prone to this must be taking a battering that is longer-lasting than Wednesday's. Stay safe all. I think if you've been alright so far (wind-wise) things won't get *much* worse, although it does look like sustained winds as we have now will be with us at a slightly lessening magnitude until maybe 15:00 tomorrow.

I agree about the sustained bit. I think overall it is more intense here tonight than it was on Wednesday.
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, tornados

30 seconds walk from my house

Posted Image

Posted Image

Other areas of the IOW

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: None Really but a snow lover deep down

65mph gusts here this evening. The highest i have recorded since moving to my current location and certainly from my last a few miles away that some 15 years. Sounds very angry out there and I for one am glad i'm indoors.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Back home to see my PC had reset itself and seemingly had booting issues, anyway I'm safe and in the comfort of my home with a wee brandy before bedtime, if I sleep? Lots of weather related madness on the news so will be intriguing to hear of the reports in the morning. Still got an adrenaline rush of sorts listening to the howling wind, let me know if its dying down in your patch as for now I'll be staying up.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, tornados

Same here, bit of a lull, now really picking up, some major flooding on the island :(

• Like 1

Posted

Ok that whole "sleep" thing slightly went out the window.

Gusts are definitely picking up as the place is shaking almost constantly (not very rough, only sometimes so it's okay) and pressure has dropped to 97.2 damn it!

Not had much rain today but I can see a band of it heading my way

Posted

Update: had a severe gust just now. Dreading 3am if it's going to be higher than this.

Posted

Terrible news across our patch tonight. Priory Road in Southampton is being evacuated - a friend of my mum's lives there and she has not long lost her sight so it must be absolutely terrifying for her - at least it didn't come as a surprise.

All power has not been lost Lymington and the tide did indeed breach the sea wall.

On a lighter note, a car has broken down in floods in Canute Street Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

There was a bit of a lull now even stronger gusts.

85 mph recorded down near Sandbanks.

http://www.pooleharbourweather.com/weather/

Welcome aboard the madhouse, Pooley, please do stay safe.