Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West/Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 12/02/14 19z ------->

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Ok, well it's been a pretty wild day, with rain, hail, thunder & lightning, and damaging winds, and compared with northern regions, we've got off lightly judging by damage reports!

Still gusty winds this evening for our region with squally showers and the possibilities of snow to the north and east of the region

Please carry on your weather related discussions here

Old thread here --------------> http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/79339-south-westcentral-southern-england-regional-weather-discussion-050214-16z/page-39

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Sleety shower just moving through at moment, probably not going to see much of a wintry element until after 9/10pm I guess.

Couple of wet flakes mixed into it but mainly sleety rain

Edited by mullender83
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers and cold winters with snow.

When I saw Ian's Points West forecast and read his post I got rather excited, looks like I'll be doing Wife's head in with curtain twitching and lamppost watching tonightPosted Image

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low

David Braine suggesting anything above 500 - 600ft could wake up with a slight covering of snow. Obviously dependent on shower activity. Some will get others will not.

• Like 1

Posted

I am sad to say to this but someone has died in this storm..........

A man thought to be in his 70s has been killed at Bremhill near Calne while trying to remove a tree which had brought down power cables, say Wiltshire Police. They say he is believed to have been electrocuted.

Edit:More INFO

Back to the breaking news about the death in Wiltshire. Police say they were called to reports of a fallen tree in Bremhill at 15:10 GMT. Ten minutes later, on their way there, another call came in saying a man had been injured. Sadly, he was pronounced dead at the scene. His next of kin have been told.

Edited by Skulltheruler

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Slightly concerning, the MO wind gusts for here on Friday/Saturday are showing higher than today's as well as more prolonged, not good after what I experienced here, and how much damage was done around Dorset. I won't be getting in to an outside hot tub on Friday night either. :lol:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Very broadbrush and not to be taken too literally at this stage, but here are the current possible wind gusts in mph forecast for Friday night;post-12721-0-93643800-1392233068_thumb.jpost-12721-0-47159600-1392233076_thumb.jpost-12721-0-47274900-1392233082_thumb.jpost-12721-0-75876900-1392233092_thumb.jadd to the mix the projected rainfall;post-12721-0-38266500-1392233123_thumb.jpost-12721-0-11553800-1392233131_thumb.jpost-12721-0-79126000-1392233137_thumb.jAnd it's not looking good again. The saving grace this time is the storm is currently expected to hit Friday night and clear through Saturday morning so for this reason it could be less distruptive to everyday life than today's was, even though windspeeds between the two look like being rather similiar for inland areas of our region.One to watch though.

Slightly concerning, the MO wind gusts for here on Friday/Saturday are showing higher than today's as well as more prolonged, not good after what I experienced here, and how much damage was done around Dorset. I won't be getting in to an outside hot tub on Friday night either. :lol:

Yes, your in one of the more prone areas compared to today due to there being a more southerly element to the winds at their peak compared to WSWerly today. The south coast could bear the brunt this time.
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Very broadbrush and not to be taken too literally at this stage, but here are the current possible wind gusts in mph forecast for Friday night;

Posted Imageimage.jpgPosted Imageimage.jpgPosted Imageimage.jpgPosted Imageimage.jpg

add to the mix the projected rainfall;

Posted Imageimage.jpgPosted Imageimage.jpgPosted Imageimage.jpg

And it's not looking good again. The saving grace this time is the storm is currently expected to hit Friday night and clear through Saturday morning so for this reason it could be less distruptive to everyday life than today's was, even though windspeeds between the two look like being rather similiar for inland areas of our region.

One to watch though.

Yes, your in one of the more prone areas compared to today due to there being a more southerly element to the winds at their peak compared to WSWerly today.

The south coast could bear the brunt this time.

OUCH!

Posted

Definitely some white stuff in the heavier bursts that just passed over. Went up the shop and had a hail / sleet / wet snow / rain mix all in the space of about 2 minutes.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

Definitely some white stuff in the heavier bursts that just passed over. Went up the shop and had a hail / sleet / wet snow / rain mix all in the space of about 2 minutes.

Yes it was a sleet snow mix hear, very very windy in my open village with damaging winds accompanying the wintry mix.Points west looked good , he appeared somewhat unsure as to where these showers will line up , but all of us at times could well see some snow falling . It would be better if there was no wind as evaporative cooling would play a big part , especially with slowing the showers down things could of been much better from a snow persctive .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow.Thunder Storms

Took the Smart Car to Work,fine in the Morning but by afternoon…..Posted Image Driving along and Bee Gees Staying Alive came up on my play list!.. Put a smile on my face for the Wobbly,dodge the Branches Drive Home. Will be taking the other Car tomorrow!!!!!

• Like 2

Posted

I am sad to say to this but someone has died in this storm.......... A man thought to be in his 70s has been killed at Bremhill near Calne while trying to remove a tree which had brought down power cables, say Wiltshire Police. They say he is believed to have been electrocuted.

Sad news, thoughts to the family and friends. Not wanting to be disrespectful at all, sorry if you take it that way, but one does wonder why he was trying to sort that out on his own. Either way, sad to hear and ultimately that's the sort of devastation such storms can bring.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Good hail squall just then in Newbury, along with a potential lightning flash (maybe power lines) about an hour and half ago, its been entertaining that's for sure.

Took the Smart Car to Work,fine in the Morning but by afternoon…..Posted Image Driving along and Bee Gees Staying Alive came up on my play list!.. Put a smile on my face for the Wobbly,dodge the Branches Drive Home. Will be taking the other Car tomorrow!!!!!

It'll be Travis tomorrow, "Why does it always rain on me". Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow.Thunder Storms

Good hail squall just then in Newbury, along with a potential lightning flash (maybe power lines) about an hour and half ago, its been entertaining that's for sure.

It'll be Travis tomorrow, "Why does it always rain on me". Posted Image

Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted

Getting back to the serious business now, I do hope OMM is on to something here.

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/79215-model-output-discussion-25th-jan-onwards/?p=2928404

One or two of the more shrewd judges of Model Output discussion do tend to agree, so here's to the last of these awful storms by the end of the weekend. Posted Image Not for long of course but any break in the current raging zonal will be welcomed IMHO.

Edited by gottolovethisweather
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, hot, hot! Or cold, cold, cold!

Even had a few wet flakes in amongst the rain here a few minutes ago! Posted Image Didn't make it to ground level, obviously...Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted

Its been a day of weird radar echoes, here's another one currently over the SW and heading towards Plymouth and Dartmoor area.

post-7183-0-37980200-1392235936_thumb.pn

• Like 2

Posted

Its been a day of weird radar echoes, here's another one currently over the SW and heading towards Plymouth and Dartmoor area.

Posted Image2000GMT 120214 NW v6 radar with squall like feature.png

I wonder when we shall see our Bristol channel streamer setting up shop? I keep looking out to the Atlantic on radar but hard to see much at moment.

Posted

I wonder when we shall see our Bristol channel streamer setting up shop? I keep looking out to the Atlantic on radar but hard to see much at moment.

I was thinking the same, not happy with dew points at moment currently 4.1c with dew point of 2.6c.

Posted

I was thinking the same, not happy with dew points at moment currently 4.1c with dew point of 2.6c.

Haven't got a weather station but i stepped outside the back door just now, and although it's windy, it didn't feel particularly cold.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold and Storms

Will let you know if it gets here.... Edited by Beast of Dartmoor

Posted

Haven't got a weather station but i stepped outside the back door just now, and although it's windy, it didn't feel particularly cold.

Been steadily rising last hour, temperature steady at 4c but dew point now up to 3.2cPosted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low

zeroing in on me. Led to heavy sleet and hail with the odd flake mixed in. Edited by festivalking
  • Like 1

Posted

Been steadily rising last hour, temperature steady at 4c but dew point now up to 3.2cPosted Image

It's 3c here but my dew point is -1c

even my met office app says rain until 9pm before turning so I guess the colder air is only just starting to filter in so it's early days. Posted Image

• Like 2