Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Severe Atlantic storms February 2014

Liam J

Posted

I bit of closure on weds storm here for me. It looks likely there was a huge set of gusts but I just don't buy my stations 99.2 mph at the point of failure. Having said that there seems to be a clean line of chaos from darton high street, up through darton school and on the higher streets of my estate then over to and slightly beyond Mapplewell village. A run of 3 miles. I have a picture of my anemometer pole. How do I post it here of android?

Posted

Should be getting a rest from the deep storms for a while. Some time to reflect !!

I just came across this vid. Nicely put together.

Storm Surge - North Devon 2014

That is a fabulously haunting film.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

I bit of closure on weds storm here for me. It looks likely there was a huge set of gusts but I just don't buy my stations 99.2 mph at the point of failure. Having said that there seems to be a clean line of chaos from darton high street, up through darton school and on the higher streets of my estate then over to and slightly beyond Mapplewell village. A run of 3 miles. I have a picture of my anemometer pole. How do I post it here of android?

If you say it actually bent your pole right down and caused the damage you describe I can see that reading being true to be honest and not false.

It was probably some isolated powerful squall or something that other areas were not affected by.

Posted

got horrible feeling this set in till june when america is in its atlantic storm season.  What if this year misses them continues to batter UK.  Just hope I am wrong with this theory.  Love seeing storms just dont like the destructive power they bring.  I have always wanted to see the storms and good tornado. 

• Like 1

Posted

Here we go then.... Here is the wrecked pole and the new mega long 8 ft replacement. Not sure if you can make out the damage on next doors house, the entire corner of the house is gone.

post-6069-0-73219600-1392547416_thumb.jp

post-6069-0-63415100-1392547457_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Floods: Fresh Warning Of Rising Water Levels

Massive pumps have been rolled out to help reduce flooding in some of the worst-hit areas in the UK amid a fresh warning that communities could face further misery from rising river levels. The Environment Agency (EA) has constructed huge pipes to take the water away from the Somerset Moorlands and from some of the affected parts of the Thames Valley. The Government has now deployed more than 3,000 troops to help with flood relief and made 5,000 more available if needed. But residents have been warned that they are not safe yet. Severe flood warnings remain in place along the Thames and in Somerset, where water levels continue to rise in response to recent rainfall, although the latest EA update said the "overall picture is starting to improve". Despite the improving weather, the Met Office is forecasting further rain on Monday.

The EA says that, with the ground already saturated, rivers levels will respond quickly to further rainfall. Areas of standing water could take many weeks to drain from flooded land, it adds River levels on the Thames are expected to rise again over the next five days as rainwater from the recent bad weather moves downstream, but levels are not expected to exceed those already seen in recent days. Three people have been killed in stormy weather since Friday. An elderly passenger on a cruise ship in the English Channel was named on Sunday as James Swinstead, from Colchester. Others who died were minicab driver Julie Sillitoe whose car was hit by falling masonry in London and a 65-year-old man in West Cork, Ireland, who was hit by a pole while repairing damage for a phone company.

http://news.sky.com/story/1212294/floods-fresh-warning-of-rising-water-levels

Posted

Here's the storm damage from our garden, where we lost 8 fence panels and a polytunnel :-(

Posted Image

Posted

Wall of water hits Newlyn Bridge on Friday 14th

wow that impressive.  All those nutters watching oblivious to nature danger they could been swept away.  Poor lorry driver nearly got brunt, to see them in the shot quayside grimsby firm which based on the docks.  

Edited by vladthemert

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: storms snow sun

People never learn how much power in water. Why do people go walking in the mountains when snow is forecast and storm force winds and people then got to risk there lives to rescue them.

Posted

Posted Image

Even though its just under 2 weeks away its a worrying sight to see the storms coming back on the charts.

Posted Image

This is just under 7 days from now.Which looks a bit tight at the moment should be cleared up as we get closer.

Edited by Skulltheruler
  • Like 1

Posted

Just the one warning out for rain till Friday so far and thats for today in the south west

Issued at: 1140 on Sun 16 Feb 2014

Valid from: 0015 on Mon 17 Feb 2014

Valid to: 2345 on Mon 17 Feb 2014

Another spell of rain is expected across southwest England during Monday. This is not expected to be as prolonged or as heavy as in recent days but given the saturated ground, the public should be aware that this still has the potential either to lead to localised flooding or to exacerbate existing issues. This is an update of the Alert first issued yesterday, trimming the eastern extent of the warning area and placing the focus on larger rainfall amounts further west.

Chief Forecaster's assessment

Another spell of wet and rather windy weather is expected across southwest England during Monday. Rainfall totals of 10 to 15 mm seem likely quite widely and perhaps 30 to 40 mm locally, mainly over high ground in the west of the warning area.

Covers

Cornwall, Devon, Dorset, Plymouth, Somerset, Torbay

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=warnings&map=Warnings&zoom=5&lon=-3.50&lat=55.50&fcTime=1392595200&regionName=sw

Posted

Is the GFS on to something? There was some signal for a development at this time a few days ago from the UKM but not much since.

Then out of nowhere, bang, a significant enough low @ 84hrs.

Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Yes, that would bring a swathe of severe gales over Ireland and up the western side of the UK. Only the GFS is showing a deep low at present so we'll have to wait and see if any of the other models want to develop something similar. 

• Like 1

Is the GFS on to something? There was some signal for a development at this time a few days ago from the UKM but not much since.

Posted Image

GEM goes for something similar. Wouldn't be surprised to see more secondary lows spawning off the main trough which may not get picked up until fairly close range.

Posted Image

Also shows a warm conveyor setting up bringing 24 hours or so of heavy rain to the W, the right setup for that with a SW flow and high pressure to the SE/E especially later on

Posted Image

Edited by Bobby
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

GEM goes for something similar. Wouldn't be surprised to see more secondary lows spawning off the main trough which may not get picked up until fairly close range.

Posted Image

Also shows a warm conveyor setting up bringing 24 hours or so of heavy rain to the W, the right setup for that with a SW flow and high pressure to the SE/E especially later on

Posted Image

Lovely, More rain.

Gloucester is probably about 1 foot away from being a major crisis.

We have some major flooding already but its about 1foot away from flooding huge areas.

A field near me that floods every year ( usually about 1 to 2 ft deep, is about 10 ft deep now )

Yay the winds have possibly stopped for a few days but this rain just wont let up.  My grass is dead from being pretty much under water all  winter.

Problem is we have clay like soil here, so in the summer I fall down cracks the size of my fist and in winter we have to swim to work ;)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Time to rewrite those rainfall records again Bobby

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: storms - of the severe kind

Was hoping for a calmer period. Pretty sure it doesn't feel that way in West Cornwall at the moment.

Coastal Gales expected this morning, and the radar is showing red over West Cornwall, from this slow moving band

Posted

Posted Image

Yes I couldn't believe it when I saw that. Hasn't the weather had enough! Fortunately most ensembles (at least 60%) have it down as a front rather than a storm, but then again a few ensembles have some real terrors. Will have to wait a bit longer to repair my fence!

Posted

The met office have updated today's warning for the SW

Issued at: 1049 on Mon 17 Feb 2014

Valid from: 1100 on Mon 17 Feb 2014

Valid to: 2345 on Mon 17 Feb 2014

Further rain will continue to affect southwest England during the rest of today. This is not expected to be as prolonged or as heavy as the rain last week but given the saturated ground, the public should be aware that this still has the potential either to lead to localised flooding or to exacerbate existing issues. Rain should clear eastwards this evening followed by showers. This is an update of the warning to give an idea of further likely rainfall amounts.

Chief Forecaster's assessment

A frontal system is giving another spell of wet and rather windy weather across southwest England today. Further rainfall totals of 10 to 15 mm are likely in places, with as much as 20-25 mm possible over high ground in the west of the area, particularly Dartmoor.

Areas under the yellow warning

Cornwall, Devon, Dorset, Plymouth, Somerset, Torbay

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=warnings&regionName=sw&fcTime=1392595200

Tuesday to Friday remains warning free UK wide