Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Severe Atlantic storms February 2014

Liam J

Posted

This one says London but its easy, there are a number of options, just click the one you want, map, text forecast.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/city-of-london-greater-london#?tab=map&map=SignificantWeather&zoom=8&lon=-0.08&lat=51.51&fcTime=1392184800

Thanks. Not much detail in the text forecast though! Posted Image Just think it should be a bit more visible on the home page. The mobile site too, which used to be brilliant, has now been revamped, and is basically useless.

Posted

Unconfirmed reports that RAF valley on Anglesey just recorded 105mph. My girlfriend lives there, she has no power. 

Edited by andy989

Posted

Hi all, just a quick question.  Ive got the webpage up for my local weather station which for the past few hours has been reporting the pressure falling.  Just refreshed the page now and it says pressure is now rising slowly.  I'm just north of blackpool and we're not due to get the worst of it till around nine according to forecasts.  If the pressure is now rising does that mean its starting to improve a bit earlier than anticipated or am i clutching at straws cause i'm terrified of the wind? (i'm sat away from all windows facing a wall with stone roses on full blast through the headphones, the kids and partner think im hysterically funny but we live in a south facing corner house with two massive trees about 6 metres away)  Strongest gust recorded here so far of 86 mph and i darent look outside....thank you all in advance xxxx

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
Greater Manchester Police, City Centre

SEVERE WEATHER WARNING - Do not come into the City Centre unless it's absolutely essential due to strong winds.

Posted

Emirates 777 still on a wild goose chase for somewhere to land.

And here it seems to have picked up speed once more, really loud outside, things flying around all over the place and the conifers are really being tested 

Edited by ChezzieStorms

Posted
Manchester airport roof has blown off , planes struggling to land in the uk

Where you getting the news from?

The Airport roof post wasn't entirely correct, it's part of the railway station roof, nothing to do with planes struggling to land. (Although they are struggling to land of course, but for entirely different reasons than a roof!)

Edited by Darandio

Posted
  • Location: Atherfield, 0.8 km from SW coast, Isle of Wight, 35m ASL
  • Location: Atherfield, 0.8 km from SW coast, Isle of Wight, 35m ASL

Still going around...post-13277-0-69623300-1392231888_thumb.j

Edited by wormster33
  • Like 1

Posted

Emirates 777 still on a wild goose chase for somewhere to land.

And here it seems to have picked up speed once more, really loud outside, things flying around all over the place and the conifers are really being tested 

Glad I am not on this plane. Watching it live on Radar and it doesnt seem to know what to do?

• Like 1

Posted

Climbing out the hold and looks like UAE19 is off to Glasgow/Edinburgh

Edited by SNOW_JOKE

Posted

Well this says it all really 

Just lost power for about 5 seconds here, getting stronger still 

post-17481-0-52368500-1392231927_thumb.p

Edited by ChezzieStorms

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Wind really picking up now, it's howling round the house and whistling the front door. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Warm summer evenings

Climbing out the hold and looks like UAE19 is off to Glasgow/Edinburgh

More than likely Glasgow Intl as it usually handles 777's. Edinburgh could in theory but Glasgow's runway is slightly longer 

Posted

Unconfirmed reports that RAF valley on Anglesey just recorded 105mph. My girlfriend lives there, she has no power. 

That will be in Caergeiliog then? My mother in law lives in Valley, just realised, she uses an 'electric' phone. I must tell her tomorrow to buy an old fashioned plug in one for instances like this.

Posted

So after months of watching lows nearly make it to the UK at hurricane force, one finally has done today. It was just a matter of time really, we couldn't keep dodging the bullet.

Unfortunately, due to over-hyping of previous storms, I don't think this one was taken seriously enough. The red warning was far too late - by 10am, everyone was at work or at school - the silly situation arose in Pembrokeshire today where children were sent home from school at the same time as police were advising people not to travel. And they only just got out in time because the roofs of two schools were blown off! Worse still tonight with commuters on trains suddenly being told their journey had ended because of the storms. But anyone watching the models over the last 48 hours could easily have predicted gusts in excess of 90 mph and possibly 100 mph (as indeed many of us have been doing). It was obviously going to be a different storm from all the ones we've had so far this winter. The media really should have been telling those in North Wales / NW England last night not to travel after 12pm today. I will be extremely surprised if we don't hear of avoidable fatalities on the news later. 

I imagine the response will be to go media crazy over Saturday morning's storm even if it ends up being far less intense - I'm guessing at the moment it has perhaps a 25% chance of matching today's storm but it's more likely to be a touch less stormy, and the difference between 80mph gusts and 100mph is absolutely huge when it comes to structural damage - and the timing will help too with it coming at night-time.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

This is astonishing. I have never seen such a sustained period of +100mph gusts being recorded! Its rare enough it happens but its usually just one or two gusts!

Posted

Reports coming in of a fatality - sad news indeed..

"

A man thought to be in his 70s has been killed at Bremhill near Calne while trying to remove a tree which had brought down power cables, say Wiltshire Police. They say he is believed to have been electrocuted."

Posted
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but Rain!
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl

Storm has picked up here now. Our weather station is playing up so no readings, but wind speeds seem to be in the ~70mph area as predicted, maybe more as Bingley which is lower level than us recorded in the 60mph range already.

Got to go out in it once it stops sounding like a train to check on our livestock, going to be fun :(

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

The main problem I see is that in normal conditions, the models always downgrade close to point of impact.

This winter has seen the jetstream do strange things, intensifying storms being one of them......something the models cannot cope with....or perhaps they can, however these runs are binned as too extreme.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

BBC Weather

North England continues to be hit hard with a 83mph gust recorded at Blackpool and 92mph gusts over the Peninnes.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Reports coming in of a fatality - sad news indeed..

"

A man thought to be in his 70s has been killed at Bremhill near Calne while trying to remove a tree which had brought down power cables, say Wiltshire Police. They say he is believed to have been electrocuted."

Very sad, sounds like another severe weather death that could have been avoided.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Floods...

Still trying get home, got to Whitchurch after a very slow trip on the A41 with branches and big trees down. Just A49 back home and that ends my storm chasing exploits for the day!!

Lots of folks doing all sorts of detours at the maccky ds in Whitchurch

• Like 1