Severe Atlantic storms February 2014

• Replies 956
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes Poseidon - went from just a breezy evening to rocket mode

nothing too serious atm though - but quite noisey

nothing compared to a few years back when we had 90 gusts and I could feel with each gust the house "judder"

Shipping containers, which were installed at the washed-away sea wall which carries the railway line at Dawlish, south Devon, as an emergency flood defence, have been breached leaving homes vulnerable to flooding.

The containers, which are full of ballast, had been welded together as a temporary flood defence in place of the broken sea wall. Homes in the town have also been evacuated as a precaution, Devon and Cornwall Police said.

• Like 1

Rain started around 9am.  Heavy and constant until about 7pm; now eased off.  Wind has been steadily increasing since 5pm.  Gusts are now causing north facing double glazed bay windows to creak alarmingly and its howling down the chimney.  Between the strongest gusts the wind is a low sounding roar.  I was going to go out the back of the building and stand on the south facing high ground parkland (overlooks the M25 in the distance) but it seems too wild to be wondering around out there.  Our beautiful trees (bought out here for safety from Kew Gardens during WWII) are thrashing around so much I don't know if they will all survive this, especially if it is due to get worse by midnight before it eases off. 

Unsure what the gusts are unfortunately, although local weather forecast just said we are getting recorded gusts of 50 plus mph.  If this is just over 50 I feel sorry for those who are getting much higher gusts. 

Checking in from a rather gusty Weston-super-Mare. Pressure just started to rise from 966hPa in the past few minutes. Very noisy out. Lights are flickering and I am staying well out of it with cookies and beer. Stay safe all!

Shipping containers, which were installed at the washed-away sea wall which carries the railway line at Dawlish, south Devon, as an emergency flood defence, have been breached leaving homes vulnerable to flooding.The containers, which are full of ballast, had been welded together as a temporary flood defence in place of the broken sea wall. Homes in the town have also been evacuated as a precaution, Devon and Cornwall Police said.

maybe should have flood filled with concrete !...
  • Like 2