Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Severe Atlantic storms February 2014

Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

@BBCSouthWeather: Current wind gusts: The Needles 90mph, 72mph Portland, 66mph Boscombe Down & Lee on Solent, 65mph Middle Wallop, 65mph S'ton & 64mph Hurn.

:o

Posted

anybody seen earth app how storm acting there seems to be gap open east of eye.

http://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/surface/level/orthographic=-0.66,53.44,1821

getting more windy here.... forget that very windy now

Edited by vladthemert

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

These are the highest official gusts as of 21:24

The Needles 90mph, 72mph Portland, 66mph Boscombe Down & Lee on Solent, 65mph Middle Wallop, 65mph S'ton & 64mph Hurn.

Over 1 inch of rain has fallen in Dorset today and more looks likely before the night is out

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, tornados

This really is quite something now. Whole house is shaking. Supposed to be worse at midnight !

Its getting pretty scary here to say the least, given up on keeping the shed in one piece, lights are flickering lots more. Stay safe and dont make unnecessary journeys.

@BBCSouthWeather: Current wind gusts: The Needles 90mph, 72mph Portland, 66mph Boscombe Down & Lee on Solent, 65mph Middle Wallop, 65mph S'ton & 64mph Hurn.

Posted Image

Don't believe the Needles one..its in a EXTREMELY exposed area on a cliff in the sea pretty much, so will give an exceptionally high reading and not a true anemometer reading

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Heat thundersnow heatwaves and freezing fog

Pressure is 972.6 here and falling slowly not had any really strong gusts yet but have had some lively squally showers with hail

Posted

Loving this wind, even if our double glazing is creaking a little in the strongest gusts!

Noticed that the severe flood warnings have almost doubled tonight.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Wind,Lightning

It is brutal out there, just heard that a trees blocking the route out of Verwood here, wont be suprised if theres many more.....quite simply a stunning weather event here.... 

Posted

Just drove over the humber bridge was a little breezy to say the least lol

yep picking up here I think you caught it right forcast gale 9 soon then 10 so prob it will shut I think goole flooded at moment so not sure you could gone that way around.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fog, Drizzle, Rain, Wind and Thunderstorms

Gust of 62kts (71mph) reported at Redhill Aerodrome, Surrey. https://twitter.com/atcfrase/status/434444103678722048/photo/1

Edited by jamesbhx

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything apart from grey and mild!

Evening all. Fairly wild here in West Oxon. I reckon average sustained wind speed must be around 25mph and probably gusting to 50mph at times. Its certainly very loud out there. Fair amount of rain today but has eased off last few hours.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

The reason I say that it's that bad here is because everything has to be just right for best impact of winds, due to location etc etc..

The criteria has been met now and from what I'm reading and seeing on Twitter, the flooding and damage is by far the worst this winter, and at least a decade.

Stay safe.

Yes I agree, for instance chalk sea cliffs , the striations and layers of flints are now showing hydraulic erosion holes I can put my arms in and not reach the back by meters in some cases. The waves hit this and vibrate it to destruction.

That is not normally seen as the background weathering of the chalk is usually enough ware away any hydraulic wearing after a few years, storms don't usually come in such large numbers as we well know from years of records.

We are in for some fun tonight with trees too if this keeps up.

My area and surroundings is at just the right point for certain optimum criteria to be met as you say. Lots of sea cliffs down the South Coast will be subject to this constant erosion and be on the same, "last straw/beamends" scenario, no doubt with tonight's straight Southerly gusts mixed in with South Westers, that is, and the Spring tides.

Edited by Rustynailer

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

At least 70mph gusts here right now. Very strong gusts at times. Nearly got blown off my feet a short while ago! I have never experienced that before!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

85 year old killed on a cruise ship on the English channel after the ship was hit by a massive wave

Posted

Its getting pretty scary here to say the least, given up on keeping the shed in one piece, lights are flickering lots more. Stay safe and dont make unnecessary journeys.

Don't believe the Needles one..its in a EXTREMELY exposed area on a cliff in the sea pretty much, so will give an exceptionally high reading and not a true anemometer reading

Does that mean readings from ships or buoys don't count?

Edited by knocker

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes, to a point .....

Upto 77 mph gust now at Poole, highest of the winter I think, major flooding in the area, my greenhouse gone again!!

Just a shower of glass around my greenhouse, haven't bothered to move it yet and no doubt more panes out later.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: storms - of the severe kind

http://news.sky.com/story/1211924/freak-wave-kills-man-on-storm-hit-cruise-ship

Big Wave Kills Man On Storm-Hit Cruise Ship

I prefer 'big' to 'freak'

• Like 1

Posted

Very sad news

A passenger has died and another has been airlifted to shore after a cruise ship was hit by a freak wave in the English Channel.