Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Severe Atlantic storms February 2014

Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

I'm completely baffled by some of the weather reports today, someone in my local regional thread said they had wet snow during a shower a few hours ago, he's 10 miles from me, yet it's a barmy 11.1C here! :O

Edited by Mapantz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

62mph! Blimey!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: storms - of the severe kind

I got flickering power - power spikes, every now & then

Got my candles ready, just in case

The sea state difference is amazing, the south coast, very rough

North coast, fairly smooth.. that should change later, with the change of wind direction

Posted

thanks gottolovethisweather for your reply we do get vortex around ground here even on carmer days.  Yep think we sceduled 60 mph gusts we was not expected get much wednesday had rocky period which blew big tree down in the town.

I think might avoid being near windows later be on safe side.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme

This is a joke. 

there's hardly a breeze out there, I think half the days this year have been winder that this, I know it's early doors, but IMO this is going to turn out to be a complete non event IMBY. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

Certainly getting squally here now with heavy showers and gusty winds.

Some images of expected gusts speeds this evening-courtesy of NW extra

post-2026-0-99702300-1392400124_thumb.pnpost-2026-0-00375700-1392400138_thumb.pnpost-2026-0-27046500-1392400151_thumb.pn

forecasted speeds piicking up and peaking later this evening.See the wildest area now approaching the Channel coast peaking in many areas around 8-9pm Some easing after  mid-night although still a stormy period through the early hours of tomorrow.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme

Hi guys ,can I ask why lots of people are experiencing strong gusts already? And I live on the south east Coast and it's hardly a breeze? We have had torrential rain from 7.30am till around 2pm today , but now it's calm and clear

Yes this is exactly what I'm thinking. 

I think people who live well inland are so unused to strong winds that to them, a gust that would blow a small twig 5 meters along the floor must feel like a full blown hurricane. 

Hardly a breath of wind down here, it's very bizzare

• Like 1

Posted

This is a joke. 

there's hardly a breeze out there, I think half the days this year have been winder that this, I know it's early doors, but IMO this is going to turn out to be a complete non event IMBY. 

Wait until later!  Posted Image

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

This is a joke. 

Hmmm. I think that might be an UNWISE CALL.

Edited by gottolovethisweather
  • Like 3

Posted

Yes this is exactly what I'm thinking. 

I think people who live well inland are so unused to strong winds that to them, a gust that would blow a small twig 5 meters along the floor must feel like a full blown hurricane. 

Hardly a breath of wind down here, it's very bizzare

Same here, the rain as been non stop since about 2pm, wind though as been the odd gust as best.

Posted

Certainly getting squally here now with heavy showers and gusty winds.

Some images of expected gusts speeds this evening-courtesy of NW extra

Posted Imageviewimage.pbx 0.pngPosted Imageviewimage.pbx 1.pngPosted Imageviewimage.pbx.png

forecasted speeds piicking up and peaking later this evening.See the wildest area now approaching the Channel coast peaking in many areas around 8-9pm Some easing after  mid-night although still a stormy period through the early hours of tomorrow.

I think the NMM is way out on that one Phil. The forecasted peak winds are between midnight and 3am here,  the NMM has been poor in the last 24hrs.

Posted

EURO4 just out and has also downgraded winds for tonight - backing up GFS 12Z - mean winds speeds were 5-10mph higher for the south coast on the 06Z. The very strongest winds now reserved for Cornwall to IOW coast (50-60mph mean, so probably 80mph gusts) between now and midnight. East of IOW probably 70mph-ish on coast. As with GFS, a short bust of similarly high winds for S Wales and Bristol Channel around 3am.

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted

wonder if its stalling

Meaning ?Running exactly as predicted - South East not expected to get the real winds until later. Gusts here as bad as Wednesday at the moment and certainly NOT a breeze.
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales/storms, snow, thunder!

It's on the news now parts of the South West coast have already had 80mph and those winds are expected to move east up the channel.

• Like 1

Posted

This is a joke. 

rubbish

but  if it is a non event, its great news

Edited by steveinsussex

Posted

EURO4 just out and has also downgraded winds for tonight - backing up GFS 12Z - mean winds speeds were 5-10mph higher for the south coast on the 06Z. The very strongest winds now reserved for Cornwall to IOW coast (50-60mph mean, so probably 80mph gusts) between now and midnight. East of IOW probably 70mph-ish on coast. As with GFS, a short bust of similarly high winds for S Wales and Bristol Channel around 3am.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I think I will take note of the met office no offence….

• Like 1

Posted

Well the gusts here are enough to be driving bands of rain and to be loudly roaring through the tree tops. Not the strongest yet that I've seen this winter here ( St Jude was probably the windiest so far) but it's early yet. Last time I looked it's supposed to peak between midnight and 6am here.

Posted

I think I will take note of the met office no offence….

So would I Posted Image

But the charts I've quoted have been pretty good this week, so I'm going to stick my neck out and say no gust higher than 75mph east of Hampshire.

Edited by rjbw
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Humid & stormy

not much happening here just a bit rain really..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and thunderstorms, snow in winter

The wind here is nothing out of the ordinary either. It's been all about the rain today, torrential at times and lots of flooding even on some major routes.