Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Severe Atlantic storms February 2014

Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Severe storms.

Rain lashing down here, wind has really picked up.

Posted

Wind's picking up here- seems to be on par right now with what we got on Wednesday. It's buggering up the TV reception again- BBC News is more like a slideshow than moving pictures!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Well, that was an interesting day driving up to Tamworth and back to Lyneham in the name of the almighty dollar!......

set off at 7am, was raining steadily. Rain readily turned to snow up near Birdlip on the Cotswolds, back to rain up the M5 and then torrential sleet/wet snow near Lichfield, Staffs around midday...

On the way back on the Fosse Way the wind started building and I drove through 2 convective segments near Swindon giving torrential rain, strong cross winds forcing me to pull over for a few mins...Now back home the rain has tapered off as the convective segments have pushed to the north east, but the wind is really getting up, Weather station here recording means of 37mph for the past hour with a top gust of 51mph, and it's going to get worse overnight!

Are convective segments anything like Terry's chocolate orange segments AJ because either way you're making me hungry, probably a good night to snuggle up with beer and chocolates if truth be told. The gusts are starting to get livelier here as well. Look out for wind gusts being reported from the area encircled on the current satellite imagery folks, as this risk will only slowly transfer Eastwards as we head into the overnight period. As always the winds are expected to be at their most potent the further South you go.

post-7183-0-63123400-1392397748_thumb.jp

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow, lots of hot sun

The last storm was due to peak at 9pm in my area, but in fact peaked at 6pm. Despite the mb dropping the Met Office still stuck to its guns. But it was wrong Posted Image

Yep, top gust here (87 mph) was at 6.05 pm. Paul Hudson was saying at 6.55 pm to expect the worst for our area later that evening. Just goes to show how difficult it is to get the detail right.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales/storms, snow, thunder!

Are convective segments anything like Terry's chocolate orange segments AJ because either way you're making me hungry, probably a good night to snuggle up with beer and chocolates if truth be told. The gusts are starting to get livelier here as well. Look out for wind gusts being reported from the area encircled on the current satellite imagery folks, as this risk will only slowly transfer Eastwards as we head into the overnight period. As always the winds are expected to be at their most potent the further South you go.

Posted Image1730CEST 140214 satellite image.jpg

That's a very large area, the difference between this storm and Wednesday's is that on Wednesday the severe winds where only in a very narrow band whereas tonight's wind profile covers a much wider area and whilst not expected to be quite as extreme will not be far off in places particularly exposed to the south coast!

• Like 1

Posted

Very windy, and seemingly increasing in strength with some very strong gusts here in South Devon. Froward Point recorded max gust of 73.9 kts earlier http://www.nci-frowardpoint.org.uk/weather.htm, that's 85 mph. Not quite as strong as Weds yet, but knocking on the door methinks. They're measuring sustained wind of 60 mph at the moment.

Edited by boogercj
  • Like 2

Posted

On my way home. At Hopwood services on m42. Nice squall here. First one I've seen all day.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: all weather

what a downgrade on the latest gfs run. still looks quite nasty though

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

That's a very large area, the difference between this storm and Wednesday's is that on Wednesday the severe winds where only in a very narrow band whereas tonight's wind profile covers a much wider area and whilst not expected to be quite as extreme will not be far off in places particularly exposed to the south coast!

Yes, slightly overdone maybe, but its just to give the "heads up" for people to expect to see stronger winds as the back edge moves through, precisely as per the satellite animations. 

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Some beefy showers around no wind here of course due to the direction. May get interesting slightly later on if they swing to the south west.

Edited by The PIT

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Max gust of 52mph so far. Ghastly evening! Absolutely belting it down too.

Posted

Posted Image1730CEST 140214 satellite image.jpg

thanks for this suprised met not updated unless they unsure the area impact.

can ask silly question where I live we have 2 highrise including ours but gaps to east where I see the sea no obsticle until europe and to west gap 25 yards where no obsticle until hit linc wolds for the wind. At 6th floor could wind be higher than ground level.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

All these reports of bad winds further inland, yet I'm closer to the coast, nothing unusual here yet, not until later tonight.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow cold,storms and heat

Hi guys ,can I ask why lots of people are experiencing strong gusts already? And I live on the south east Coast and it's hardly a breeze? We have had torrential rain from 7.30am till around 2pm today , but now it's calm and clear

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales/storms, snow, thunder!

Crazy crazy winds here in North surrey wow!

How old are you mate if you don't mind me asking?  When you've seen an 80mph+ gust you'll know what crazy crazy winds are!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Hi guys ,can I ask why lots of people are experiencing strong gusts already? And I live on the south east Coast and it's hardly a breeze? We have had torrential rain from 7.30am till around 2pm today , but now it's calm and clear

Same predicament as me! :lol:
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

All these reports of bad winds further inland, yet I'm closer to the coast, nothing unusual here yet, not until later tonight.

Nothing unusual here in brighyon yet. Just very wet! I am in quite a sheltered spot though
  • Like 1

Posted

thanks for this suprised met not updated unless they unsure the area impact.

can ask silly question where I live we have 2 highrise including ours but gaps to east where I see the sea no obsticle until europe and to west gap 25 yards where no obsticle until hit linc wolds for the wind. At 6th floor could wind be higher than ground level.

I'm not really the person to ask but I would imagine the funnelling effects around densely packed buildings are where the stronger winds are likely. Also, if you've got nothing around you such as on top of Cairngorm and the like, these are always prone areas. In any case, you're plenty far North enough to escape the brunt of this beast though, I would imagine.

Squalls which are bringing convective gusts down to ground levels are the main reason for this. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong.

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes, to a point .....

Nothing unusual here in brighyon yet. Just very wet! I am in quite a sheltered spot though

Same here not much happening, it's windy, but not strong by any means yet, will update later.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

Posted Image

Back end of the last squall to pass through at sunset.

• Like 8