Sign in to follow this  
DisruptiveGust

Severe Atlantic storms February 2014

Severe gales as far north as the IOM now, westerly 47mph gust to 69mph.

Thanks for the updates Liam - any chance of telling me where I can get a wind map (gusts) that shows later than 6pm - just want to have a look for this area?

Im pretty sure i just saw a distance flash of lightning to the SW, What an interesting weather day it has been! I hope everyone is safe and well.

• Like 1

Just watched plane over Stockport try to land but had to put power back on and climb again looked like one of the really big planes

• Like 3

Just watched plane over Stockport try to land but had to put power back on and climb again looked like one of the really big planes

Emirates flight from Dubai has just aborted a landing at Manchester, looks like it's currently looping around for another attempt.

Stockport is wilder than usual tonight... :)
  • Like 1

Although this has been  strong storm, the worst of the winds have tended to stay out on the far west coast or on higher ground. Should tend to ease in the next hour from the west.

Still no match for some of the storms we get up here in Shetland, we quite often get 100mph winds during winter and can have now power/phones for days. This winter has been quite exceptional up here. 

• Like 4

That's mad they should have been notified of this weather surely

Although this has been  strong storm, the worst of the winds have tended to stay out on the far west coast or on higher ground. Should tend to ease in the next hour from the west.

Still no match for some of the storms we get up here in Shetland, we quite often get 100mph winds during winter and can have now power/phones for days. This winter has been quite exceptional up here. 

But you are used to them, it's be like a man from Antarctica telling a Canadian how warm their winters are.

That's mad they should have been notified of this weather surely

yes they are well aware in advance.Pilots decision unless the airport is closed,all perfectly safe, will have another attempt or two before diverting if it cant land

Gfs is showing no real end to the rain next week. Wst about other models. Still very strong gusts in cardiff

Manchester airport roof has blown off , planes struggling to land in the uk

Looks like it maybe on the way down here still gusting 60 mph but the average has dropped gradually in the last half hour.

Why is it so hard to get a weather forecast on the Met site? Is it just me? I know I am thick.........I would just like to see a weather forecast for the next two or three days for the UK. You'd think that would be easy enough. I don't want to see a forecast for just my location!

Just Breaking from GMP

Manchester City's Premier League clash with Sunderland at Etihad Stadium is called off by police for safety reasons

Emirates 777 going around again

Judging from it's direction of travel looks like it's diverting, no idea where to though

Manchester airport roof has blown off , planes struggling to land in the uk

Where you getting the news from?

Just Breaking from GMP

Manchester City's Premier League clash with Sunderland at Etihad Stadium is called off by police for safety reasons

Hopefully Arsenal loose, means we stay top for a while Posted Image

Edited by Robbie Garrett
  • Like 2

Broke on the news a couple of mins ago, confirmed by First Transpennine: #firstTPe Managers to assist: Manchester Airport closed after falling glass and barriers (not ours) blowing ab..

Why is it so hard to get a weather forecast on the Met site? Is it just me? I know I am thick.........I would just like to see a weather forecast for the next two or three days for the UK. You'd think that would be easy enough. I don't want to see a forecast for just my location!

This one says London but its easy, there are a number of options, just click the one you want, map, text forecast.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/city-of-london-greater-london#?tab=map&map=SignificantWeather&zoom=8&lon=-0.08&lat=51.51&fcTime=1392184800

Still fairly quiet Eden valley Cumbria, gusty but nothing too bad, wind seems to pick up for a while and then go quiet again, heavy showers and then clearer skys.

Looking at the met office app looks as though it will pick IP in the next couple of hours

Interesting to see what we get here stuck in a valley between thelakeland and Pennine fells.

Broke on the news a couple of mins ago, confirmed by First Transpennine: #firstTPe Managers to assist: Manchester Airport closed after falling glass and barriers (not ours) blowing ab..

I'm sure it's the train station roof at Manchester Airport that's damaged rather than the airport itself.

Part of the railway station roof blown off, Airport itself isn't affected.

Looks like it maybe on the way down here still gusting 60 mph but the average has dropped gradually in the last half hour.

Scrub that ti was having a 35 minute breather. Just had a 69 mph gust average back up to 39mph

• Like 1

To be honest, not that bad here in Wigan Greater Manchester, just feels like a  gusty wet and windy autumnal night, and its seems to be easing now,  reports of a tree down about 3 miles from here in Ashton, thats about it. To say I am just on the edge of  a RED area its a bit of a no show, certainly had much worse a few years ago,  not a twig twitcher , more a branch swayer this one