Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Severe Atlantic storms February 2014

Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, crisp, calm and sunny

Yes it has, press F5 and session restarts. 

Thanks.  Night night.

• Like 1

Posted

Gusts have been increasing here over the past couple of hours,with some that are making the tiles rattle.no idea of speed,can hear my metal garden furniture being thrown around and electricity pole down the street is leaning..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

hearing things like metal think the petrol station roof getting ripped again.  Hull had 58knots gust.  Going crazy here with lulls then huge gusts.

Not too bad here just the odd gust 

Posted

Anyone know if South Parade Pier suffering any more damage 

Posted

Anyone know if South Parade Pier suffering any more damage 

Haven't heard about any more damage. Last I heard max gust Pompey had was 74 mph just saying on Sky News that Hayling Island is cut off by flooding at Langstone.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and a cracking thunderstorm

Anyone know if Needles, Isle Of Wight reported a 109mph gust at 2300hrs? I saw it on Facebook mentioned.

Just had a look on Isle of Wight (live) Weather site and this is their records for this month, not sure if that's covering "Needles" though. :/

Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, tornados

Just had a look on Isle of Wight (live) Weather site and this is their records for this month, not sure if that's covering "Needles" though. :/

Posted Image

that is in Newport IOW, very very built up area, it wont cover the Needles IOW as it is over the other side of the island and very much an open area of the island too, i seldom go by wind readings from the Needles because of where the weather station is placed.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and a cracking thunderstorm

that is in Newport IOW, very very built up area, it wont cover the Needles IOW as it is over the other side of the island and very much an open area of the island too, i seldom go by wind readings from the Needles because of where the weather station is placed.

I asked a follower of mine on Twitter who lives on the island and he said that Needles reported 102mph... few pictures being posted too from various apps on Twitter showing 109mph.

Posted Image

Posted

It was no doubt recorded yes, however the needles is situated very high up so will give readings of very high wind gusts..

Still very gusty here but appears to be calming down now.

Heading to bed now as worst appears to be passing, night all,take care when going out and about..

Edited by Cyclonic
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: High pressure and NO WIND! - Rain over snow any day.

Forgot about this thread. Way more lively!

Had bad gusts the past 3 hours which calmed down for about 15mins and now they're going for it again.

Pressure has risen from 97.2 to 97.7 which is good but I want these gales to go away!!

Posted

Forgot about this thread. Way more lively!Had bad gusts the past 3 hours which calmed down for about 15mins and now they're going for it again.Pressure has risen from 97.2 to 97.7 which is good but I want these gales to go away!!

BBC just said the storms over the USA could have some impact on us. 

Posted

BBC just said the storms over the USA could have some impact on us.

Doesn't surprise me lol.Hopefully it just fizzles out mostly as it moves across so we have a small storm to deal with!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Doesn't surprise me lol.Hopefully it just fizzles out mostly as it moves across so we have a small storm to deal with!

Doesn't surprise me either, it's where most of our storms have originated. I didn't watch this news, so I'm hoping they are not saying more storms are on the way.

• Like 1

Posted

Noooo bring us snow...lol

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

According to this satellite image they're twins… never seen this before, ever!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2559856/London-New-York-storms-COMBINING-Meteorologists-say-two-storms-holding-hands-Atlantic.html

post-8078-0-50530600-1392441267_thumb.jp

Edited by Iceni
  • Like 4

Posted

I hope with them being twins that this one we're dealing with now isn't dragging the other one in faster.

We all deserve a big break right about now and I don't think a few days respite would do it.

Wish it would just disappear off the map.

I woke up to more gusts that are pretty severe taking it in turns to calm down and then really pick up.

I know it's slow moving but jheeze I thought this violent period was coming to an end for the night.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Well last night got a lot windier than forecast with gusts up to 64 mph calmer now gusting into low 50's

• Like 1

Posted

A really stormy night, only just dying down! I see we reached 80mph just down the road, I imagine most of the Dorset/Hants coast would have done too. I'm struck though with the amount of inland areas topping 70mph, Farnborough reaching 74mph for example, I'm guessing there will be problems across a large part of SE this morning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the more extreme the better!
I saw that, wondering what implications it has on our current conditions? Does it mean our stormy period will intensify.

Posted

I saw that, wondering what implications it has on our current conditions? Does it mean our stormy period will intensify.

No it doesn't. It looks as if we may be in for some relatively calm weather at last.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Hopefully that was the last deep low to come our way and next week we'll something more normal winter weather for the UK giving longer drier interludes between the rain which should enable the water levels to start and subside slightly though we've got a long long way to go before its completely gone

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted

I hope with them being twins that this one we're dealing with now isn't dragging the other one in faster.We all deserve a big break right about now and I don't think a few days respite would do it.Wish it would just disappear off the map.I woke up to more gusts that are pretty severe taking it in turns to calm down and then really pick up.I know it's slow moving but jheeze I thought this violent period was coming to an end for the night.

It really is not unusual for two weather systems to be linked as the sat picc shows, not that often that the cloud is quite so well organised perhaps.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

No it doesn't. It looks as if we may be in for some relatively calm weather at last.

There's many interpretations for that but the outlook still looks dreadful, particularly for those already suffering from flooding.

Posted

Morning all, well my shed is no longer a shed, more like a large sieve,  thankfully the water only came up to the kitchen door and not into my kitchen, and only 2 leaks (builders done a grand job) as for the Island..she is looking pretty sorry for herself this morning :(

Many places still without power, limited public transport around the island, we are all pulling together and getting the island moving and helping each other out.

These are only a few photo's, shall get some more later.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Like 7