Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Severe Atlantic storms February 2014

Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

looks like a back edge squall line starting to form to the west of Wales now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales/storms, snow, thunder!

Front just through Camborne about 60 minutes ago, cloudy with wind south west 30 gusting 74 mph.

BBC London news weather forecast quoted that there could be 70mph+ winds around the London area in the early hours of tomorrow morning Posted Image

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme

well I am confused with people reporting 40-50mph gusts in the North already  ??

what's going on ?? either some of the posters don't know what a 60mph gust actually is, and are thinking that a leaf beiong blown across a road equates to a 50mph gust of wind...OR this storm has a mind of it's own and is not behaving as modeled.

well I am confused with people reporting 40-50mph gusts in the North already  ??

what's going on ?? either some of the posters don't know what a 60mph gust actually is, and are thinking that a leaf beiong blown across a road equates to a 50mph gust of wind...OR this storm has a mind of it's own and is not behaving as modeled.

Don't worry EML just follow the usually posters who know Posted Image

Correct me if I'm wrong, but http://www.xcweather.co.uk/ uses actual observed data, so it's probably the best place to get info.

Posted

I think they might be taking the jaffa cakes, either that or it's something to do with the way the low pressure is rotating. Once it's back edge swings around and it's southern flank crosses the south that's when the winds will start howling along the channel and in the SE.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

Hi EML - would say the odd rogue gusts of 40-50mph in the north with exposure but the main winds down south for sure.  These from the Metoffice.. sorry they didn't come out right but if you check the Meto latest observations it gives details on there.  West Midlands, North West and Yorkshire having some rogue gusts but the highest winds are defo down your neck of the woods (South and SE)

St Bees Head Posted Image 5.1 °C SE 34 mph 49 mph 25 km 980 hPa, Falling

Crosby Posted Image 4.9 °C SE 23 mph 39 mph 20 km 980 hPa, Falling

Keswick Posted Image 6.1 °C ESE 22 mph 37 mph 35 km 982 hPa, Falling

Leek Thorncliffe Posted Image 2.0 °C SE 30 mph 45 mph 6 km 983 hPa, Falling Edited by P-M

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow,snow!! Ooh and sunny,warm days!!!

well I am confused with people reporting 40-50mph gusts in the North already  ??  what's going on ?? either some of the posters don't know what a 60mph gust actually is, and are thinking that a leaf beiong blown across a road equates to a 50mph gust of wind...OR this storm has a mind of it's own and is not behaving as modeled.

We really are experiencing some violent gusts, certainly not a leaf rustler,,i cant tell you the wind speed but i i know these freak gusts when tney come are much stronger than weds red warning for here.

Posted

according to earth wind currents we got winds splitting left and right winds coming from europe wonder if this  could possibly causing micro bursts.  Upto 17.5 m/s now here.

http://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/surface/level/orthographic=-0.31,53.02,1818

Edited by vladthemert

Posted

We really are experiencing some violent gusts, certainly not a leaf rustler,,i cant tell you the wind speed but i i know these freak gusts when tney come are much stronger than weds red warning for here.

Could be it appears stronger because of direction it's coming from?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

The wind is certainly stronger here than forecast. Must be gusting 60mph here in West Yorkshire. Has the storm shifted further north? And are they set to get worse for us?

Posted

It sounds to me like this storm is behaving very strangely and not how it was predicted to, perhaps it's central pressure is rising therefore it'll loose some of it's forecast potency or it's just winding itself up to deliver a sting in it's tail #Confused Posted Image

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

The centre of the main depression I believe is passing over Ireland currently judging by the satellite animation, but I may be wrong?

http://www.yr.no/satellitt/europa_animasjon.html

According to xcweather, the strongest gusts are due South and Southeast of this, so perhaps this will become more of a Western and Northern England event after all. All conjecture and that's not to say the squalls won't certainly pack a punch as the day progresses, well into the overnight period as forecast.

Edited by gottolovethisweather