Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Severe Atlantic storms February 2014

Liam J

Posted

I feel this storm has upgraded quite a bit in the last 36 hours. On Wednesday it was looking big but flabby, now the isobars are really quite tight. I note the GFS has increased the windspeed again for inland areas across the south, up to 70mph even up to the M4. I'm a little bit apprehensive about it, actually, being a stone's throw from the coast myself.

Posted

Just a last word on Wednesday's storm. It became apparent today that the area has been covered in sand...a few people mentioned it then I saw it for myself- sandy deposits on windows etc. This can't have been whipped in from the coast...can it?! It looks like proper beach sand.

ere give us our beach back. :-)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

Reports of snow over #Dartmoor & #Exmoor as well as heavy rain across much of the county.

Posted Image

Satellite 07:15am shows storm has grown overnight. Weather will deteriorate in UK during today.

Edited by pip22

Posted

Heavy rain here atm, sporadic strong gusts of wind. The met forecast says peak winds between midday and 6am friday..so could be a long drawn out one rather than the short violent one's we had recently.

• Like 1

Posted

The EURO4 has gone to the next colour in the channel just off Devon at 9pm - the first time I remember it going to the reddish colours off the S Coast this winter

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-bin/expertcharts?LANG=en&MENU=0000000000&CONT=ukuk&MODELL=euro4&MODELLTYP=1&BASE=-&VAR=ismh&HH=21&ZOOM=0&ARCHIV=0&RES=0&WMO=&PERIOD=

I find it really hard to read the colours but I think its saying 65mph average speeds?

Posted

Just a last word on Wednesday's storm. It became apparent today that the area has been covered in sand...a few people mentioned it then I saw it for myself- sandy deposits on windows etc. This can't have been whipped in from the coast...can it?! It looks like proper beach sand.

not sure if that occurred here but the windows were certainly covered in something slightly brownish in colour, my car was in the garage so not able to do a finger test, the window cleaners were also commenting on how mucky everyones' windows were?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heavy Rain

The rain band is really breaking up slot earlier than forecast! Cant see 30m falling today at present

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow

My windows seem to have specs on them, kind of whitish splodges, there's no point in cleaning them until this bad weather is over....Anyway it seems that on most weather websites they have upgraded the winds slightly, at least for my part of the southwest anyway....

I keep reading that it wont be as severe as the storm the other day well if we get 74mph in Exeter that some weather sources are saying than it will be alot worse that the storm on Wednesday for the southern area's when I'd be surprised if we had over 60mph in Exeter, plus winds seem pretty high for a longer period of time.....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

The rain band is really breaking up slot earlier than forecast! Cant see 30m falling today at present

There's a weaker trough ahead of the main fronts associated with this low pressure. The more significant fronts are just getting into south west England now.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

BBC Weather's Darren Bett said the severe weather was "hopefully the last in a long line" to hit the UK. Another area of low pressure from the Atlantic is arriving, initially bringing rain to the south-west before snow reaches higher ground in Wales, northern England and Northern Ireland, he added. He said winds would strengthen through the day - especially along the south coast, with gusts reaching up to 80mph. Very high winds are forecast for Friday evening and Saturday morning, as is rain, while Sunday should be mostly dry. Next week's weather is not expected to be as wet or windy as in recent days.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-26183403

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Some warm/moist air being dragged up from the south into this system, hence increasingly intense rainfall moving in across SW England:

post-1052-0-25113500-1392371700_thumb.pn

20C in Bilbao, northern Spain - though high temperature probably the result of the Fohn effect from the strong southerly wind descending the Picos de Europa mountain range. Buoy in the Bay of Biscay recording 15C/11C, so flow is pretty moist.

• Like 2

Storm at 957mb as of 6am, just how many sub 960mb storms this winter? Hurricane force winds too

Posted Image

An impressive system, a long fetch of warm moist air so could be a lot of rain over the high ground especially after the main fronts have cleared

Posted Image

Posted

Latest NMM (on Meteociel) shows gusts between 70-75mph from the south coast up to about Birmingham for around midnight ... is it time to extend those warnings further inland?

Gusts over 65 mph last from 7pm tonight to 8am tomorrow for my part of the south coast!

Edited by rjbw
  • Like 1

Seems to be hardly anything approaching sw at the moment.

Frequent showers and more organised spells of rain expected to follow from the SW later. The wrap around will bring more spells of rain into the SW especially into tonight and tomorrow as well, a fairly prolonged spell of wet weather. 40-50mm across parts of the SW expected in total.

Heavy sleet and wet snow here, trying to stick too!

Edited by Bobby
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

Looks like less rain then forecast to me at the moment.

It has just been explained where the moisture is being sucked from and is clearly shown in the european sat shot a few posts ago.the met office rainfall radar is not a good indicator of rain potential in a storm of this size.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Weather Events

Latest NMM (on Meteociel) shows gusts between 70-75mph from the south coast up to about Birmingham for around midnight ... is it time to extend those warnings further inland?Gusts over 65 mph last from 7pm tonight to 8am tomorrow for my part of the south coast!

GFS 06z tightens isobars further through the English Channel, Southern and SE England. I suspect the MetO will increase the area currently under amber warning with regards to the winds tonight with more widespread gusts and stronger - 65mph to 75mph. 

Lots to observe over the coming hours.....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

That front started off well this morning, a downpour of hail!

Currently at 17mm of rain here, since 5:30am. Lots of flooding all over the roads!

Posted

Wind is picking up now, been raining for most of the morning. Nothing of note yet, but certainly not pleasant outside!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms storms and more storms

SkyWarnUK warnings :

http://www.skywarn.org.uk/current.html

Everything bar the kitchen sink.

Edited by Candice
  • Like 1