Sign in to follow this  
knocker

Extraordinary Story

Listening to women's hour just now and there was a woman telling how her very autistic child, Francis, bonded with a cat called Billy.

I'm not sure why she got the cat in the first place as I missed the beginning but anyway she did.

Immediately, to her amazement they got on like a house on fire, lying on the floor cuddling up and rubbing heads, etc, which was way beyond anything Francis had done before.

But things went beyond that. Francis hated baths and used to go into melt down. One day she and her husband were desperately trying to bathe Francis with no success when the bathroom door was pushed open and Billy strolled in, put his paws on the bath and put his head on Francis who calmed down and had his bath.

Similarly potty training was next to impossible. Apparently this is quite normal with autistic children  Anyway much the same thing happened. Francis was in the bath with parents attempting the virtual impossible when Billy jumped in and sat next to him. So if Billy can do it so can you so to speak. Success.

Funny thing is I've had cats for many years, unfortunately not now, and they are rarely like that.

• Like 2

Awwww, that's lovely. Who says cats are cold, selfish creatures. I absolutely adore cats. We've always had them in our family.

Thanks for sharing, Knocker. :)

You could look at our Luke's problems in terms of autistic spectrum. He could not talk ( never left the 'babbling' stage that is pre language) and the whole deal requiring 24hr care. When I first met him my then partner already had two cats and both were very wary of Luke ( too many tail grabs From him I guess!) so I did have concerns when my Son , Jamie, wanted a dog.

Because of their work in the U.S. ( with the 'emotionally disturbed') I choose a King Charles Spaniel . The bond between both boys and Dog was a Joy to behold! Molly is an absolute mind reader and when either was in the least bit glum she'd be there nuzzling and demanding a cuddle ( which she also tolerated). Never a curled lip from her ( had to teach her to fight!) and only ever barks indoors to alert us to her needs or because something was needed from the kids.

With most of human communication being non verbal I wonder if the lack of language bulks up this communication and makes non verbal kids 'open books' to our animals?

• Like 3

I don't know GW but it's very interesting and moving. On a slightly different plane dogs can also work wonders in old peoples homes but that is really a different scenario.

One thing I forgot to mention. The woman said that Francis does not make eye contact, apparently this is quite normal, ( excuse my ignorance on this), and a dog is  normally accustomed to this. But it seems this doesn't bother Billy in the least.

I made a mistake the little boy is called Fraser.

Billy the cat was rescued from an abandoned house. Fraser was a two-year-old autistic child with a multitude of problems when he first met Billy at the cat protection shelter. Billy purred, laid his paws across Fraser and they have been inseparable ever since. Slowly but surely Billy has transformed Fraser's life.When Fraser Met Billy by Louise Booth is a mother's touching, true story of how a rescue cat called Billy transformed her autistic boy's life.When Fraser Met Billy is published 13th February 2014.