Your months of year in order of preference

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

In 2013:

January - cold and very snowy

March - ditto

August - consistently warm, but not hot, with a great thunderstorm

April - sunny, dry, cold and frosty

July - pleasantly warm most of the time, torrential rainstorm towards the end of the month and some thunder/lightning

February - cold, sunny and dry

November - cool, sunny and dry, with more air frost than any winter month so far - much better than your typical dreary November

September - generally benign, but pleasant

June - cloudy and benign

May - ditto, but also cold

December - nondescript, excessively mild

Edited by cheese

Posted

Best:worst month of recent years:

1990 August:February

1991 February:June

1992 May:August

1993 November:September

1994 February:September

1995 March/August/December 3-way tie:February

1996 June:May

1997 April:June

1998 August:October

1999 July:January

2000 December:October

2001 March:September

2002 No half-decent months:November

2003 April:December

2004 February:October

2005 June:January

2006 July:October

2007 Apr:July

2008 May:August

2009 February:July

2010 December:July

2011 Sept/Oct transition:February

2012 March:June

2013 January:December

The autumn months certainly appear in the worst column a lot, until that recent run of awful summers at least. 

Posted

In terms of what I've come to expect in my 20-odd years of observation:

December - I look forward to December very much, as the magic of Christmas coupled with the long nights and a much-increased chance of wintry weather over November give great excitement. It's not very reliable of course but no month is for weather in this country, and December usually gives us some decent frosty spells if it doesn't snow (which it actually often has done late in the month).

July - high summer: nights are still short and landmasses and oceans alike still heating up, so sunny days are more likely to be accompanied by higher temperatures, day and night, than June. It's usually wetter than June but summer rainfall tends to be short and heavy rather than drizzly. July was disappointing (often revolting) between 2007 and 2012 but I'm willing to mark that fecal run of Julys down as bad luck.

June - the potential for very fine summer weather but with too much cool crap ruining it (including fine sunny days which lead to chilly nights), which isn't that common in July and August. The best perk is the sun being at its strongest, so even days with unremarkable temperatures feel warm when the sun comes out (which it does at least as reliably as July and definitely moreso than August).

May - very hit and miss. May is glorious when summer gives an early showing but is miserable when spring decides to drag its heels.

April - the month which can give you anything. The flip side of this is that actual extremes are limited, with snow not hanging around and proper summer warmth (about 25C for me) being rare.

February - pretty unremarkable though it often saves the day in mild winters with a least something wintry. Less Atlantic dross than January and December too.

August - I have some very good weather memories of this month (1995 in particular) but it tends to be more unsettled than June or July. Still pretty good if there's enough sunshine, and the nights are rarely chilly.

March - not bad really, capable of putting January to shame despite the now-noticeable increase in daylight hours. Actual warmth like in 2012 is too rare for me to get excited about though.

September - rather bland for the most part but late summer warmth isn't that uncommon either and is nice when it occurs (plus the nights are still quite mild).

January - flatters to deceive most years despite historically being the standout winter month. It's especially disappointing when the Christmas feeling evaporates into the new year and you're left with nothing to lighten up the mood and even more so when any wintriness in December has receded (this has happened so many times). Drab.

November - the only consolation is that it's not October. The chance of wintry weather increases but it's still not very common.

October - rubbish. Hardly any warmth or frost. Strong winds can be interesting (and they're as likely in October as at any other time of the year), but most of the time it's just moderate gusts and lots of rain.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
Posted
  • Location: Yorkshire Puddin' aka Kirkham, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom
  • Weather Preferences: cold winters, cold springs, cold summers and cold autumns
  • Location: Yorkshire Puddin' aka Kirkham, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom

For me since I am a year round cold fan it depends strongly on the airmass and weather pattern dominance throughout each year as to my order of months by preference.  Throughout my life this varied strongly from year to year.

For example in 1993 which had a second half almost entirely dominated by a mixture of cold Maritime Polar and Continental Polar air my months in order were:-

These 6 are all rivals for the top in 1993:-

July

August

September

October

November

December

However since the first half of 1993 was dominated by firstly unsettled very mild Maritime Tropical air and then warm modified Continental Tropical air these 6 all close to the bottom:-

January

February

March

April

May

June

In 2011 the summer represented a welcome cool break in an otherwise ridiculously warm year.

The 3 summer months in 2011 which were dominated by a mixture of cool Continental Polar Northeasterlies and cool showery stagnant Continental Polar lows share the top spot:-

June

July

August

January 2011 shares a very middle of the road spot since it featured an equal mix of cold Continental Polar Rex Blocking and blowtorch and stormy Maritime Tropical Zonality.

However all of the other months in 2011 which had a mixture of torch Maritime Tropical Zonality and Continental Tropical plumes share the bottom spot:-

February

March

April

May

September

October

November

December

2013 was like 1993 in reverse with firstly cold Continental Polar air and then cool Maritime Polar air dominating in the first half and a mixture of hot Continental Tropical air and very mild and stormy Maritime Tropical air in the second half.

All the cool months in the first half of 2013 and November rival each other for the top spot:-

March

January

April

February

November

May

June

The other remaining months of 2013 were all horrendously mild and rival the bottom spot:-

September

August

October

July

December

Edited by Craig Evans
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and hot.

June 

Longest days, hazy late afternoons. The very start of Summer and you know there's a lot of warm weather on the way. Can often tip July for the hottest day. The smell of fresh cut grass. 

July

Potential to be the hottest month of the year. Still long days and Summer holidays so it's often quiet. However I feel June tops it. July tends to be all of one of the other . It's either heatwave or washout. July is often wet whereas June is often dry. 

May

Can often produce some really Summer like weather. The days are getting long. Often the driest month of the year. Summer on the horizon. In recent years however it tends to be a cloudy month, despite overall it having the most sunshine hours over the whole UK. Not in recent years. 

August

Like July it can be amazing, however in recent years tends to be very wet and bland. Summer is still firmly in control and long nights are still present. Middle of the Summer holidays and is a prime holiday month. Hottest day of the year common. 

September

Often a dark horse with many people. People associate it with Autumn but it more often than not produces very nice Summer weather. Is usually a very stable, warm month. I often prefer it to August for these reasons. Only downside is the nights are starting to close in and it can be quiet wet. Although not the case in recent years. 

April

Usually the first proper Spring month. Despite many people's perception of it being wet it is actually the second driest month. Nights are starting to lengthen nicely. Would be ranked higher if not for it's lack of warmth over the Summer months and May. 

March

The end of Winter, usually. Can sometimes produces some pleasant weather, like this year. Let down by it's still fairly short nights, and the feeling of not being Winter, but not quiet Spring either. Can be a horrid Winter month, as with last year or a nice Spring month, like this year. Unpredictable month. 

December

A festive month. Not much else to say. Only reason it's ranked this high. Most cloudy month of the year. 

November

Very drab month. Can be mild or very cold, much like March in it's unpredictability. Nights really closing in and Winter on the horizon. 

October

End of the summer, nights beginning to noticeably close in. Leaves falling off the trees. Also typically the wettest month of the year. Can sometimes, albeit rarely, produce some Indian Summer weather. On the whole, a depressing month though. 

February

Still in the clutches of Winter. Is often a snowy month. Only reason it's picked over the dreaded January is for it's common dryness and the fact that Winter is on it's last legs.

January

In my opinion, the very worst month. Typically the coldest and second most wettest. Usually very cloudy. Right in the middle of Winter when Spring seems like a lifetime away.  

Edited by matty007

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

June 

Longest days, hazy late afternoons. The very start of Summer and you know there's a lot of warm weather on the way. Can often tip July for the hottest day. The smell of fresh cut grass. 

July

Potential to be the hottest month of the year. Still long days and Summer holidays so it's often quiet. However I feel June tops it. July tends to be all of one of the other . It's either heatwave or washout. July is often wet whereas June is often dry. 

May

Can often produce some really Summer like weather. The days are getting long. Often the driest month of the year. Summer on the horizon. In recent years however it tends to be a cloudy month, despite overall it having the most sunshine hours over the whole UK. Not in recent years. 

August

Like July it can be amazing, however in recent years tends to be very wet and bland. Summer is still firmly in control and long nights are still present. Middle of the Summer holidays and is a prime holiday month. Hottest day of the year common. 

September

Often a dark horse with many people. People associate it with Autumn but it more often than not produces very nice Summer weather. Is usually a very stable, warm month. I often prefer it to August for these reasons. Only downside is the nights are starting to close in and it can be quiet wet. Although not the case in recent years. 

April

Usually the first proper Spring month. Despite many people's perception of it being wet it is actually the second driest month. Nights are starting to lengthen nicely. Would be ranked higher if not for it's lack of warmth over the Summer months and May. 

March

The end of Winter, usually. Can sometimes produces some pleasant weather, like this year. Let down by it's still fairly short nights, and the feeling of not being Winter, but not quiet Spring either. Can be a horrid Winter month, as with last year or a nice Spring month, like this year. Unpredictable month. 

December

A festive month. Not much else to say. Only reason it's ranked this high. Most cloudy month of the year. 

November

Very drab month. Can be mild or very cold, much like March in it's unpredictability. Nights really closing in and Winter on the horizon. 

October

End of the summer, nights beginning to noticeably close in. Leaves falling off the trees. Also typically the wettest month of the year. Can sometimes, albeit rarely, produce some Indian Summer weather. On the whole, a depressing month though. 

February

Still in the clutches of Winter. Is often a snowy month. Only reason it's picked over the dreaded January is for it's common dryness and the fact that Winter is on it's last legs.

January

In my opinion, the very worst month. Typically the coldest and second most wettest. Usually very cloudy. Right in the middle of Winter when Spring seems like a lifetime away.  

Feb dry? I would say wettest top 3, Dec wettest, then Jan, then Feb, then Nov surely

Posted

Feb dry? I would say wettest top 3, Dec wettest, then Jan, then Feb, then Nov surely

On average over the whole county, February is a dry month. 

Posted

Driest to wettest months in the UK - 

May

April

June

July

February

August

March 

September

December

November

January 

October

Of course it will vary with where you live. Where I live for example the driest month is February, followed by March and April. 

Edited by matty007

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

My order of preference;

November

December

January

February

October

September

March

August

July

June

May

April

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

DECEMBER- Xmas and all that

OCTOBER  - I Iove that time of the yr,the falling coloured leaves,Halloween etc. Its also my birth month.

NOVEMBER - The anticipation of xmas and the coming winter.

JANUARY  - The hope of cold and snow although more often then not my hopes come to nothing

FEBERUARY - Same as JAN.

SEPTEMBER - Anticipation of the coming of Autumn proper and the sun becoming that more gentle in the sky, daylight length becoming somewhat shorter.

AUGUST - The end of summer can be a lovely time of the yr. Autumn geting close.

MARCH - The Autumn/Winter season is over which i can find a bit depressing normally(although this yr i admit im happy about it for once due to the winter we did have). Spring least fav season.

JULY - By the time we get to July im really starting to long for the shorter days and return of autumn,dont like it too warm. But im glad to be past june and the days getting shorter again.

APRIL- Same feeling about this month as March really. But can be a nice time of yr ,every season does have its charms.

MAY - One of the most boring months of the yr imo. But can be a pleasant time of the yr.

JUNE - What feels like the near constant daylight does my head in.

Edited by sundog
  • Like 3

In terms of weather

June

Mar

Apr

May

Dec

Jan

Feb

Sept

July

August

Oct

Nov

At the top, spring as summer is on its way. May a bit lower, as summer hasn't quite arrived , June is often the best summer month, July and august a bit lower down as they can be a bit disappointing.

September a bit higher as any good weather is a bonus.

October and November are the worst as no wintry weather but winter is drawing in.