Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East England/East Anglia Regional Weather Discussion 10/02/14

Snowangel-MK

Posted

I am full of admiration for all the work being done by the frontline staff, be they the Emergency Services, Troops, EA employees etc but the real unsung heroes/heroines are the local communities and volunteers who have all pulled together. Sue Burrows in particular, a volunteer Flood Warden in Wraysbury, was inspirational on the news report I watched yesterday.Posted Image

Sue Burrows tackling the Defence Secretary yesterday for anyone who missed it :

http://news.sky.com/story/1209672/defence-secretary-tackled-over-thames-floods

She spoke, he acted. Well done Sue and all the other volunteers and residents. Maybe the 'powers that be ' are finally beginning to get the message ?

Posted

morning all!

Looks like this morning's rain is in Kent to my South. Wonder when it might reach here. Probably see a load of broken umbrellas about today which really pees me off-why do people think they can throw broken umbrellas just on the floor in the street?!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Morning all, I scored a zero in the snow cup..... Again :p

Clear, but not even a frost. Time to have our butts kicked by mother nature for the umpteenth time this winter. 

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Morning, whilst the Midlands north are waking up to a dusting of snow, here in south Kent it's been pouring down with rain for the last hour or more and that's before the main rain arrives later. Potential for 50 -60 mph gusts inland later, 60 - 70 mph towards southern facing coasts, so take care.

Edited by Nick F
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Tornadoes, Snow and Hot Sun

Another member that seems to have missed the 23rd December into Xmas eve wind event in the SE? It was much worse wind wise here than October.I'm starting to think that some folk were so full of 'festive cheer' they missed it!

I think it depends on where you live lol . October was worse than December where I am without a doubt.
  • Like 1

Posted

Morning all, I scored a zero in the snow cup..... Again Posted Image

Clear, but not even a frost. Time to have our butts kicked by mother nature for the umpteenth time this winter. 

Big fat ZERO for me too Vic.:(  Bright n crisp here atm.

Posted

Yes there is, it is minor and trasitory as the front passes overnight and may give a chance of wintry precip, it may not happen and if it does it is short lived but it is there and has been in regional forecasts.

So as I saidThere was no snow forecast and no snow fell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme aside from heat. Pref cold and snow

Morning all,

I hope you are all ok.

A lovely walk to work from the tube this morning in SE1. looking like its going to get rough again later.....stay safe you lot

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

What? Trees are in leaf? I doubt it. It's not just temperature it's daylight hours too. Snowdrops, hellebores, aconites and crocuses are flowering in my garden but they were flowering last year when it was still cold and I've seen them in full bloom in snow. They take advantage of higher light levels as they aren't shaded by trees at this time of year and don't rely on insects to pollinate them.

They have little green stems on them already, will not be long till they are in full bloom.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Already gusting in the 40's here the storm technically is not even here yet. Going to be a scary day later.

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.

I think it depends on where you live lol . October was worse than December where I am without a doubt.

yes,anyone in the extreme east of our region caught the 'sting in the tail' of that system as it deepened rapidly as it exited the UK.Back to the here and now,65mph inland gusts possible later here in the SE.Keep eyes peeled for unsafe structures,flying bins etc.Stay safe.
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms,Hot `n` sunny!

M2 still shut,warnings upgraded and i didn`t win the lottery.

&^%$ it.why did i bother getting up.....life looked so much better while asleep! :D

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Amber Warning of Wind for London & South East England :

Hampshire, Isle of Wight, Southampton, Portsmouth, West Sussex, Brighton and Hove, East Sussex, Kent & Surrey

A vigorous area of low pressure is expected to move northeastwards across northern parts of the UK later on Wednesday, clearing eastwards early on Thursday. This is likely to be accompanied by a swathe of southwesterly gales across many areas which may be severe in places. Winds will veer more westerly later on Wednesday.

A first peak in the winds is likely over southern and southwest England around the middle of Wednesday but with the main swathe of even stronger and potentially damaging winds crossing parts of Wales then northern England later in the day.

The public should be prepared for the the risk of disruption to transport and possibly also power supplies. In addition, large waves are likely to affect some coasts.

This warning should be viewed in the broader context of the Yellow Wind warning.

The warning has been updated to slightly broaden the amber area, now including more of southern England, South Wales, and also into more of northwest England. Gust speeds have also been increased a little.

Issued at:

0423 on Wed 12 Feb 2014

Valid from:

1000 on Wed 12 Feb 2014

Valid to:

2350 on Wed 12 Feb 2014

Initially, southern and southwestern counties of England are likely to see southerly gales with gusts of 60-70 mph, perhaps 80 mph on the south coast for a brief period. Then parts of western England, Wales and northern England will bear the brunt as the wind veers west to southwesterly this afternoon with gusts of 60-70 mph widely, and gusts of 80-90 mph along some coasts of north and west Wales and perhaps northwest England. Gusts may reach 100 mph across the most exposed parts of NW Wales.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?regionName=se&from=rss&sn=60C32EB7-86BD-B39B-9E2A-1BBD0A0C34B3_7_SE&tab=warnings&map=Warnings&zoom=5&lon=-3.50&lat=55.50&fcTime=1392163200

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny; chilly and sunny; thunderstorms; extreme

Reports of thundersnow in the South West overnight. Envy

What have we got? Another day of wet feet and smashed umbrellas Posted Image

Posted

Wind gusts will peak approx 15:00 hrs today Posted Image .........Please stay safe everyone Posted Image

ECM is going for a very cold breakdown from the 19th Feb. Beast from the East?? Posted Image  Let's await JP's take on this model run. I wonder if ECM will play ball in it's later run

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Satellite image (courtesy of Dundee SRS) UK on right of image. Today's storm = the mass of white cloud !!

post-10773-0-85678500-1392195024_thumb.p

Morning all,

Looks like it will be an extremely wet and stormy day today, gales and severe gales will readily develop already across Devon, Cornwall and South Wales, these will spread rapidly North and East through the late morning into early afternoon to affect all parts of England and Wales.

The storm system is expected to cross and peak during the period between 15:00hrs and midnight with the most damaging winds expected across exposed South West England and all of Wales, The Midlands, North West England, North England and North East England - expect some major disruption during this period.

Batten down the hatches and please take extreme care if you plan on travelling, it will be extremely dangerous, especially in worst affected areas, stay safe !

• Like 3